Surveying Climate COP Participants

Jennifer Allan

Jul 18, 2024, 8:58:43 AM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to GEPED
Dear colleagues,

I seem to think that several of us are -- or plan to be -- surveying participants in climate COPs. If so, would there be interest in joining forces so we survey more efficiently? Perhaps we may also be asking similar questions.

If so, please reach out to me directly and I'm happy to organize a chat.

Best,
Jen

Nicholas Watts

Jul 18, 2024, 9:07:22 AM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to jennifer...@gmail.com, GEPED
Dear Jen,
Youth have posted without indicating your role, your home institution, the COP or COPs you have worked on or plan to work on. Perhaps you assumed GEPED would include this as a default. Perhaps you could clarify - to the list.
Best wishes,
Nicholas S J Watts FRSA
Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Commonwealth Studies, University of London (UK)
Sent from my iPhone

Maniates, Michael Fields

Jul 18, 2024, 1:41:49 PM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to nsjw...@gmail.com, jennifer...@gmail.com, GEPED
Dear Nicholas,

I expect that your note was written In haste and, consequently, lacking in the conviviality that’s the norm on the gep-ed list.  Feel free to email me directly if a private clarification of those norms would be useful to you.

Best wishes,
Michael Maniates

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2024, at 9:08 AM, Nicholas Watts <nsjw...@gmail.com> wrote:

  - External Email -

Important: This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.

Nicholas Watts

Jul 18, 2024, 2:01:15 PM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to Maniates, Michael Fields, jennifer...@gmail.com, GEPED
Dear Michael
My apologies, I thought I was making a straightforward point, but I do usually know how to place people who are addressing the list. There was no intention on my part of. Offending Jen, but I was not aware that I should have known who she was. I was on my iPhone so couldn’t access her (or Jessica’s) email address.
If you do have a set of norms, do send them to me.
All best,
Nicholas
Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Jul 2024, at 18:41, Maniates, Michael Fields <michael....@yale-nus.edu.sg> wrote:

 Dear Nicholas,

Jennifer Allan

Jul 19, 2024, 4:34:45 AM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to GEPED
Dear colleagues,

To put the original purpose of the (admittedly hastily written) email at the top of the thread: Several colleagues use surveys as a data collection tool. I've recently reviewed a few articles that used on and offsite surveys of UNFCCC COP participants. Björn-Ola Linnér does excellent work evaluating the role of climate COP side events every year. The UNFCCC Secretariat conducts several surveys for various purposes during and after COPs. I'm considering using a participant survey for a book project.

Collective data gathering may be an opportunity to reduce repetition and (hopefully) raise response rates. Given the different timelines and goals of various projects and perhaps ethics approvals, there will likely be hurdles. However, the benefits could outweigh the challenges

All the best,
Jen

Dr Jen Iris Allan
Senior Lecturer in International Relations
Department of Politics and International Relations

Cardiff University

Y Dr Jen Iris Allan

Darlithydd mewn Cysylltiadau Rhyngwladol

Adran Gwleidyddiaeth a Chysylltiadau Rhyngwladol

Prifysgol Caerdydd

Recent publications:

Morin, J. F., Allan, J., & Jinnah, S. (2023). The survival of the weakest: the echo of the Rio Summit principles in environmental treaties. Environmental Politics, 1-22.

 Allan, J. I., et al. (2023). Making the Paris agreement: Historical processes and the drivers of institutional design. Political studies71(3), 914-934.

 Allan, J. I. (2023). Advocating for health and climate. Bulletin of the World Health Organization101(2), 158-160.

 Allan, J. I., & Bhandary, R. R. (2022). What’s on the agenda? UN climate change negotiation agendas since 1995. Climate Policy, 1-11.