Political Economy of the Environment and Climate Research Incubator Mini-Conference @ UCLA 8/30/23

buntaine

Mar 7, 2023, 11:26:56 PM3/7/23
to gep-ed
Overview

We are seeking applications for a research incubator mini-conference to be held at UCLA on Wednesday August 30th (the day before the 2023 APSA Annual Conference) on the “Political Economy of the Environment and Climate”. The main goal of the conference is to form connections between scholars who would like to expand their research focus on the political economy of environment and climate, catalyze new research efforts in the field, and spark new collaborations. Unlike a traditional conference, the format will mix paper presentations, small working group conversations on emerging areas of research, feedback sessions for new research ideas, and lightning presentations by job market candidates. The submission deadline is April 14th, 2023. Apply at:

https://forms.gle/Z9AkWcawfApUG6eY8

Purpose of the Mini-Conference

Political scientists are increasingly turning their attention to the ways that electoral incentives, interest groups, public participation, government institutions and international organizations affect responses to pressing environmental issues and climate change. They are also considering the ways that economic conditions and institutions structure policymaking and the development of interest groups and coalitions around environmental issues. As climate and environmental change accelerate, research in this area is poised to become a central part of the discipline. We will select contributions that investigate direct connections between politics, institutions, and environmental and climate outcomes.

This research incubator mini-conference aims to consolidate and build connections between scholars working on the political economy of environment and climate. At present, panels and papers on this topic are distributed between STEP, Public Policy, Political Economy, International Relations, Comparative Politics, and American Politics sections. With a mini-conference we hope to provide a setting for a more cohesive conversation on these issues and a place to highlight the work of innovative junior scholars and bring it into conversation with cutting-edge research from more established scholars. We also plan to include several roundtables and working group sessions that will allow participants to explore and potentially collaborate on new research efforts in the field. Participants should plan to arrange and fund their own travel. Lunch, coffee and light refreshments will be served at the event. We hope that the mini-conference can serve as a locus for the important conversations going on in the discipline around environmental political economy and become a regular event around APSA over time.

Organizing Committee
Kathryn Baragwanath (Australian Catholic University)
Mark Buntaine (University of California, Santa Barbara)
Federica Genovese (University of Essex)
Amanda Kennard (Stanford University)
Vally Koubi (ETH Zurich)
Michael Ross (University of California, Los Angeles)
Luke Sanford (Yale University)

buntaine

Apr 11, 2023, 12:43:40 AM4/11/23
to gep-ed
Dear colleagues,

If you would like to participate in an APSA pre-conference on the political economy of environment and climate change, please fill out a short application form by the end of the week (4/14). We aim to put together a program that will allow people to form new connections and collaborations in this expanding research community. See below for more information.

Mark Buntaine