Queer Experiences Within the Bounds of International Relations

Stacy VanDeveer

Jun 25, 2024, 10:48:41 AMJun 25
to Gep-Ed, Jamie Hagen

Gep-ed Colleagues,

This piece demonstrates the value of connecting LGBTQ early career scholars and graduate students to ISA’s LGBTQ caucus (and presumably other such organizations).
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/epub/10.1177/03043754231183560

Abstract

In this commentary, from our positionality as members of the LGBTQA Caucus executive committee, we consider the academic and embodied barriers that stand in the way of a more inclusive IR from the perspective of queer and trans scholars in the discipline. We offer our reflections from our positionalities as queer scholars applying queer theory in IR, including our work in the Caucus to support LGBTQ + scholars in the discipline as a means of confronting what continues to be a very narrowly accessible space – geographically, financially, socially and linguistically. Relatedly, we consider the embodied experience of not belonging to the discipline of IR; an experience that many LGBTQ + scholars will recognise.

Cheers,

--Stacy

Stacy D. VanDeveer

Professor of Global Governance & Human Security

Dept of Conflict Resolution, Human Security and Global Governance, McCormack School of Policy & Global Studies,  UMass Boston

&

2023-24 Zennström Visiting Professor of Climate Leadership, Dept of Earth Sciences, Uppsala University

--Google Scholar Publications List---