Foundations of Socio-Environmental Research: Legacy readings with commentaries (Cambridge University Press, 2023)

Simone Pulver

Mar 15, 2023, 1:44:16 PM3/15/23
to gep...@googlegroups.com

Dear GEP-ED,

I am writing to share the announcement of our new book with Cambridge University Press:

Foundations of Socio-Environmental Research: Legacy readings with commentaries

News about our interactions with the environment hits us daily, from zoonotic disease pandemics to flood damage due to climate change to deforestation driving species extinctions.  It’s always topical, it always seems new, and in scale it often is.  Never before has a pandemic spread this far or this fast.  Never before have our actions increased temperatures this much.  However, the interactions between people and their environments are not new but have long precedents.  Foundations of Socio-Environmental Research tracks the history of research about socio-environmental interdependence via 53 foundational readings--spanning centuries, continents and disciplines.  Intended as a canonical reference volume, the assembled readings with critical commentaries from leading experts showcase key ideas about socio-environmental change, and in the concluding chapter we link those ideas to the wide diversity of current approaches to socio-environmental scholarship.  For research teams, our book can serve as a springboard for advancing collaborative, interdisciplinary projects.  As a resource in the classroom, the legacy readings with commentaries provide instructors and students with a landscape view of the past and present of socio-environmental research.

Edited by:

William R. Burnside

Simone Pulver, University of California, Santa Barbara

Kathryn J. Fiorella, Cornell University

Meghan L. Avolio, Johns Hopkins University

Steven M. Alexander, University of Waterloo

Contributors:

Richard York, Emilio F. Moran, Richard B. Norgaard, Patricia Balvanera, J. Baird Callicott and Marina Fischer-Kowalski

Cambridge University Press, 2023

Table of Contents

Introduction. Foundations of Socio-Environmental Research. Simone Pulver, William R. Burnside, Kathryn J. Fiorella, Meghan L. Avolio, and Steven M. Alexander

Part I. Early Classics of Socio-Environmental Research. Commentary. Richard York

Part II. The Roots of Socio-Environmental Research in Geography and Anthropology. Commentary. Emilio J. Moran

Part III. Socio-Environmental Research in Economics, Sociology, and Political Science. Commentary. Richard B. Norgaard

Part IV. Socio-Environmental Research in Ecology. Commentary. Patricia Balvanera

Part V. Ethical, Religious and Historical Approaches to Socio-Environmental Research. Commentary. J. Baird Callicott

Part VI. Technology, Energy, Materials, and Socio-Environmental Research. Commentary. Marina Fischer-Kowalski

Conclusion. Looking Forward: Legacy Readings and Contemporary Socio-Environmental Research. William R. Burnside, Kathryn J. Fiorella, Meghan L. Avolio, Steven M. Alexander, and Simone Pulver

Dr. Simone Pulver

Associate Professor, Environmental Studies

Director, Environmental Leadership Incubator

University of California at Santa Barbara

Foundations of Socio-Environmental Research (Cambridge University Press)