App State Sustainable Development Assistant Professor position in agroecology

Jacqui Ignatova

Nov 11, 2022, 2:25:39 PM11/11/22
to gep...@googlegroups.com, Anne Fanatico
Hi everyone,

I hope that this message finds you well. My awesome department of Sustainable Development at Appalachian State is hiring! Appalachian State University is located in Boone, NC, situated in the gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains, and has two departments on campus focused on sustainability.

The Sustainable Development Department at Appalachian State University is hiring an Assistant Professor focused on agroecology.  We seek a dynamic teacher and scholar whose work addresses the intersections of ecological agriculture, climate resilience, biodiversity conservation, social justice, and community-based development (locally, regionally, and globally).

The Assistant Professor will teach three courses per semester. Please see https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/36941 for details; contact Search Committee Chair Dr. Anne Fanatico (fanat...@appstate.edu) with any questions. Review of applications will begin on January 13, 2023. This is a full-time, tenure track position, which begins in August 2023.

I am on the committee and am happy to answer questions about this tenure-track position and what it's like working here.

All the best,
Jacqui

--
Dr. Jacqueline Ignatova
Associate Professor
Department of Sustainable Development
Appalachian State University
Author of Contesting Africa’s New Green Revolution
Zed/Bloomsbury

Appalachian State University acknowledges the Indigenous peoples who are the original inhabitants of the lands on which our campus is located. The Cherokee, Catawba and other Indigenous peoples left their mark as hunters, healers, traders, travelers, farmers and villagers long before the university was established. Today, descendants of these communities, which include citizens of the eight tribal nations in North Carolina as well as others, live and work in this region — an area with settler-colonial policies, including those that attempt to disenfranchise, remove and eradicate Indigenous people and their way of life.

This acknowledgment is aligned with our university’s core value of creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive community. We embrace our institutional responsibility to recognize the people, culture and history that compose our App State Community. We acknowledge and honor the diverse Indigenous peoples connected to this land and share in their stewardship of these mountains and waters. We fully recognize, support and advocate for the sovereign rights of all of North Carolina’s eight tribal nations, which include the Coharie, the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, the Haliwa-Saponi, the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina, the Meherrin, the Sappony, the Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation and the Waccamaw Siouan. We understand the historical connection our university has with these Indigenous communities and commit to creating spaces for collaboration and strengthening support structures to build a more equitable future together.