Fwd: Invite | PUBLIC POSITIONS SERIES - STS, Political Order and Maintaining Planetary Life by Amade M’charek | 4 May | 4pm SA TIME

Gianluca Miscione

May 1, 2022, 9:19:36 AM5/1/22
to gianluca...@zhaw.ch
***Apologies for cross-postng***
---------- Forwarded message ---------

Dear all,

WiSER invites you to the third lecture of our new PUBLIC POSITIONS SERIES

STS, Political Order and Maintaining Planetary Life

Amade M’charek (Department of Anthropology, University of Amsterdam)
Vital Elements: Post_colonial Flows and Forensics as an Art of Paying Attention
In this address I want to narrate several stories that can help us grasp that magnitude of death and dying in the Mediterranean Sea. An attempt to narrate the crisis away, and to attend to the chronicity of Europe’s ongoing (post)colonial involvement on the African continent. In these stories of encounter on the beaches of Zarzis, a harbor town at the southern coast of Tunisia, my entry points are (traces of) bodies that wash ashore. Following material traces, such as, worn-out sneakers, slippers, clothing and toys, I suggest a broadening of the notion of forensics. From a practice of delivering evidence about a single event, to an art of paying attention, to attend to the convoluted and chronic nature of what we are witnessing. The latter is a move towards materiality and the durability of extractive and colonial relations.
Respondent: Hlonipha Mokoena (WiSER)

4th May 2022
16.00 - 17:30 (SA time)

Please register for this Zoom event in advance of the meeting
https://wits-za.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0lde2oqj8sGNfFCs8Up1gLi5K3xQ9cgtOH

This communication is intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without the permission of the University. Only authorised signatories are competent to enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in writing to the contrary.