going spatial with python

Christian Ledermann

Nov 8, 2013, 1:50:34 AM11/8/13
to geospati...@googlegroups.com
Lightning talk by Sara Safavi at the Austin, TX PyLadies Meetup

http://www.sarasafavi.com/

--
Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

Nairobi - Kenya
Mobile : +254 702978914

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>
Message has been deleted

Christian Ledermann

Mar 26, 2014, 1:17:18 PM3/26/14
to geospati...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Karim,

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Karim Bahgat <karim.bah...@gmail.com> wrote:

Going along with the topic of the post, I recently compiled a list of all of the geographic Python packages I knew of, and tried to collect them all on one website with links and descriptions:

http://pythongisresources.wordpress.com/

Hopefully it will be as useful for others as it is for me.

(Btw Christian, I have listed your PyGeoif under the "conversion" category. Let me know though if any of the info is inaccurate)

Yes the info is fine.

other packages for conversion:

which does nothing more than convert WKT -> __geo_interface__, geojson compliant dictionaries. The Pro is that it is clean and can parse any valid  WKT you throw at it, the drawback that it is at least one order of magnitude slower than regex based solutions

a bit of an edge case is https://github.com/cleder/czml
which reads and writes czml files which currently are only understood by the cesium web globe

to read and write kml files, it uses __geo_interface__ for the geometries so it works well with other libraries

Note that there are plenty more KML and GPX libraries on pypi, just search for these keywords

also a very useful library is geoalchemy(2): https://github.com/geoalchemy if you think of sqlachemy as the swiss army knife for orm, this is the geospatial component for it

Karim

---------

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

London - UK
Mobile : +44 7899488511

Christian Ledermann

Mar 27, 2014, 7:52:00 AM3/27/14
to geospati...@googlegroups.com
another application I would add is

Karim Bahgat

Apr 17, 2014, 12:13:17 AM4/17/14
to geospati...@googlegroups.com
I can't believe I forgot about Kartograph, I found it once and remember being amazed by the screenshot gallery. Thanks for all the other suggestions too, they're now added to the website.