Setup of the last Geoshield 1.0 version

eric grosso

Oct 3, 2011, 12:36:48 PM10/3/11
to Geoshield project
Hi Milan,

Thanks first for all the work you did/do with GeoShield.

I installed today the version version 0.2.1 version of GeoShield.

I saw also that you did lots of improvements since this version
through the presentation you did
in FOSS4G 2011. In your presentation, you wrote that the installation
of GeoShield 1.0 can be done
as follows:
1. Copy the geoshield-1.0.jar file into the GeoServer’s WEB-INF/lib
directory
2. Modify the web.xml file adding a Filter definition
3. Create the GEOSHIELD_USER in GeoServer
4. Configure the permissions on GeoShield

Therefore, I checked out the svn code and created the
geoshield-1.0.jar. So, it's ok for the steps 1, 2 and 3
(for your information, I had to add the following repository
http://download.osgeo.org/webdav/geotools
in the pom.xml in order to have access to the 2.7.1 version of
GeoTools).
But to configure the permissions on GeoShield, I have to install
GeoShield using the same method that
the one of the 0.2.1 version ( + improving the database using the
upgrade-0.2.1-to-0.2.2.sql file), isn't it?

Thanks for your answer and once again thnaks for your great work about
this security topic.

Regards,
Eric

Milan Antonovic

Oct 4, 2011, 2:50:33 AM10/4/11
to geoshiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

Il giorno 03 ottobre 2011 18:36, eric grosso <eric.gr...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Hi Milan,

Thanks first for all the work you did/do with GeoShield.

I installed today the version version 0.2.1 version of GeoShield.

Thank you for your interest in GeoShield.

I saw also that you did lots of improvements since this version
through the presentation you did
in FOSS4G 2011.

The version presented at the FOSS4G was still a Beta.
Since then I am testing it in our production environment, and more improvements are still in progress.
I hope until the end of this week a RC version will be released of GeoShield and GeoServer's plug-in.

When I came back from Denver, after some real usage tests I realized that the approach used was not optimal (to slow with requests with many layers),
so I changed a few things about the communication between GeoServer and GeoShield.

In your presentation, you wrote that the installation
of GeoShield 1.0 can be done
as follows:
1. Copy the geoshield-1.0.jar file into the GeoServer’s WEB-INF/lib
directory

Correct.

2. Modify the web.xml file adding a Filter definition

Take a look at the attachment.

Rows:
from 73 to 106
from 240 to 244

3. Create the GEOSHIELD_USER in GeoServer

In the GeoServer data directory create the GeoShield user:
GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR/security/users.properties

admin=geoserver,ROLE_ADMINISTRATOR,enabled
geoshield=geoshield,ROLE_GEOSHIELD,enabled

4. Configure the permissions on GeoShield

Using it like a proxy it is always the same like the previews versions.
Using it in combination with the GeoServer Security Plugin is the same.

If you register a new WMS service for the "http://192.169.0.10/geoserver/wms" address.
After configuring the permissions, you will be able to access the secured layer through
GeoShield (http://192.168.0.8/geoshield/wms/yourpath) or GeoServer + Plug-in (at
http://192.169.0.10/geoserver/wms).

Therefore, I checked out the svn code and created the
geoshield-1.0.jar. So, it's ok for the steps 1, 2 and 3
(for your information, I had to add the following repository
http://download.osgeo.org/webdav/geotools
in the pom.xml in order to have access to the 2.7.1 version of
GeoTools).

I'll check this.

But to configure the permissions on GeoShield, I have to install
GeoShield using the same method that
the one of the 0.2.1 version ( + improving the database using the
upgrade-0.2.1-to-0.2.2.sql file), isn't it?

Yes that's it

Thanks for your answer and once again thnaks for your great work about
this security topic.

Regards,
Eric

I warn you that you are using an unstable version of "GeoShield" and "GeoShield's Resource Access Manager Plug-in".
I will commit the latest changes in these days and release a more stable version.

If you have any other question or suggestion, don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards

  Milan

web.xml

Eric Grosso

Oct 4, 2011, 5:18:43 AM10/4/11
to geoshiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Milan,

Thanks very much for your quick answer and your clear explanations about the installation.
I'm going to test the current version (even if a little bit unstable) and I'm very happy to see
that the 1.0-RC is on the way.

In my last message, I commit mistake: I wanted to write 2.7.2 GeoTools version and not 2.7.1.

About a possible suggestion, there is maybe the creation of a REST API to manage the users
and the rights of GeoShield. It's obviously not a priority for you but seeing different projects
such as the Geonode one, it seems that the management of data, styles, database connection, etc.,
is more and more used and useful. Therefore an extension of this dynamic management to users and
permissions (on data and services) should also be useful.

Thanks once again.

Best regards,
Eric