Need Help for first GeoShield setup

giohappy

Jan 3, 2011, 4:40:19 AM1/3/11
to Geoshield project
Hi.
Today I've tried Geoshield for the very first time, to evaluate its
use in our GeoExt+Geoserver application.
I've configured a WMS service. I have a Geoserver running locally on
geoserver/ context, so I set up a WMS service as you can see here:
http://tinyurl.com/32dlbsy
Then I set the permissions for it: http://tinyurl.com/2wsahk2

Now it's not clear to me how GeoShield will treat submitted requests.
I suppose it can proxy multiple services, depending on the context,
right? How to addredd GeoShield to the right one?
I mean, having a basic GetMap sample request like this:

http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=population&Format=image/png&request=GetMap&layers=topp:states&width=550&height=250&srs=EPSG:4326

how should I turn it into a GeoShield request?

A naive request like the following :
http://localhost:8080/geoshield/wms?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=population&Format=image/png&request=GetMap&layers=topp:states&width=550&height=250&srs=EPSG:4326

returns me an error page: http://tinyurl.com/2wr9b7n

Thanks for your support and this usefull product,
Giovanni

Milan Antonovic

Jan 3, 2011, 6:06:52 AM1/3/11
to geoshiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Giovanni,
Thank you for evaluating GeoShield.

2011/1/3 giohappy <gioh...@gmail.com>

Hi.
Today I've tried Geoshield for the very first time, to evaluate its
use in our GeoExt+Geoserver application.
I've configured a WMS service. I have a Geoserver running locally on
geoserver/ context, so I set up a WMS service as you can see here:
http://tinyurl.com/32dlbsy
Then I set the permissions for it: http://tinyurl.com/2wsahk2

As you show in the images,
you added your geoserver service in the right way.

Have you also set the permission on the layers that you want to protect
in the "WMS/WFS permissions" tab?

permissions.jpg

Now it's not clear to me how GeoShield will treat submitted requests.
I suppose it can proxy multiple services, depending on the context,
right?

You're right

How to address GeoShield to the right one?

When you are asking geoshiled you should add the name (path) that you defined for your geoserver.
In your case "geoserver", try somthing like this:

http://localhost:8080/geoshield/wms/geoserver?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=population&Format=image/png&request=GetMap&layers=topp:states&width=550&height=250&srs=EPSG:4326

returns me an error page: http://tinyurl.com/2wr9b7n

Thanks for your support and this usefull product,
Giovanni

If you have any other question or remarks don't hesitate to contact me on this group.

Best regards

  Milan

permissions.jpg

giohappy

Jan 4, 2011, 5:48:15 AM1/4/11
to Geoshield project
Hi Milan. Thanks for the reply.
Ok, now it works.
Two points:

1 - the WMS permission configuration requires a "geometry" field.
Why?

2 - the response from Geoshield is times slower then querying
Geoserver directly. I would expect it the first time, to authenticate
and authorize the user, but it seems that the response slowness is in
the image rendering phase: I can see the image rendering in blocks of
strips in the browser, while with geoserver it appears
istantaneously....

giovanni

On 3 Gen, 12:06, Milan Antonovic <milan.antono...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Giovanni,
> Thank you for evaluating GeoShield.
>
> 2011/1/3 giohappy <gioha...@gmail.com>
>
> > Hi.
> > Today I've tried Geoshield for the very first time, to evaluate its
> > use in our GeoExt+Geoserver application.
> > I've configured a WMS service. I have a Geoserver running locally on
> > geoserver/ context, so I set up a WMS service as you can see here:
> >http://tinyurl.com/32dlbsy
> > Then I set the permissions for it:http://tinyurl.com/2wsahk2
>
> As you show in the images,
> you added your geoserver service in the right way.
>
> Have you also set the permission on the layers that you want to protect
> in the "WMS/WFS permissions" tab?
>
> [image: permissions.jpg]
>
> > Now it's not clear to me how GeoShield will treat submitted requests.
> > I suppose it can proxy multiple services, depending on the context,
> > right?
>
> You're right
>
> > How to address GeoShield to the right one?
> > I mean, having a basic GetMap sample request like this:
>
> >http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=popula...
>
> > how should I turn it into a GeoShield request?
>
> > A naive request like the following :
>
> >http://localhost:8080/geoshield/wms?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=popula...
>
> When you are asking geoshiled you should add the name (path) that you
> defined for your geoserver.
> In your case "*geoserver*", try somthing like this:
>
> http://localhost:8080/geoshield/wms/*geoserver*
> ?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=population&Format=image/png&request=GetMap&layers=topp:states&width=550&height=250&srs=EPSG:4326<http://localhost:8080/geoshield/wms?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=popula...>
>

> > returns me an error page:http://tinyurl.com/2wr9b7n
>
> > Thanks for your support and this usefull product,
> > Giovanni
>
> If you have any other question or remarks don't hesitate to contact me on
> this group.
>
> Best regards
>
>   Milan
>
>  permissions.jpg
> 74KVisualizzaScarica

giohappy

Jan 4, 2011, 6:08:56 AM1/4/11
to Geoshield project
Mmm, it seems much more responsive now. Don't know, sorry for the buzz
maybe its just something with my tomcat instance...

On 3 Gen, 12:06, Milan Antonovic <milan.antono...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Giovanni,
> Thank you for evaluating GeoShield.
>
> 2011/1/3 giohappy <gioha...@gmail.com>
>
> > Hi.
> > Today I've tried Geoshield for the very first time, to evaluate its
> > use in our GeoExt+Geoserver application.
> > I've configured a WMS service. I have a Geoserver running locally on
> > geoserver/ context, so I set up a WMS service as you can see here:
> >http://tinyurl.com/32dlbsy
> > Then I set the permissions for it:http://tinyurl.com/2wsahk2
>
> As you show in the images,
> you added your geoserver service in the right way.
>
> Have you also set the permission on the layers that you want to protect
> in the "WMS/WFS permissions" tab?
>
> [image: permissions.jpg]
>
> > Now it's not clear to me how GeoShield will treat submitted requests.
> > I suppose it can proxy multiple services, depending on the context,
> > right?
>
> You're right
>
> > How to address GeoShield to the right one?
> > I mean, having a basic GetMap sample request like this:
>
> >http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=popula...
>
> > how should I turn it into a GeoShield request?
>
> > A naive request like the following :
>
> >http://localhost:8080/geoshield/wms?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=popula...
>
> When you are asking geoshiled you should add the name (path) that you
> defined for your geoserver.
> In your case "*geoserver*", try somthing like this:
>
> http://localhost:8080/geoshield/wms/*geoserver*
> ?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=population&Format=image/png&request=GetMap&layers=topp:states&width=550&height=250&srs=EPSG:4326<http://localhost:8080/geoshield/wms?bbox=-130,24,-66,50&styles=popula...>
>

> > returns me an error page:http://tinyurl.com/2wr9b7n
>
> > Thanks for your support and this usefull product,
> > Giovanni
>
> If you have any other question or remarks don't hesitate to contact me on
> this group.
>
> Best regards
>
>   Milan
>
>  permissions.jpg
> 74KVisualizzaScarica

Milan Antonovic

Jan 10, 2011, 3:37:21 AM1/10/11
to geoshiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Giovanni,
Sorry for the delay (I was in holiday without Internet Connection).
Glad to hear that GeoShield is more responsive now.

1 - the WMS permission configuration requires a "geometry" field.
Why?

The geometry field is used to check the permission against a getFeatureInfo request.
It check spatial permissions for the coordinates asked by the user.
Actually I take a look at the source code, however the geometry name, maybe, is not really necessary.
In the next upgrade I'll take a look in this point.

2 - the response from Geoshield is times slower then querying
Geoserver directly. I would expect it the first time, to authenticate
and authorize the user, but it seems that the response slowness is in
the image rendering phase: I can see the image rendering in blocks of
strips in the browser, while with geoserver it appears
istantaneously....

Currently GeoShield is proxying all the request and there are some processing in the middle.
for this reason it cannot be as fast as GeoServer. However we are planning some
performance improvements in the next releases.

Best regards

  Milan