About Geoshield Version

Hugo

Apr 2, 2012, 5:05:53 AM4/2/12
to geoshiel...@googlegroups.com
Hello geoshielders,

First of all let me congratulate you for this initiative and nice project.
I have heard about Geoshield back in FOSS4G 2010 in Barcelona.
Untill now i've never had the need to use something like this, but hey, now is the time :).

After googling a bit, i've found that GeoShield is still alive and making some evolution changes. But i've got a bit confused now. I saw comments and presentations about GeoShield 1.0 as a standalone and as a geoserver plugin (something like geoshield-1.0.jar). However i'm not able to find any files concerning this version, not even in the svn. So my question here, for the moment, s simple: is this version released yet? if not, when do you expect to release it? Meanwhile, which approach do you advise me to start trying GeoShield?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

--
Hugo Martins

Milan Antonovic

Apr 3, 2012, 3:40:00 AM4/3/12
to geoshiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hugo,

Hello geoshielders,

First of all let me congratulate you for this initiative and nice project.

Thank you very much!

I have heard about Geoshield back in FOSS4G 2010 in Barcelona.
Untill now i've never had the need to use something like this, but hey, now is the time :).

After googling a bit, i've found that GeoShield is still alive and making some evolution changes.

 Yes GeoShield is still alive. The 1.0 version is started in January 2012 but due to lack of time now the development is paused. During 2012 it will continue as soon there are will be some founding or time.

But i've got a bit confused now. I saw comments and presentations about GeoShield 1.0 as a standalone and as a geoserver plugin (something like geoshield-1.0.jar). However i'm not able to find any files concerning this version, not even in the svn. So my question here, for the moment, s simple: is this version released yet?

The GeoShield plugin is in beta.. but we are using it in a production environment since November 2011 without problems.

if not, when do you expect to release it?

I will prepare the download page with the latest modification these days, so you will be able to test the latest GeoShield (not 1.0, but 0.3.0)

Meanwhile, which approach do you advise me to start trying GeoShield?

You can begin installing the geoshield-0.2.1-war.zip to make some testing. It is not enabled with the GeoServer plug-in but it works as security proxy.

I will advise will warn you as soon I will upload the latest code,
on the other hand if you like the project and/or you have some skills with Java programming why not participate in the
GeoShield development?

Best regards

-- Milan Antonovic
360.gif

Milan Antonovic

Apr 10, 2012, 7:58:05 AM4/10/12
to geoshiel...@googlegroups.com
The latest update of GeoShield, plus the GeoServer plug-in are ONLINE.

http://code.google.com/p/geoshield/downloads/list

Hugo

Apr 16, 2012, 8:39:08 AM4/16/12
to geoshiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Milan,

Thanks a lot for your quick upload! I will try it in the following days.
Unfortunately I have no Java Programming skills to actively contribute to the promising Geoshield project.

Kind regards,
Hugo

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Milan Antonovic <milan.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
The latest update of GeoShield, plus the GeoServer plug-in are ONLINE.

http://code.google.com/p/geoshield/downloads/list

--
GeoShield mailing lisl
geoshiel...@googlegroups.com

Hugo Martins

Hugo

Apr 26, 2012, 10:28:03 AM4/26/12
to geoshiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Milan,

Finally i've got some time to test Geoshield! And my first doubts are raising.
I was able to sucessfully install geoshield 0.3.0 under tomcat. Everything runs smoothly except with WFS. I don't know why exactly but i'm not able to receive WFS request responses. When looking into the catalina log file i can see:

26/Abr/2012 14:31:48 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor process
SEVERE: Error processing request
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
at java.lang.Throwable.getStackTraceElement(Native Method)
at java.lang.Throwable.getOurStackTrace(Throwable.java:591)
at java.lang.Throwable.printStackTrace(Throwable.java:510)
at java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter.format(SimpleFormatter.java:72)
at org.apache.juli.FileHandler.publish(FileHandler.java:198)
at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:458)
at java.util.logging.Logger.doLog(Logger.java:480)
at java.util.logging.Logger.logp(Logger.java:680)
at org.apache.juli.logging.DirectJDKLog.log(DirectJDKLog.java:167)
at org.apache.juli.logging.DirectJDKLog.error(DirectJDKLog.java:135)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:274)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor.process(Http11AprProcessor.java:877)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11AprProtocol.java:594)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$Worker.run(AprEndpoint.java:1675)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
26/Abr/2012 14:31:51 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler process
SEVERE: Error reading request, ignored
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
26/Abr/2012 14:31:56 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor process
SEVERE: Error processing request
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

So i've increased the permgen size in JAVA_OPTS. I have a Windows 7 32-bit machine with 2GB of ram. My JAVA_OPTS looks like the following: -Xms1536m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=1536m -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=36000 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=36000 -XX:+UseParallelGC

Nevertheless, i always get that out of memory error related with permgen size. Any hints on how to solve this?

My second question is related with the geoserver plugin. I strictly followed the configurations described in the readme.txt file. Then, when i restart the tomcat i'm no longer able to load any app deployed under tomcat may it be geoserver, geoshield or even tomcat manager). Here i get no errors at all. Any ideas? And what would be the difference between using geoshield 0.3.0 alone or geoshield0.3.0+geoshield geoserver plugin?

Kind regards,
Hugo
--
Hugo Martins