Recommended server to run georchestra

Marcelo Vargas

May 3, 2022, 3:27:32 PM5/3/22
to georchestra
Hi, I'm new to georchestra, we would like to install georchestra to work with spacial data, what kind of server  (cpu's, ram and storage) you can recommended to install the system. We are thinking to deploy georchestra on Ubuntu Server distribution.

We have one question more,  is recommended run georchestra on a dedicate server instead of a virtual machine?

Thanks in advanced

Landry Breuil

May 4, 2022, 3:33:01 AM5/4/22
to bmarc...@gmail.com, georc...@googlegroups.com
On 03/05/2022 21:27, Marcelo Vargas wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to georchestra, we would like to install georchestra to work
> with spacial data, what kind of server (cpu's, ram and storage) you can
> recommended to install the system. We are thinking to deploy georchestra
> on Ubuntu Server distribution.

You can try ubuntu server but i think most "traditional installs" (eg
not docker-based) use debian stable. That should be mostly the same,
barring some software version differences...

as for hardware requirements, the default install recommends 3 tomcat
instances,
and with the latest release there's also elasticsearch for geonetwork 4,
so i'd say at least 16Gb RAM to be comfortable.

as for storage, it all depends how much data you plan to serve, because
georchestra itself (in an "empty" install) fits in 2Gb. but then you
also need to plan storage for data & logs.

all this only applies for traditional deployments on tomcat, if you're
planning to try docker in production i have no knowledge about it, but
it should be fairly the same (+add some more for docker overhead).

> We have one question more,  is recommended run georchestra on a dedicate
> server instead of a virtual machine?

it should be fine on VMs... depends how they're actually
sized/provisioned. Here, we run georchestra on LXC containers.
--

Landry Breuil