Geopy Group Being Cleaned Up

Calvin Spealman

Jan 4, 2010, 2:51:19 PM1/4/10
to geopy
Please feel free to use this group again! We need active discussion to
keep energy in this project and its community. Geopy is too widely
used to have to be so quiet and smothered. New members are being
actively moderated and old spam is being cleaned out (slowly). I
wanted everyone to know they should expected less and eventually no
spam and this can start being trusted as an actual mailing list of
value again.

Lukasz Szybalski

Jan 7, 2010, 3:23:46 PM1/7/10
to ge...@googlegroups.com
Just out of curiosity, can geopy be used to verify addresses?

For example is any of the geopy "geocoder service" is able to tell me
if the address exists to some extent?

Out of 1000 addresses how many of them are correct? how many do not exist?

Thanks,
Lucas

> --

Setup CalendarServer for your company.
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/CalendarServer
Automotive Recall Database - See if you vehicle has a recall
http://lucasmanual.com/recall

Liam Kirsher

Jan 7, 2010, 8:52:27 PM1/7/10
to ge...@googlegroups.com
Yay! Good to hear :-)

Liam Kirsher

Jan 7, 2010, 9:12:46 PM1/7/10
to ge...@googlegroups.com
Lukasz,

I am definitely not an authority on this, but here are a few things to look out for.  I tried this with both Yahoo and Google.
In the end I found Yahoo was more satisfactory.

You can get false negatives if the address is not well formed, for example, some of our input data had stuff like "2nd building on right."  That can cause a problem even if the rest of the address is correct.
You can also get false positives if some portion of the address is understood.  For example, it might not find the street address, but if it finds the city it returns positive.

In the cases where there was a valid positive match, I then used the normalized address returned by Yahoo (that is, it fixes up abbreviations, has correct postal code, etc.).

You probably need to do some kind of rate limiting, otherwise you will get errors if you submit requests too fast.

In the end, I was unable to completely avoid doing some of it by hand.  However, using geopy was certainly useful in the process.

Best,
Liam