road distance

Luis Quesada

May 10, 2010, 9:04:59 AM5/10/10
to geopy
Dear all,
Is there a way of computing the road distance (i.e., the distance that
you would travel if you were to use the road network) between a pair
of coordinates using geopy?
If not, are you aware of any other package that can be used for this
purpose?
Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Luis

Douglas Mayle

May 10, 2010, 11:50:04 AM5/10/10
to ge...@googlegroups.com
Sure, If you have access to the road data, you can perform an A* search:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A*_search_algorithm

Alex Ezell

May 10, 2010, 12:58:41 PM5/10/10
to ge...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis,
I've not done it in Python directly, but I have done it using the Directions API (AJAX) that Google Maps provides. You basically are asking for directions between the two points, but what you really care about is the distance value that the API returns.

Would that work for you?

Alex

Luis Quesada

May 10, 2010, 1:05:45 PM5/10/10
to ge...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, May 10, 2010 5:58 pm, Alex Ezell wrote:
> Hi Luis,
> I've not done it in Python directly, but I have done it using the
> Directions
> API (AJAX) that Google Maps provides. You basically are asking for
> directions between the two points, but what you really care about is the
> distance value that the API returns.
>
> Would that work for you?t
Thanks a lot Alex! It seems this is what we need.
Cheers,
Luis

> Alex
>
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Luis Quesada <
> luis.omar.qu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> Is there a way of computing the road distance (i.e., the distance that
>> you would travel if you were to use the road network) between a pair
>> of coordinates using geopy?
>> If not, are you aware of any other package that can be used for this
>> purpose?
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Cheers,
>> Luis
>>
>> --
>>

> --

Luis Quesada
Research Scientist
Cork Constraint Computation Centre
University College Cork
Cork - Ireland
Phone: (+353) 21 420 5376
Fax: (+353) 21 420 5369
Web: http://4c.ucc.ie/~lquesada

Luis Quesada

May 10, 2010, 12:41:17 PM5/10/10
to ge...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, May 10, 2010 4:50 pm, Douglas Mayle wrote:
> Sure, If you have access to the road data, you can perform an A* search:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A*_search_algorithm

Well, that's precisely the point: I don't have access to the road data.
Cheers,
Luis