geoplugin stopped working

Michael Fowlkes

Nov 8, 2018, 4:38:02 PM11/8/18
to geoPlugin
Been using geoplugin on site i was building last week. was working great until today. I think maybe site got crawled and i did not realize until now i should have had code to prevent blacklist.

if i check domains ip here - http://www.geoplugin.net/ip_status.gp?ip=MYSITESIP ... under blacklist it shows ABSENT, so im not sure

i tried using on brand new domain on totally different server IP and same problem, so i think was my whole server.

i have ZERO traffic on this server yet, so not sure what happened.

any thoughts?
thanks

geoPlugin Support

Nov 8, 2018, 4:46:12 PM11/8/18
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,
Your server IP was blocked on the firewall with the following note:
2018-11-08 15:53:01: 3022 req/min

As explained in our Acceptable Use Policy, we have a zero-tolerance
policy against massive excessive use (we can consider that 25x the
permitted limit is massive excessive use).

Whether bots made you hit this limit, an error in coding, a DoS attack,
or a shared hosting server IP, this is not the problem of geoplugin.net,
but yours. All is explained in our AUP by which you abide by using
geoplugin.net. We have these checks and balances to maintain stability
for the thousands of our other users, which is why it is zero-tolerance
against excessive abuse.

I hope this clarifies better what has happened for your IP 142.54.xx.xx

--
geoPlugin support

Michael Fowlkes

Nov 9, 2018, 11:59:04 AM11/9/18
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I understand was not your problem, but a result of me not realizing I needed to have code in place to prevent spider bots from making requests. It is a dedicated server not shared, I have turned the plugin off... would it be possible to remove firewall block and I will put the bot code in place to prevent it happening again. Since the server and domain is brand new with 0 traffic I did not realize the damage a google crawl would do. I would definitely put the code in place before using again if could unblock this one time
an email to geoplugin+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/geoplugin.