Osgeo Code Sprint 2018

andrea antonello

Jan 23, 2018, 3:03:14 AM1/23/18
to geopaparazzi-u., geopaparazzi-devel
Hi everybody,
I am considering to go to this year's code sprint in Bonn:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Code_Sprint_2018

Is anyone interested to join to work a bit on geopaparazzi. This could
be fun and it would be great also if user participated, in order to
refresh documentation, make a new clean and tested release and add
some funky new featue?

Just thinking out loud, let me know if there is interest. :-)

Ciao,
Andrea

Brent Fraser

Jan 25, 2018, 10:46:53 AM1/25/18
to geopapara...@googlegroups.com, andrea antonello, geopaparazzi-devel
Hi Andrea,
  Unfortunately I won't be able to make the code sprint, but I do have
some ideas for "funky new features":

1. Upgrade gpap Sqlite database to Spatialite database for better GIS
integration

2. Support map view of photo/thumbnails stored in Sqlite/Spatialite
database overlay

3. Enhance Profile support: Cloud download of profiles AND automatic
download of referenced files:
    tags.json file
    project file
    basemap files
    overlay files (AKA Spatialite databases)

4. Various small GUI tweaks for ease of use.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

Eli Adam

Jan 25, 2018, 1:45:18 PM1/25/18
to Brent Fraser, geopaparazzi-users, andrea antonello, geopaparazzi-devel
On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 7:48 AM, Brent Fraser <bfr...@geoanalytic.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrea,
> Unfortunately I won't be able to make the code sprint, but I do have some
> ideas for "funky new features":

I can't make it either but I've got ideas too.

> 1. Upgrade gpap Sqlite database to Spatialite database for better GIS
> integration
>
> 2. Support map view of photo/thumbnails stored in Sqlite/Spatialite database
> overlay

Thinking similarly and further on this idea, support linking
geographic features (say spatialite) to static file system files (or
embedded files in spatialite). The use case I'm thinking of is a
graphical index to land surveys. I've got a bunch of spatialite
polygons showing the extent of the land surveys and I've got an
attribute field that has a file name (or file path and file name) that
points to the PDF of the land survey. I'd like to select an area of
interest, get a list of results of intersecting polygons, and clicking
the field with the file name launches an external app to view the PDF
or brings the PDF up for viewing in Geopaparazzi.

Does that sound like a useful idea? Or feasible?

Best regards, Eli

> 3. Enhance Profile support: Cloud download of profiles AND automatic
> download of referenced files:
> tags.json file
> project file
> basemap files
> overlay files (AKA Spatialite databases)
>
> 4. Various small GUI tweaks for ease of use.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
> Brent Fraser
>

> On 1/23/2018 1:02 AM, andrea antonello wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>> I am considering to go to this year's code sprint in Bonn:
>>
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Code_Sprint_2018
>>
>> Is anyone interested to join to work a bit on geopaparazzi. This could
>> be fun and it would be great also if user participated, in order to
>> refresh documentation, make a new clean and tested release and add
>> some funky new featue?
>>
>> Just thinking out loud, let me know if there is interest. :-)
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Andrea

andrea antonello

Jan 26, 2018, 4:55:47 AM1/26/18
to geopaparazzi-users, geopaparazzi-devel
Hi all,
maybe we should create a wishlist page in the geopaparazzi wiki.

While I appreciate your proposals, it is not that I do not have good
ideas about what I could do at the code sprint. :-) My proposal would
be to work there together and/or with my support.

Actually I have two huge issues that I will approach one I get the
time and mindset:
1) change the current map rendering system to something that allows
the simple addition of tools and map rotation. My current options are
WorldWindAndroid (but at the time it doesn't support the mapsforge
tiling system) and the newer mapsforge. The latter doesn't nicely
support integrations with editing and selection, so I am temped to
wait.
2) change the database API with the dbs module of the Hortonmachine
project, which right now has a cleaner API and supports als H2GIS. It
also has a growing junit test base and is definitely what I want for
the future. This would also enable easily import/export to geojson and
more nice things. I have been using it in some project now and it
behaves very well both on desktop and on android.

Getting back to the code sprint, there will be some gvSIG developer
around, so I think I will be working with them on a better integration
between mobile and desktop GIS.

Cheers,
Andrea

Eli Adam

Jan 26, 2018, 11:50:21 AM1/26/18
to andrea antonello, geopaparazzi-users, geopaparazzi-devel
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 1:55 AM, andrea antonello
<andrea.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> maybe we should create a wishlist page in the geopaparazzi wiki.

Yes, that is a good idea. Which repo? Would it go here,
https://github.com/geopaparazzi/usermanual/wiki? Or should we revisit
here, https://github.com/geopaparazzi/geopaparazzi/wiki, and put it
there (but it probably needs to be cleaned up first)?

Best regards, Eli