Kazakhstan has officially moved from two timezones to one

Jack Jennings

Mar 12, 2024, 12:57:31 PMMar 12
to GeoNames
Hi - as of the 1st of March, Kazakhstan has now unified its timezone - instead of being split between UTC+6 and UTC+5 based on area, the entire country now uses UTC+5.

We'd really appreciate it if you could update this so that all locations in Kazakhstan report the correct timezone. Currently planning events in this region is extra difficult due to this change. Thanks in advance!

Jack Jennings

Jun 13, 2024, 9:01:59 AMJun 13
to GeoNames
Hey there,
Any chance this will be addressed?

Marc Wick

Jun 13, 2024, 9:09:00 AMJun 13
to geon...@googlegroups.com, Jack Jennings
Hi Jack

Where do you see an issue? Are you working with the timezoneid?
or the time returned in the webservice api?

The timezoneid associated with the locations does not change.. What you
describe is an additional rule so that for dates starting with 1st March
all timezoneids result in the same time. For historic reasons (to know
the exact local time in the past) the timezoneid will remain and will
not be unified.

Best Regards

Marc
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geonames/15933615-30a9-40fb-a171-cff39c462bf1n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geonames/15933615-30a9-40fb-a171-cff39c462bf1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jack Jennings

Jun 15, 2024, 3:37:28 AMJun 15
to Marc Wick, geon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc,
Thanks for responding - yes we work with the timezoneid, which is correct.
Your response has led me to go deeper into the code with a developer and we've found that it's a second library that we use which is outdated.
So nothing required from you!
Appreciate the response,
Jack