<score> values

Paul Dante

Nov 2, 2021, 5:41:06 PM11/2/21
to GeoNames
I was wondering how the <score> tag works? I understand it is supposed to give an idea of how relevant the result is to the query, but I can't make heads or tails of the values. Sometimes the values seem to be between 0-100, but other times I have specific queries that give score around 130 or 140 (e.g. an ADM!  search for "Alberta" give a score of 140) or even higher (PPL* search for Toronto has a score of 195). Also, what seem to be specific queries appear to get low score (e.g. an ADM1* search for "Alberta" only has a score around 40, even though it is the only result and the result is correct). And then an ADM1* search for "Columbia" has a slightly higher score for the "British Columbia" result than an ADM1* search for "British Columbia" (43 vs 41). So any insight into how to actually use the score would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Paul