Final Georgian Unicode pack for DajaVu by BPG

BPG Kolumbus

Jun 24, 2007, 1:02:21 AM6/24/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben and all community

Today is Jun 24 2007 and after extensive printing tests I am sending ready
Georgian pack (6 fonts) for DejaVu - now I am almost satisfied with glyphs,
and hope they would satisfy all users of Georgian scripture - also.

This pack can work till next update of DejaVu...

* * *

I hope in the future it would be possible to find allocation place also for
Mkhedruli-Mtavruli letters - inside any unassigned zone, I can also provide
keyboard driver printing Mkhedruli-Mtavruli from unassigned zone for Windows
systems...

* * *

PS

Ben, all

Georgian gliphs for DajaVuSans and DajaVuSerif included inside pack can
absolutelly fit and can be added to Condenced variations of DejaVu...

BPG

Attached

Georgian Unicode standard fonts pack for DejaVu by BPG-InfoTech
Besarion Paata Gugushvili (BPG)

1. BPG DejaVuSans (Mkhedruli and Asomtavruli) normal and bold
2. BPG DejaVuSerif (Mkhedruli and Asomtavruli) normal and bold
3. BPG DejaVuSansMono (Mkhedruli) normal and bold

June 24, 2007

ბპგ-ინფოტექის უნიკოდ სტანდარტის ქართული ფონტები პროექტისათვის „დეჟავუ“
ავტორი ბესარიონი პ. გუგუშვილი (ბპგ)
2007 წლის 24 ივნისი

BPG_Georgian_DejaVu_Fonts_24-Jun-2007.zip

Ben Laenen

Jun 26, 2007, 8:06:51 AM6/26/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com, BPG Kolumbus, dejavu...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi all,

yesterday I added BPG's Georgian glyphs to DejaVu, so they will be in
the next release next Sunday. Please test the snapshot at
http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/snapshots/dejavu-ttf-20070626-1913.zip to
make sure everything works.

BPG: about Mtavruli: if you can just put the Mtavruli glyphs in the
Private Use Area (code points U+E000 and beyond), or make a font with
the Mtavruli glyphs in the slots for Mkhedruli, we can take it from
there. As I said before, it's not a problem to put it in the font, it's
just a problem to make your programs show them to you :-)

Greetings
Ben

--
Q: What is black and white ivory and fills space?
A: A piano curve

BPG Kolumbus

Jun 26, 2007, 11:40:42 AM6/26/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com, benl...@gmail.com
Hi

I have downloaded and tested Georgian from "dejavu-ttf-20070626-1913" - it
is OK.

Ben: I think that it would be handy to put "Mkhedruli Mtavruli" into the
Private Use Area - then only problem would be keyboard driver...

BPG

PS
Now I am working on special "Sans Condenced" Georgian pack...

Ben Laenen

Jun 26, 2007, 11:53:55 AM6/26/07
to BPG Kolumbus, geof...@googlegroups.com
On Τρίτη 26 Ιούνιος 2007, BPG Kolumbus wrote:
> Now I am working on special "Sans Condenced" Georgian pack...

Actually, that's not needed: the condensed fonts are generated
automagically from the normal fonts...

Greetings
Ben

Vladimer Sichinava

Jun 26, 2007, 6:34:40 PM6/26/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to test them in theese days...
Sorry for my silence :) I'm under exams! :)

Vladimer

2007/6/26, Ben Laenen <benl...@gmail.com >:

--
E 'l naufragar m'è dolce in questo mare...

George Machitidze

Jun 27, 2007, 6:02:06 AM6/27/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
Hello BPG, Ben, Vladimer,

Regarding putting glyphs in private area: i think at first we must ask someone - is there any keyboard standard/already used solution for Mtavruli or not, it must be not just so easy desicion like "it's available, take it...", but the problem is that there is no standarts organisation in georgia  that can analyze this and take some desicions and all layouts that we use and that we've seen are created by people.
I'll try to contact to people who can help us in such situations.
--
Best Regards,
George Machitidze

Service Platforms Senior Engineer
Mobitel LLC, Beeline Georgia
Group of companies of VIMPELCOM

Ben Laenen

Jun 27, 2007, 8:19:14 AM6/27/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com, George Machitidze

Hi,

there is another problem with glyphs in PUA (private use area). And that
one is that one never should use those code points while typing a text.
The most important issue being that you cannot port the text to another
computer that doesn't happen to have the same font. Thus it has become
a bad habit to use PUA and new fonts usually put the glyphs "out of
bounds".

Out of bounds means that no code points are attached to the specific
glyphs, so there's no way of directly typing them. However, you can
reach them through OpenType features. Take the new Vista fonts for
example: they have no glyphs in PUA, yet there are smallcaps, old style
numbers, sub/superscripts etc... All without code points, and you can
only see them with good software (I don't know a program on Linux that
can do it).

It has been suggested elsewhere to use the "smallcaps" property for
Mtavruli. In a perfect world, applying the smallcaps style to a text on
a web page would then show Mtavruli instead of Mkhedruli. When I looked
at the case months ago I thought "titlecase" could be used for it. But
this has to be further investigated in OpenType.

In any case: using PUA is also a bad idea, and making keyboard layouts
using PUA is worse. There are IMHO two solutions to this: either
Unicode will encode Mtavruli in separate slots (not much chance for
that I think), or Mtavruli is put out of bounds and can only be reached
by applying style properties to a text (which Unicode is suggesting at
the moment).

I know it doesn't look really good for people that just want to use
Mtavruli, but you should ask the makers of all text rendering programs,
web browsers, word processors etc. for these features.

Greetings
Ben

Besarion Gugushvili

Jun 27, 2007, 9:41:04 AM6/27/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
Hi

There IS standard organization and so called "State Standard" in Georgia (under Soros fund "Open Society" http://osgf.ge)!

This "State Standard" is 8-bit standard...

Example:
GeoWeb - command line application. It can be used to convert HTML pages written in nonstandard georgian encoding into standard one. Current version can detect up to 24 non-standard georgian encoding analyzing font tag in your document and convert them according to strandard into Geo_Times font ----- :))

Also:

* * *

But generally problem is different.

In Georgia - if we count all media using computer technologies:

  • 70-75% are using 8 bit fonts - among them "State Standard" and also OTHER encodings
  • 30-25% are using Unicode (mostly web sites - but also here "Download Font To Read" is usual, must)
Most of state organizations including Ministeries are using 8 bit fonts for documenting.

Mass media and especially printed media GENERALLY are using 8 bit fonts beacuse technologies they are using (soft -- fonts themself, desktop publishing programs, spell checkers, etc... and also hardware) are not compatible with Unicode and 16-32 bit.

There are mass of "CONVERTERS" converting texts from one encoding to other - among them most using MS Word macros - also developped by "State Standard" -- on my computer I am to have at list 7-9 converter macros to handle various Georgian texts from various sources...

One of the most popular Georgian web site is http://convert.ge/en/text.shtml whic supports convertion to and from no less then 11 (!) encodings.

SO:
  • For Georgian computer media converting and keyboard driver manipulations are everyday life -- and there is no problem which are bit-codes of gliphs -- gliphs with ANY codes are used...
  • Unicode is one, SMALL part of encodings used in Georgia
And last: where to put "Mkhedruli Mtavruli"?

BPG

Gia Shervashidze

Jun 28, 2007, 9:34:53 AM6/28/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!
Really nice ones.

Regards,
g.\
(Gia Shervashidze)

Vladimer Sichinava

Jun 28, 2007, 6:21:48 PM6/28/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com, BPG Kolumbus, dejavu...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hello Gentle mans!

Positive test for: dejavu-ttf-20070626-1913.zip font collection
Sincerely I like them very much, here is a recapitulation screenshot:

I hope you like them too, right ?

http://gnome.inet.ge/alinux/tmp/dejavu-final.png

Gia Shervashidze

Jun 28, 2007, 9:00:58 PM6/28/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
შრიფტები (როგორც აღვნიშნე, [ძალიან]) კარგია
თარგმანი - რა მოგახსენო... :)

Vladimer Sichinava

Jun 28, 2007, 9:54:58 PM6/28/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
მაინც რა არ ვარგა ? ჩავინიშნავ... და შევასწორებ :)

ერთი შეხედვით რა ჩანს ნი-ტო?

Gia Shervashidze

Jul 2, 2007, 11:28:18 AM7/2/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
დაგიგვიანე, ახლახანს დავბრუნდი რაჭიდან. ერთი შეხედვით: :)

"დააათვალიერე", "შეჩერდი", გადატვირთე"
სჯობს "დათვალიერება", "შეჩერება", გადატვირთვა" (ისევე, როგორც მენიუს სხვა ელემენტებია)

"ფაილ სისტემი" - ?

"დამუშავება" vs "ჩასწორება" მენიუს ერთი და იგივე ელემენტია სხვადასხვა სახელით

"სახლის" ნაცვლად "თავფურცელს" ვარჩევდი

"ადგილმდებარეობის" ნაცვლად - "მდებარეობას" ან მისამართს"

Vladimer Sichinava

Jul 2, 2007, 7:37:21 PM7/2/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
დაგიგვიანე, ახლახანს დავბრუნდი რაჭიდან. ერთი შეხედვით: :)

კარგია!

"დააათვალიერე", "შეჩერდი", გადატვირთე"
სჯობს "დათვალიერება", "შეჩერება", გადატვირთვა" (ისევე, როგორც მენიუს სხვა ელემენტებია)

 გავითვალისწინე და უკვე ვასწორებ... nautilus-ის პაკეტია... ბევრი ბავშვური შეცდომა შევასწორე...

;)

"ფაილ სისტემი" - ?

გადავაკეთე - ფაილური სისტემა

"დამუშავება" vs "ჩასწორება" მენიუს ერთი და იგივე ელემენტია სხვადასხვა სახელით

ჩასწორება - შენი ნათარგმნია და OO.org-ისაა.
დამუშავება - ჩემი

რომელი ჯობია ?

"სახლის" ნაცვლად "თავფურცელს" ვარჩევდი

რუსები: domashnee direktorias ezaxian, home direcotry - yvela danarcheნი
მინდოდა სახლი დამეტოვებინა, როგორც ფუძე, იუნიქსში /home-ს დირექტორიის მსგავსად.

"ადგილმდებარეობის" ნაცვლად - "მდებარეობას" ან მისამართს"

გეთანხმები, შევასწორე ;)

kargi ikneba shensavit vinme rom shenishvnebs mazlevdes...
ცუდია ის რომ ვინც კი დააყენა ქართული გნომი...
არავის უნდა შენიშვნების მოცემა..და მეილის მოწერა...

ძილინებისა და კიდევ ერთხელ
მადლობა...

ლადო.

Vladimer Sichinava

Jul 2, 2007, 9:04:39 PM7/2/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com, Ben Laenen, Giorgi Machitidze, Gia Shervashidze
http://gnome.inet.ge/alinux/tmp/asomtavruli.png

Oh my God: http://www.parliament.ge/ I really respect
Georgian asomtavruli, but I can't really read that :)
main menues of site are in "asomtavruli" and the rest
in "mkhedruli"  ...

So the common (ignorant :P ) georgian who uses Dejavu Fonts in his Linux distro
will able to read only mkhedruli ! :)

It's really not acceptable !!!

Besarion Gugushvili

Jul 2, 2007, 10:52:40 PM7/2/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
Actually and really - if you are using font this web site is using - it looks as on the picture...

and on MS Windows and MS Internet Explorer Georgian font is coming to you as "dynamic" or "web font" - you do not nead to download an install it...

BPG

Jul 3, 2007, 8:53:05 AM7/3/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com

On 7/3/07, Vladimer Sichinava <vlsic...@gmail.com> wrote:

"დამუშავება" vs "ჩასწორება" მენიუს ერთი და იგივე ელემენტია სხვადასხვა სახელით

ჩასწორება - შენი ნათარგმნია და OO.org-ისაა.
დამუშავება - ჩემი

რომელი ჯობია ?

"ჩასწორება" 99 წლიდან მქონდა მოზილაში, შემდეგ "რედაქტირებით" შევცვალე", ახლა ისევ "ჩასწორებისკენ" ვიხრები.
"დამუშავებაც" თითქოს არაა ცუდი, მაგრამ მაგ მენიუში ხშირად "პარამეტრებიცაა"
ძალიან მნიშვნელოვანია ეგ ელემენტი ყველგან ერთნაირი იყოს - [უკლებლივ] თითქმის ყველა პროგრამას აქვს

 mesmis, mara ik "chasascorebeli" araperia....titkosta shecdomaa dashvebuli da chascorebaa sachiro.

Edit - ki damushavebasavitaa upro...an surac Redaktireba.

"სახლის" ნაცვლად "თავფურცელს" ვარჩევდი

რუსები: domashnee direktorias ezaxian, home direcotry - yvela danarcheნი
მინდოდა სახლი დამეტოვებინა, როგორც ფუძე, იუნიქსში /home-ს დირექტორიის მსგავსად.

ხო, ეგ გემოვნების საკითხია, ჩემთვის ორივე მისაღებია, უბრალოდ რაც მერჩივნა ის დავწერე.
"სათაო/პირველად/საწყის დასტაზე" რას იტყვი

sataro upro - /  <- root-ia
pirveladi - gaachnia vistvis, yvelas tavisi pirveladi unda hkonde mashin.
sackisic - igivea.. sackisi /root-ia da ara /home

HOME - saxli :) upro bavshvuria mara Unixomanebs egreve esmit tu ra dastaze midis saubari.

me saxls davtoveb... kargi ?

Vladimer Sichinava

Jul 3, 2007, 8:57:32 AM7/3/07

2007/7/3, Besarion Gugushvili <besa...@gmail.com>:
Actually and really - if you are using font this web site is using - it looks as on the picture...

and on MS Windows and MS Internet Explorer Georgian font is coming to you as "dynamic" or "web font" - you do not nead to download an install it...

BPG

The problem is that I use Linux + Firefox :)  And the actual result is not really usable...

Some solutions for this issue ?

P.S: I don't use MS Windows :)

BPG Kolumbus

Jul 3, 2007, 9:44:19 AM7/3/07
to geof...@googlegroups.com
Yes - there is A solution - font where instead of "Asomtavruli" is "Mkhedruli Mtavruli"

Here is "DejaVu Sans Mtavruli" - you can use it when is appropriate...

BPG