Climate protection or privilege? A whole systems justice milieu of twenty negative emissions and solar geoengineering technologies

Geoeng Info

Jul 6, 2022, 1:01:19 AM7/6/22
to carbondiox...@googlegroups.com, Geoengi...@googlegroups.com

Climate protection or privilege? A whole systems justice milieu of twenty negative emissions and solar geoengineering technologies

Benjamin K. Sovacool, Chad M. Baum, Sean Low

Abstract

In this study, we utilize a large and diverse expert interview exercise (N = 125) to critically examine the whole systems justice issues associated with ten negative emissions and ten solar geoengineering technologies. We ask: What equity and justice concerns arise with these 20 options? What particular vulnerable groups could be affected? What risks do these options entail for communities or the climate? Utilizing a “claims making” approach, we examine existing and prospective injustices across a pluralistic whole systems framework analyzing (i) resource extraction issues including minerals, chemicals, and fertilizers (ii) manufacturing, labor and ownership concerns, (iii) transportation-network and land-grabbing dynamics, (iv) unfair and exclusionary policymaking and planning, (v) operational injustices resulting from deployment and use, and (vi) waste flows, liabilities and disposal requirements. We then explore how these potential concerns culminate in a milieu of injustice cutting across the dimensions of distribution (who gets what), recognition (who counts), participation (who gets heard), capabilities (what matters), and responsibility (who does what). We conclude with insights for both policy and future research.