AGU Fall meeting 2021 - Sessions

Geoeng Info

Sep 12, 2021, 8:43:32 PM9/12/21
to Geoengi...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Here are some sessions on the coming AGU Fall meeting

------

SY019
Governance and Public Engagement for Geoengineering Research: Best Practice and Research Results.
Session ID#: 123496
Session Description:
This session invites research, practices, and frameworks to inform governance of geoengineering research. We seek research about public opinion, strategies for inclusive public deliberation, framing for the moral and ethical issues of research, and clear thinking about how governance of research can include, without being overwhelmed by, the moral and ethical issues of deployment. Questions to explore include: Under what conditions are an outdoor experiment appropriate? How do we balance local and nonlocal interests – what is the role of people impacted by climate change who don’t reside in the location of the experiment? How do we ensure processes for public deliberation don’t inherit or perpetuate systemic racism and colonialism? What do we know about how consideration of geoengineering research influences mitigation behaviors or public opinion about eventual deployment? We particularly invite papers from researchers in the global south or from communities at the leading edge of climate change.
----
GC005
Advances in Climate Engineering Research
Session ID#: 118900
Session Description:
Climate engineering (sometimes called Solar Radiation Management) involves proposed ideas to temporarily modify Earth's radiation budget, reducing the effects of climate change. Some of the most commonly discussed geoengineering ideas include stratospheric aerosol intervention, marine sky brightening, cirrus cloud thinning, and surface albedo modification. Future decisions about whether and how climate engineering might be deployed need a solid basis in natural science and engineering research. We welcome all contributions focusing on the natural science impacts of climate engineering, including climate modeling studies, engineering investigations, and experimental results. We also encourage novel studies of the economic, social, political, or ethical implications of climate engineering. We especially encourage abstracts from developing countries or underrepresented communities who may be disproportionately affected by climate change.Climate Intervention, Mitigation, Adaptation, and Restoration Solutions: Interdisciplinary Development and Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy

----
GC021
Climate Intervention, Mitigation, Adaptation, and Restoration Solutions: Interdisciplinary Development and Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy
Session ID#: 123161
Session Description:
Achieving a sustainable climate may not be possible without well-considered intervention strategies, including Solar Radiation Management and Carbon Dioxide Removal strategies, coupled with aggressive mitigation, adaptation and restoration measures. This complex problem requires an integrated, unified response from a multitude of research communities. Following three successful sessions at the AGU Fall 2020 meeting (GC048, GC049 and GC039), we propose this as a continuing session for the Fall 2021 meeting. This session will continue the interdisciplinary effort by convening experts from the variety of fields involved in developing portfolios of climate intervention solutions and their consequences. We invite a range of abstracts on possible climate intervention strategies, interdisciplinary research design, scenario development for combined intervention strategies, Earth System and process modeling, including observational analogues, and assessments of ecological and societal impacts. We also invite papers that consider a pluralistic portfolio of solutions, discuss values-informed climate research, and the social sciences.
----
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm21/webprogrampreliminary/Session119315.html
A027
Boundary Layer Clouds and Climate Change
Session ID#: 119315

Session Description:
Boundary layer clouds are a key element in Earth's climate system. Their response and feedback to climate change is a leading source of uncertainty in projecting Earth's radiation budget and climate. This session provides a platform for observational, theoretical, and modeling work on warm, supercooled, and mixed-phase boundary layer clouds from the microscale to the global scale. Topics include mechanisms by which boundary layer clouds interact with climate in the course of trends and variations in atmospheric circulation, temperature, humidity, radiation, and composition. Interactions between natural and anthropogenic aerosol and clouds, mechanisms that link clouds with biological activity, vegetation, and surface processes, and consequences for radiation, precipitation, and climate are of equal interest.