Geo-engineering approaches to climate change

Geoengineering News

Mar 26, 2023, 4:08:49 AM3/26/23
to geoengineering
https://bridges.monash.edu/articles/thesis/Geo-engineering_approaches_to_climate_change/22276381

Author
DAVIDE MARCHEGIANI

Thesis
 posted on 2023-03-15

Degree type
DOCTORATE

Abstract
Geoengineering is a discipline that aims to alter the climate to mitigate climate change impacts. Solar Radiation Management (SRM) plans to achieve this by reducing the amount of solar radiation absorbed within the Earth. Here, we evaluate SRM frameworks in an attempt to mitigate surface temperature and precipitation changes arising from increased atmospheric CO2. In chapter 1, we achieve the desired outcome by using an optimised SRM implementation. In chapter 2, we find increased precipitation reduction in experiments forced with quadrupled CO2 rather than increased solar radiation. Finally, in chapter 3, we reduce rainfall change by applying atmospheric heat fluxes.

KEYWORDS

geoengineering,  climate science, atmospheric science, climate engineering,  solar radiation management

Source: MONASH UNIVERSITY THESES