Hansen on albedo and carbon

Robert Tulip

Jul 5, 2024, 12:49:15 AM (11 days ago) Jul 5
to geoengineering

In his January 2024 newsletter titled Global Warming Acceleration: Causes and Consequences, Professor James Hansen stated that reduced albedo since 2015 is equivalent to a sudden increase of atmospheric CO2 from 420 to 530 ppm (bolded text in email below).

I am writing to seek comment on this remarkable statement.  If albedo loss over the last decade has the same warming effect as 110 ppm CO2, this appears to be ¾ of the effect of the historic CO2 rise from 280 to 425 ppm, equal to 145 ppm.  110/145 = 75.8%.

Does this mean darkening of the world in the last decade has had three quarters of the warming effect of all emissions since the Industrial Revolution?

If so, that suggests an urgent impetus for solar geoengineering to slow this accelerating feedback.

Regards

Robert Tulip

Jul 5, 2024, 2:20:10 AM (11 days ago) Jul 5
to rtuli...@yahoo.com.au, geoengineering
Robbie,

It is a remarkable statement.

It may be true … BUT … I am worried about the statement . The planet has definitely dimmed and the removal of sulphur on shipping fuel has definitely dimmed the planet ( as well as coal fire power stations)

The problem is how do you measure albedo?  It is difficult. One method I like, is to measure albedo by looking at the “Earth Glow” ( sunlight  reflected  from the earth illuminating the moon) .  I need to look at the way the albedo has been  measured.

cheers
Alan

Paul Stansell

Jul 5, 2024, 8:58:54 AM (11 days ago) Jul 5
to alang...@gmail.com, rtuli...@yahoo.com.au, geoengineering
Here is nice comparison of CERES and Earthshine albedo data

James Hansen

Jul 5, 2024, 10:20:10 AM (11 days ago) Jul 5
to rtuli...@yahoo.com.au, geoengineering
No.
The albedo decrease in these recent years is a combination of a forcing (mainly reduced cloud cover, the indirect aerosol forcing caused by a reduction of anthropogenic aerosols) and feedbacks (reduced cloud albedo and reduced surface albedo).
Don't try to combine the forcings and feedbacks, especially from a limited time period, into a general statement about the entire anthropocene.
We must sort out these mechanisms. We must understand both the feedbacks, which determine climate sensitivity, and the forcings.
Will try to clarify in the book I'm writing, but actually it mostly can be gleaned from our Pipeline paper.
Best, Jim

Alan Gadian

Jul 5, 2024, 11:35:51 AM (11 days ago) Jul 5
to jimeh...@gmail.com, rtuli...@yahoo.com.au, geoengineering, a.m.g...@leeds.ac.uk
Jim,
Thanks.
It has been appreciated for years that the planet has been dimming. The reduction in aerosols from fossil fuel burning has reduced aerosol and that is also known.  So i agree. Putting a magnitude to it is the problem.  Ironically warmer SSTs produce more haze and increases IR feedback .
Yes the feedbacks and processes are critical to understanding.  we are spot on ( except for aerosols reflecting some solar back) to charney’s warming curve   when he takes about it in 1978. ..Incredible…  ECS clearly bigger than 6C
Thanks
Alan

T ---
Alan Gadian, UK.