Aerosols effects on polar ice

Jeff Suchon

Feb 11, 2024, 3:19:34 PMFeb 11
to geoengineering
Hi everyone,

I just joined this group and am glad to be here. Am sold on MCB, surface reflection, and SAI and at that being deployed wisely asap. Please give me any answer to the question of the aerosols' effects on the polar ice. Specifically, salt from MCB. I realize really it doesn't rain much yet over the polar regions. And, of course SO2, or any new possible aerosols. Thanks!

Michael MacCracken

Feb 11, 2024, 4:13:41 PMFeb 11
to ecom...@gmail.com, geoengineering

Dear Jeff--A couple of thoughts:

1. The lifetime of the Cloud Condensation Nuclei (i.e., sea salt) that would be injected lofted (well, misted) up are really quite short--indeed, the real challenge of the approach is having the CCN last beyond hours and perhaps to a day or two, so not much likelihoo of them drifting for a long way and getting deposited on ice.

2. MCB will be most effective if it is done over a dark surface. That is, if one wants to reflect more sunlight to space, no real sense doing it over ice covered areas that are already bright. The best place to do in terms of energy reflected (which is not the only consideration) would be over dark oceans, and at generally lower latitudes where there is more sunlight coming down on the clouds (yes, high latitudes can have equally hig total daily sunlight, but the sun angle is so low that brightening the clouds I don't think is all that effective in increasing reflection of sunlight out to space, which is the intent).

Mike MacCracken