Concrete Geodesic Dome

TaffGoch

Jun 7, 2022, 6:51:51 PM6/7/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi, all,

Has anyone seen any information on this dome?
electrichestvo2.jpg
I found the image on a pinterest website, with no associated description.
It was a Russian webpage, so that's all I can guess at.

-Taff
(aka, TaffGoch, David Price)

Gravity

Jun 7, 2022, 7:29:22 PM6/7/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
I believe I remember this guy posting about this dome, himself, in this very group.

Adam Winter
The Bootstrap Music Co.

Dick Fischbeck

Jun 7, 2022, 7:43:18 PM6/7/22
to Geodesic Help
I think the spherical block man, Peter Roberts in upstate NY, Alfred Station,  works this way.

valle....@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2022, 4:24:44 AM10/18/22
to Geodesic Help Group
hi. I'm looking to find more info too. only found the webpage but don't have info only the pic.

RC

Oct 18, 2022, 7:06:40 AM10/18/22
to Geodesic Help Group
I think those are molded aerated concrete. They are lightweight and insulating.  Also, window openings can be cut out using a hand saw.

Pedro valle

Nov 14, 2022, 9:58:17 PM11/14/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi
following this tutorial [Make Abstract Models with Geometry Nodes - YouTube] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eNdCpoRD4&t=346s)
manage to build an ok dome. in Blender. made the dome, then export to OBJ and open in Pepakura and unfold the dome, but I can't make the hexagons small like the pic above, so my molds are maybe doble the size, the dome is 10 mts on diameter. I'm planning to build this dome with aircrate in summer Ill post my progress on June. thanks   to these group for all the help. blender_rwn3oQ0Qce.jpgpepakura5_KZ0V8w6us8.png

blender_YbdHSBjhfG.png

RC

Nov 15, 2022, 6:04:16 PM11/15/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Your hexagon sizes are bigger because it is not the same model as the picture. Compare with the marked up picture.
concrete dome picture.PNG

Ashok Mathur

Nov 15, 2022, 9:09:16 PM11/15/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
From a theory point of view Concrete Geodesic Domes:
Concrete has near-zero tensional strength.
It can not be used to make tensgrity structures.
Here the term concrete is being used as a shorthand for Reinforced Cement and Concrete Structures.
RCC structures have good tensional strength and can be used to make tensegrity structures.
Secondly, tensegrity requires islands of compression elements surrounded by continuous tensional structures.
By casting RCC in hexagonal blocks, tensional elements no longer surround the compressional  elements.
You end up making a compressional dome which stays together by interlocking and inertia.
Regards

Ashok

lemondealc

Nov 16, 2022, 4:57:25 PM11/16/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Is there any cast shape that would have both the islands of compression and the tension?

Pedro valle

Nov 16, 2022, 9:17:44 PM11/16/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi  Robert ..

I changed the subdivisions from 3 to 4 and  I thing I get   the same dome as the pics. the only thing Blender don't make all the hexagons the same size, they are not symmetrical. is another software like maybe solidworks that will generate a dome with hexagons symmetrical? or all the 3D software make these dome the same way? I'm traying to make only 3 molds

pepakura5_3KlbjIXL0D.jpgblender_5LILnLeKWK.jpg

Pedro valle

Nov 16, 2022, 9:23:54 PM11/16/22
to Geodesic Help Group

Hi Ashok

thank you for your reply .so building a dome with aircrate is no safe? will be better wood or metal?  appreciate you advise.

Ashok Mathur

Nov 17, 2022, 12:49:04 AM11/17/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dear Pedro
I am not saying that a aircrete concrete structure is unsafe.
I was merely trying to distinguish between the mathematics
and physics of a structure.
Deriving coordinates of vertices from a geodesic dome alone
does not make the subsequent structure geodesic in nature.
You have used only the mathematics of the geodesic dome
but cut out the physics by casting the structure in separate
disjointed blocks.
You can make an aircrete geodesic dome by casting the panels
of aircrete but joining the retaining structures till they form a continuous
tension ring around the aircrete.
By the way, I spent the third week of October in Istanbul
surrounded by about 100 compressive spherical dome that soar
over 100 feet in the sky. Properly made spherical compressive domes
are also long lasting structures.
Some such domes at Istanbul are about two milineum
old while others are several hundred centuries old.They transfer their
weight from the circular shape to a square foundation using a unique in
 between called squinch.
Persian domes transfer their weight to an octagonal base using another in between.
Compressive spherical domes of aircrete are also possible
but will use a maths different from geodesic.
Regards
Ashok

Sent from my iPhone

Pedro valle

Nov 17, 2022, 2:36:48 PM11/17/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi Ashok
                     still working on the design, I'm using Blender 3D   but the shapes are no symmetrical so if I made the molds, I'll need to make a lot because no all the hexagons are the same, I will try different method in blender I just saw another way to make a dome, I would like to travel and see all those places like Istanbul and Rome to see the Pantheon.

last summer June and July, I made a roof with almost 2,000 bricks, using a wood mold to hold the bricks till they dry then I put a wire mesh and then plaster. I made 3  Bóvedas, in Spain I think they call them  Bóvedas  catalanas o Bóveda de cañón, don't know how they call them in English.

and I will have off June and July again. so, I will try to build a dome, with concrete because is way cheaper that metal or wood. 8cf369d7520e78338c8a96e26e33ebd04ffbc4fd.jpeg

Dx G

Nov 17, 2022, 5:26:41 PM11/17/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Interesting discussion. Please keep in mind that some parts of a dome can actually be in tension, rather compression, depending on the design.  Many of the older domes have a tension band/ring/belt, buttresses or some mass at key points near the base to prevent any bulging.  Often they are not visible.

DxG

Message has been deleted

RC

Nov 17, 2022, 6:53:52 PM11/17/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Pedro,
Near the equator of a spherical dome, the compression forces transition to tensional hoop stresses.  Perhaps you could build a light-weight metal tube geodesic dome as a supporting structure first.  Then, assemble hexagon blocks like the one shown below onto each hub.  These have grooves molded into them that straddle the metal conduit.  The hex blocks could be sized so that their is a small mortar gap between blocks.  The gaps between blocks would take care of tolerance build up errors, and would be filled with mortar.  The concrete blocks will be great for enclosing the structure and handling compression forces.  And, the metal conduit dome frame will resist tensional forces.  (had to repost again because I drew the block incorrectly)

grooved concrete hex block.PNG

Pedro valle

Nov 17, 2022, 7:17:08 PM11/17/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi, Robert C.

that's a great idea, in the pandemic, my employer sends me home for 3 months, so I bought a welder machine and learn the basics of welding no like a pro, but I can build the metal structure. and on top I can put the metal mesh and plaster. my plan is built cylindrical shape 8 feet tall with a door maybe some windows and in top the dome. fells like that way dont waste space and making a door in the dome is kind hard.

RC

Nov 17, 2022, 7:27:25 PM11/17/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Sounds like you made good use of your three months off!  The grooves of the blocks would face inward.  I was imagining a support dome framework made of flattened end tubes bolted together.  The grooves would be fairly deep so that you could mortar over the embedded tubes.

Pedro valle

Nov 17, 2022, 7:39:54 PM11/17/22
to Geodesic Help Group
oh. even better because will be faster to build. I saw some videos how to build domes that way. mean just the flattened end tubes technique, no with concrete.  just need to find the design.   thank you.

Pedro valle

Nov 18, 2022, 12:42:02 AM11/18/22
to Geodesic Help Group

Erich Nolan Bertussi

Dec 1, 2022, 12:22:06 AM12/1/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
this was a great thread to read guys.

i wonder in your scenarios are you utilising the single exact same irregular hex and single exact same irregular pent shape for the dome?

I hope to be doing something like this and pre-fabing passivhaus compliant hexes and pents...

so this thread is awesome for me!