Re: The 12' plywood HEX dome has a new home at The DoSeum | San Antonio's Museum for Kids

Message has been deleted

homespun

Dec 19, 2015, 6:39:20 PM12/19/15
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,
    Thanks for posting these pictures and the link to the news spot about my OCTA-TETRA Museum.
    I am looking forward to assembling their New Years Eve ball designed by you.
                           Dan

Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:49 AM
Subject: The 12' plywood HEX dome has a new home at The DoSeum | San Antonio's Museum for Kids

Thanks to hard woork by Dan Sutton of the Octa-Tetra Museum, the HEX dome has found a new life at The DoSeum Museum for Kids.

- Rob Clark
Message has been deleted

homespun

Dec 20, 2015, 12:58:42 AM12/20/15
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Rob,
             When I first saw it, it reminded me of Radiolaria.  Google image search yielded amazing pictures.  Also makes me think of Volvox.
             Thaks for advice.

                                                                                                                                             Dan

Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2015 7:36 PM

Dan,

The tricky part will be whether or not the slot widths are proportioned correctly to the thickness of the cardboard.  If the fit is a little too loose, then I would suggest just using some Elmer's glue for a permanent assembly.  Maybe use glue regardless because I think it will make it more rigid and stable.  The ball is only 2 feet in diameter and really doesn't need to be taken apart.  I had suggested painting it with day-glo paints and illuminating it with black lights.

This small ball has a very similar pattern to that of the larger 12 foot dome, but on this small ball I have joined the pieces in pairs.  Hopefully, the pictures I've attached below will be enough of a guide for you to assemble it.  Good luck!  And, let me know if you have any questions at all.

- Rob Clark

homespun

Dec 20, 2015, 1:07:38 AM12/20/15
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

Ernst Haeckel - 3000 Radiolarian Species:  http://tinyurl.com/hwvy9jo

                    Dan

Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2015 7:36 PM
Dan,

The tricky part will be whether or not the slot widths are proportioned correctly to the thickness of the cardboard.  If the fit is a little too loose, then I would suggest just using some Elmer's glue for a permanent assembly.  Maybe use glue regardless because I think it will make it more rigid and stable.  The ball is only 2 feet in diameter and really doesn't need to be taken apart.  I had suggested painting it with day-glo paints and illuminating it with black lights.

This small ball has a very similar pattern to that of the larger 12 foot dome, but on this small ball I have joined the pieces in pairs.  Hopefully, the pictures I've attached below will be enough of a guide for you to assemble it.  Good luck!  And, let me know if you have any questions at all.

- Rob Clark

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 6:39:20 PM UTC-5, homespun wrote:
Message has been deleted

norm...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2015, 5:52:47 PM12/20/15
to Geodesic Help Group
Congrats Robert, I can think of no better use for a model/dome then being used in such a setting....the children that experience the dome in the museum could be the next generation of inspired geodesic designers!

Mason Cooley

Mar 15, 2016, 10:33:11 PM3/15/16
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi Rob,

So I had your 12' dome nested parts CNC cut and they are awaiting assembly by my class soon. I had a real quick question. From the images it looks like you alternate the overlapping joining edges? Is there a pattern to this? Also, can you explain a little more about the "notches"? I think from the pics and the assembly illustration I understand how it goes up.

Thanks!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mason Cooley

Mar 16, 2016, 8:41:22 AM3/16/16
to Geodesic Help Group
Excellent this is super helpful!

Yes, the row technique is a good idea we just did that with our paper origami icosohedron models.

I will get pictures up once it is together. Our plan is to add some material to it for the final presentation. The class is a foundation design course in a professional crafts program here in WNC.

Thanks!

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 8:15:17 AM UTC-4, Robert Clark wrote:
The overlapping doesn't matter.  It's just a matter of aesthetics.  My pattern of overlapping ended of being random.
The notches are just to help differentiate the 3 types of parts and help in orienting them correctly.  In the image, the red part would be the one that has 2 notches.  And, the grey part would be the one with just 1 notch.  A notched leg of a red piece should join up with the notched leg of a grey piece.
IMPORTANT.  When assembling, start with the bottom row of the dome and complete the full row before working on the next row up.  Work your way up evenly from the base to the top.  This will make assembly so much easier.  Just ask Dan.  If you try to assemble separate sections and then join those sections together, or just start assembling randomly, the whole thing becomes unwieldy and confusing.  One full row at a time, bottom to top is the best and easiest way.
What type of class do you teach?
Good luck to you and your students and post some pictures of the process and the completed dome.  Thanks.

best regards,
Rob

Jason Ruff

Mar 3, 2017, 1:53:00 PM3/3/17
to Geodesic Help Group
Mr. Clark,

  I am a high school art teacher/maker that has access to a CNC machine. Our class would love to build your design. We have a few questions?

Is there a .dxf file available for download?
Could we complete the dome to a sphere shape?

We are excited for your response,
All the best,
Jason Ruff
Message has been deleted

Rudolf

Apr 3, 2017, 1:02:59 PM4/3/17
to Geodesic Help Group
Hello Robert,
could you send me the DXF file as well?
A friend of mine wants to build a greenhouse, he saw pictures of your design on Pinterest...

Regards
Rudolf
Message has been deleted

homespun

Apr 4, 2017, 7:14:46 AM4/4/17
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Robert,
    “Quick Dome” looks really cool.  Love the doorway  I would make a small cardboard model if you were to post the templates.
                 Dan in San Antonio

Sent: Monday, April 03, 2017 6:17 PM

Rudolf,

I am re-posting the DXF file for the Plywood Hex Dome.  I have not yet heard back from Jason above.  I hope he will see this posting.
The dome is only 12 feet in diameter (small for a greenhouse) because it was just a proof of concept and I designed it small to save on cost.  Also, I used very cheap 3/16" thick underlayment plywood ($14.00 per sheet), again to save cost.  Next time, I would use 3/8" (11/32) thick plywood for a sturdier dome.  The DXF pattern needs to be repeated on six sheets of 4x8 sheets of plywood to form all the pieces for a dome.

In the near future, I'm thinking of creating a larger 20 foot dome of the same design, but it would require ten sheets of plywood.  Also, being larger, I might design it as a 1/2 dome instead of a 5/8 dome.  If anyone is interested, let me know.  Thanks.

Lastly, I'm also working on hopefully a commercial flat-pack design that is a sturdier, stronger 16-foot dome that can be assembled without tools or fasteners.  I would like to name my venture "Quick Domes".  I would appreciate any ideas or feedback.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

homespun

Apr 7, 2017, 11:39:19 PM4/7/17
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Robert,
    Wow!  Thanks so much.
    I won’t be doing it right away, as I am the midst of another, rather complex project, but eventually I will do it.
                                                         Dan

Sent: Friday, April 07, 2017 10:09 PM

Dan,

Here's the PDF patterns (2 sheets) to make a small 14" diameter paper half dome.  It's a simplified version of the 16 foot version that I am still working on.  When assembling, just match the circular markings.  The PDF's are sized for 8-1/2 x 11 paper.  If possible, use a thick stiff weight paper.

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 11:26:57 AM UTC-4, Robert Clark wrote:
Dan,

I'll post a simplified model pattern for you here in a couple of days.  It will be similar to the image below.  Using the same 5 repeating parts (3 hubs, 2 struts), you'll be able to build the model as either a 4/9, a 1/2, or a 5/9 dome. And, all three versions will sit flat on a hard surface without rocking.  Take care.

Robert
Message has been deleted

Wade Martin

Wade Martin

Jun 10, 2017, 6:04:28 PM6/10/17
to Geodesic Help Group
Rob,
I read this post on the 20 foot 5/8 dome.... I would be into doing that one over the 12 foot if you have it a .DXF file...
CNC cutting is what i do so maybe we can help each other...

thanks, Wade

[...]

Wade Martin

Jun 12, 2017, 11:33:29 AM6/12/17
to Geodesic Help Group
Robert,
that sounds fun to me, Thanks!, no worries on material thickness that's the easy part :)
I look forward to seeing the files.
Maybe I could PM you with my email for easier communication, your thoughts?
have a stupendous day.
Wade

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 8:38:04 PM UTC-7, Robert Clark wrote:
Wade,

I have a 20 foot plywood dome design that is a little different from the bent plywood dome you are looking at, if you're interested.  This design is going to be structurally stronger.  It is also a smaller frequency with less parts, but bigger openings for creating people size entrances.  There are just 4 components:  2 hubs, and 2 strut halves.  All struts are identical.  The parts are slip-fitted to form hub sub-assemblies.  Then, the hub assemblies are put together like puzzle pieces and held together with two 1/4" diameter bolts at each strut.

Next post I can provide dxf files for cnc, but first I need to finish laying the pieces out in a nesting pattern on plywood.  I have never built or tested this dome design.  You may have to play with the CAD files to adjust it for the exact thickness of plywood.  It is designed for 3/4" ply which usually comes in at .718 thickness.  I'll let you know how many sheets of plywood it should take.

best regards,
Robert

Wade Martin

Jun 13, 2017, 5:11:37 PM6/13/17
to Geodesic Help Group
If it helps, no need to nest as my software will handle all of that, just numbers of how many each part are required.
Wade
Message has been deleted

Wade Martin

Jun 15, 2017, 5:58:55 PM6/15/17
to Geodesic Help Group
Robert, thanks!
That looks perfect to me, I will cut test pieces first as always... I feel like a kid at Christmas and its the middle of June :) I look forward to the email.
I going to use the Dome as covered fire pit area.. may be a second one at my shop...
what could I do for you?

Th

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 4:37:28 AM UTC-7, Robert Clark wrote:
I've added two extra parts to form a base for the dome.  Below are images that show the dome with the base parts and also the number of each part required as well as bolts.  I also included images showing typical layout on 4x8 foot plywood.  The complete dome will require 20 full sheets of 3/4 inch thick plywood.  I'm guessing the dome will weigh in at about 600 pounds.
I think some uses for the dome might include an event space/booth at an exhibition, or a structure at burning man.  I'd like to hear other people's ideas for uses (PLEASE).
Wade, I'm sending you the dxf files in a separate e-mail.

Robert

Wade Martin

Jun 15, 2017, 5:59:31 PM6/15/17
to Geodesic Help Group

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 2:58:55 PM UTC-7, Wade Martin wrote:
Robert, thanks!
That looks perfect to me, I will cut test pieces first as always... I feel like a kid at Christmas and its the middle of June :) I look forward to the email.
I going to use the Dome as covered fire pit area.. may be a second one at my shop...
what could I do for you?

Thanks, Wade
Message has been deleted

Wade Martin

Jun 15, 2017, 7:54:59 PM6/15/17
to Geodesic Help Group
I have not received and email at this time

Wade

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 4:01:54 PM UTC-7, Robert Clark wrote:
I hope you document and send me lots of pictures of the cnc manufacturing process and the build assembly!  I think the pieces, once cut should stack within a 2'x3'x4' cubic area and so should fit in the back of a car's hatchback with fold down rear seat or easily in the back of a pickup truck.  I'm as excited as you to see it get built.  Let me know if you got the dxf files.  Take care.

Robert
Message has been deleted

Frederik Heytens

Jun 19, 2017, 3:07:50 AM6/19/17
to Geodesic Help Group
Hello Robbert

I'm a teacher from Belgium and in my school there is a need for a greenhouse.
During STEM-class one of my students came up with your design.
We redesigned it to fit our needs:
Made it bigger(approx 16 ft), included a dooropening and attempted to make tiles to cover the openings.
In order to have an even surface for the cover, we came up with an extra connector to eliminate the overlap jpints.
Next is to design a door for it, which will be done next year.

It's not perfect, but it's done by my 16yo students (and myself) and we are proud of where we stand at this point.

We are lucky to have a factory near our school that makes polycarbonate sheets, so we made it out of 8mm thick PC they provided at a discount.
The tiles to fit the openings are 2mm thick. The pieces were cut by water-jet.

In the end we will have a high-tech greenhouse including automatic irrigation and ventilation, IoT, LED and solar panels to power it all.
We will be cooling by a underground ventilation duct.

We would like to thank you for your inspiring model and of course share our feedback.

greetings
Frederik Heytens
VTI Tielt
Belgium

Op dinsdag 4 april 2017 01:17:43 UTC+2 schreef Robert Clark:
[...]

IMG_20170505_172928.jpg
IMG_20170508_094221.jpg
IMG_3450 (Kopie).JPG
IMG_3494 (Kopie).JPG
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Wade Martin

Jul 4, 2017, 9:52:13 PM7/4/17
to Geodesic Help Group
Well, Happy 4th

I have been wicked busy, not much time to play... Dang!, but I have modified the parts a bit what i hope will be better material thickness control and some fitment issues.
Robert, keep up the great work.
peace out, Wade

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 7:57:03 PM UTC-7, Robert Clark wrote:
I wanted to share a picture of the first CNC plywood test parts that Wade has cut out.  They really look good!  I created a pdf assembly instruction which I'm attaching below.  I'm anxious to see the completed dome.

Robert

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 6:21:02 PM UTC-4, Robert Clark wrote:
Just for those who might be following, Wade has received the dxf files and hopefully he'll have some test parts cut soon!   -Robert
Message has been deleted

Manuel C.

Mar 25, 2018, 2:10:34 AM3/25/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Hello Robert, good job, I liked the design of the attached images, I would like to be able to manufacture a 5 meter diameter plywood 15mm thick, could you send me the files to make it ?. I have a cnc router and could document the construction process.
If you had it for a model of small size it would be great to be able to move forward with it, my material for model is mdf 9mm thick.
Thanks
a4d845c506a7caae87a1669494d047e2.jpg
QUICK DOMES - 5 meter - small.png
Message has been deleted

lemondealc

Mar 27, 2018, 2:30:53 PM3/27/18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Robert can you send me the dxf files too. I have access to a cnc router. Thanks.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 6:48 AM Robert Clark <clark.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
Manuel,

The two domes are very different configurations, and both are still just conceptual.  I don't yet have access to a cnc router so I haven't done much since the original conceptual design.  As you see in the photo with actual plywood parts, a gentleman named Wade initially started work on the dome, but I think work and family pulled him away from it and that's as far as he got.  I haven't pushed to see if he got any further on it.

Which dome were you interested in?  I can send you DXF part files.  Understand that you may have to tweak and adjust dimensions to get the best fit.  You will be acting as a guinea pig and risking cost of materials and time on an unproven prototype. Do you have nesting software to lay the parts out for cnc?  The size scale of parts that I send you will not be optimized to get the most pieces out of a sheet of plywood.  But, that is something you can play with in CAD software.

I look forward to hearing back from you and helping you in any way I can.

Robert

--
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

javeds2006

Apr 5, 2018, 1:18:05 AM4/5/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi Robert,
I teach a class of 25 architecture 1st year students. They would love to make one of your domes. The 20' plywood dome or the 5m one would be ideal. Could you share the dxf files for either? We do have access to a 4'x8' CNC machine.
Thanks in advance!
Shamim.

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 2:53:35 PM UTC+3, Robert Clark wrote:
Still working on design for a 5 meter plywood dome.  Here's some images of my latest effort:

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 7:08:48 PM UTC-4, Robert Clark wrote:
Next week, I will try to post some DXF files.
The rest of this week I am busy with other work and home related projects.

Robert
Message has been deleted

javeds2006 .

Apr 5, 2018, 9:06:02 AM4/5/18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dear Robert,

So nice to hear from you directly. I lived in Boston for many years, studying, working and teaching (1985-2003). I would have prefered the 5m dome but will try out the 4m one if that is what you have the drawings for. Thank you so much for willing to share your drawings. This is a big help. Looking forward to receiving them!

Regards,
Shamim.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Robert Clark <clark.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
Shamim, that would be great.  I studied architecture at the Boston Architectural College.

I will finish making some slight design adjustments to the two hubs so that the dome can sit on a flat base.
It can be assembled either as a 3/8 or 5/8 dome.
the dome size will probably be scaled down from 5 meter to a 4 meter diameter so that all the pieces fit evenly onto 6 sheets of plywood.

I can send you files this weekend.

best regards,
Robert
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to GeodesicHelp+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

lemondealc .

Apr 5, 2018, 4:26:23 PM4/5/18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Are these going to be posted to the group?

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 6:56 AM, Robert Clark <clark.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
Shamim, that would be great.  I studied architecture at the Boston Architectural College.

I will finish making some slight design adjustments to the two hubs so that the dome can sit on a flat base.
It can be assembled either as a 3/8 or 5/8 dome.
the dome size will probably be scaled down from 5 meter to a 4 meter diameter so that all the pieces fit evenly onto 6 sheets of plywood.

I can send you files this weekend.

best regards,
Robert

On Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 1:18:05 AM UTC-4, javeds2006 wrote:

Message has been deleted

lemondealc

Apr 6, 2018, 1:04:53 PM4/6/18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
I am going to build one for the 2018 Milwaukee maker faire. I'll be sure to give you full credit for the design. I look forward to getting the dxf files. Cheers.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018, 4:15 PM Robert Clark <clark.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will post concept drawings, renderings and fabrication/construction photos to the group.  I will send DXF files for cnc to those who request them.

Robert
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Wade Martin

May 8, 2018, 2:33:06 AM5/8/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Nicely done!

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 6:23:44 AM UTC-7, Robert Clark wrote:
Shamim (Javeds2006) and his 1st year students from the Department of Architecture, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM), Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, have built a copy of my dome as part of their year-ending exhibition.  They did an awesome job.  I would have loved to have taken part in the build.

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 9:46:56 AM UTC-4, Robert Clark wrote:
I am sending dxf files to the three people who requested them.  The layout is repeated on 10 sheets of 3/4" plywood.  Actual thickness of the plywood is usually listed as .703" so that is what I used in my model.  The dxf files can be scaled up or down according to the actual measured plywood thickness. 290 fasteners are required.  These are 1/4-20 x 2" long bolts with washers and nuts.  The assembled 5/8 dome is 5 meters in diameter (16 feet) and 3 meters tall (10 feet).  It will probably weigh roughly 140 kg (300 lbs).  10 people should be able to lift and carry the assembled dome without too much difficulty.  All fasteners should be loose finger tight until the dome is fully assembled.  Once all components are loosely fastened, then go around and firmly tighten all bolts with a wrench.

gottsch...@yahoo.com

May 18, 2018, 5:23:20 PM5/18/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Any chance I can get dwg or dxf files for these domes? I work at a shop that has a couple 2 1/2 axis Komo routers...looks like a fun project for my junior Engineers.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Pedro Valle

Feb 6, 2019, 8:53:17 AM2/6/19
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi.. Robert can you send me the tortuga dxf files too please before Google close google + ... Thx a lot valle...@yahoo.com

lemondealc

Feb 6, 2019, 1:31:01 PM2/6/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Will google groups go away too?

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019, 7:53 AM Pedro Valle <valle....@gmail.com wrote:
Hi.. Robert can you send me the tortuga dxf files too please before Google close google + ... Thx a lot valle...@yahoo.com

Message has been deleted

valle....@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2019, 5:08:00 PM2/7/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Robert ...

Sorry you right it will have some changes
__________________________________

_____________________________
Thanks a lot for the files ..i will post pics of the dome ..i want to build a greenhouse for my mom ..she lives close to a lot farms they have pvs pipes broken 8 to 10 inches diameter, i own my self a vinyl cutter so i will transfer the dxf to a vector and make a decal and cut the design .... Thank you againg

Pedro valle

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 3:24 PM, Robert Clark
Pedro,

From what I've read, Google groups is not going away.  Just Google Plus.

Robert

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 8:53:17 AM UTC-5, Pedro Valle wrote:
Hi.. Robert can you send me the tortuga dxf files too please before Google close google + ... Thx a lot valle...@yahoo.com

valle....@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2019, 5:20:47 PM2/7/19
to Geodesic Help Group
Message has been deleted

valle....@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2019, 12:26:57 AM2/8/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Robert

I want to recycle plastic.  I found this place https://preciousplastic.com ,but PVC is really toxic can't be melted so I got the idea I can flatten it with a heatgun and use my plotter to make a sticker(decal) and place it on the pvc and then cut it with a saw. My vinyl cutter only  cut vinyl ... I want a x-carve but for now I just have this option. It is a lot of work ... But I need to figure out if your design will work with the PVC pipes one they is flattened. If not I will use plywood instead. Thank you again for offer you help.

Pedro Valle
On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:40 PM, Robert Clark
Pedro,

Thank you for the link about Google Group updates.
Will you be using the large diameter pvc pipes in your greenhouse?
Are you cnc cutting the 3/4 inch thick plywood, or using another method with the decal templates?
If you have any questions about assembly, just ask me.  Good luck with your greenhouse!

Robert
Message has been deleted

valle....@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2019, 12:03:46 AM2/24/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

Robert Clark

   hi i just finish transfer the DFX files to EPS ..but  only i can use  my plotter (Roland GX-24) when i get vacations.

i have  the  files  for  the  12' Hex dome and  the  Tortuga Dome design if  someone need it  i will send  them  to you.

soon i get vacations i will try to build one of  the domes and try to collect the  pvc pipes .

i attach a pic  of  a bee nest i found 2 days ago in the  streets of  Vallarta,Mex.

On Friday, February 8, 2019, 5:45:04 AM GMT-7, Robert Clark <clark.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pedro,

I really like your idea of recycling material that otherwise would be permanent waste.  Maybe someone reading this has knowledge or good ideas for heating and flattening waste pvc plastic.

Robert

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Geodesic Help Group" group.

IMG-20190223-WA0002.jpg

Kourosh Momeni

Feb 24, 2019, 5:52:36 AM2/24/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Can you send it to me please (=
Kouros...@gmail.com
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Pedro Valle

Feb 24, 2019, 10:15:04 AM2/24/19
to Geodesic Help Group
kourosh momeni

     You need to cut only 3 pieces one for each color and used as stencils ... And use the pic as guide, this file is in EPS can be cut in a vinyl cutter or plotter.

Send some pics when you finish your pyramid.
12 foot plywood hex dome vinyl plotter.jpg
2 base ring parts.JPG
12 foot plywood hex dome vinyl plotter.eps
base Part1.dxf
base Part2.dxf

Michelle DeFrance

Apr 9, 2019, 6:40:30 PM4/9/19
to Geodesic Help Group
A group of folks down in Texas are about to try to make a sphere using this layout.

Then we are going to attach it to a larger sculpture.

I'm pretty excited our lead found this thread in this group because this look super fun and whatnot.

Or a grueling torture session.

Wooo!

Michelle

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 10:49:44 AM UTC-6, Robert Clark wrote:
Thanks to hard woork by Dan Sutton of the Octa-Tetra Museum, the HEX dome has found a new life at The DoSeum Museum for Kids.

- Rob Clark

Jan Krummrey

May 17, 2019, 4:40:58 AM5/17/19
to Geodesic Help Group
I'll try to see if I can build one out of Coroplast campaign signgs. Finished the paper model to see how everything will fit. Thanks for the template Robert.
2019-05-16 22.34.15.jpg
2019-05-16 08.23.15.jpg
2019-05-16 08.23.11.jpg
2019-05-16 08.23.06.jpg
Message has been deleted

lemondealc

May 17, 2019, 1:41:47 PM5/17/19
to Geodesic Help Group
Hey Robert. I spent 3-hours laser cutting a tortuga dome. I was certain I had all the dimensions just right (I scaled down for a smaller dome and thinner material), but in the end the slots were like 1/32 too small and pieces wouldn't fit together. I got all the pieces to fit on three 4ftx4ft boards. Here are some pics of the cut outs. I'm still working on this. Just wanted to give you an update.

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 5:02:10 AM UTC-5, Robert Clark wrote:
love the paper model!!! Very neatly done. My original 12 foot diameter backyard dome I built back in 2015 was made with 5mm (3/16") underlayment plywood and still felt a little bit flimsy.  It certainly couldn't be climbed on. If I were to build another of the same size, I would probably use 10mm (3/8") plywood.  Also, with the thicker plywood (remember it still has to flex), I would use 5/16" bolts rather than 1/4" bolts.

I don't know what size dome you will be building, but I fear the Coroplast will be too bendy.  Finding the right material that can be bent yet provide for a sturdy dome is tricky.  This is why I had moved on to my other more rigid designs like the Tortuga Dome.

Thank you for your interest and keep us up to date on your progress.

Robert
IMAG2768.jpg
IMAG2769.jpg
IMAG2771.jpg
IMAG2772.jpg
IMAG2773.jpg
IMAG2774.jpg

homespun

May 17, 2019, 5:34:03 PM5/17/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,  Going back to the beginning of this thread to 2015:
IMG_5748-001
My little model with Robert Clarks templates.

Document6 (1)
My medium-sized model up in the ceiling of My OCTA-TETRA Museum.

IMG_5845-001
Robert Clark’s big model installed by me at the Doseum in San Antonio
IMG_5748-001[5].jpg
Document6%20(1)[2].jpg
IMG_5845-001[2].jpg

Kourosh Momeni

May 17, 2019, 6:09:44 PM5/17/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
that actually looks really RAD'!
I would be willing to make one, if i had the plans to make it 4x bigger. this would be a better way to be preped for storage since it can be taken down, and compactly stored and reused on next site.
I feel pcv pipe is not an option im too fond of. like in the pictures you provided it can be preinstaled in sections or stored that way as well.
I just think 4x bigger space inside because, it would give 4 sections to have like a workshop space, lecture, tea station, and would give a bit more hight and room space to put up art.

all of the project builds look nice, but with the bigger wood ones is one bolting pieces together while the other system is a slide in and lock in place type?
i lean more towards using the fasteners more, thought may be more work, i feel it plays on a security of safty in windy conditions.

What kind of wood is being used in the projects?

sorry for the questions, just think this is super nice' Thanks for sharing again (=
-1Love

homespun

May 17, 2019, 6:56:11 PM5/17/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Kourosh,
  Those are all questions for Robert Clark.  The big one was made out of plywood.
                      Dan
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to mailto:GeodesicHelp%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com

IMG_5748-001[5].jpg
Document6%20(1)[2].jpg
IMG_5845-001[2].jpg
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

lemondealc

May 23, 2019, 2:19:06 PM5/23/19
to Geodesic Help Group
I was really happy with the quality of the cut. I decided to sand down the slots and try putting part of it together. I was able to sand enough to use single stuts that were duct taped together. Check out the photos. I'll definitely try to build this again. I'm not sure when I'll have access to a laser cutter again.

As for your questions:

A scaled up version would fit on three 4' x 4' boards. I actually ended up nesting too many hubs so I might have been able to fit on two boards...Maybe. As for how much I could scale up, I don't know. I'd have to experiment. I could get the current design to fit on two boards if I cut the struts from a thicker material and nested all those on one board, and then I would have nested the hubs on another boards.

I eliminated the holes because I was trying to save cutting time/travel (It took about 3+ hours the way it is). I had planned on gluing the pieces together. Or I could have used duct tape too. I just didn't need the holes for the smaller version.

IMAG2834.jpgIMAG2829.jpgIMAG2833.jpg

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 12:52:09 PM UTC-5, Robert Clark wrote:
lemondealc,
Your cnc layout on the three boards looks very tight and efficient.  Frustrating about the slots being slightly too tight.  If you scale it up a tiny bit, will the layout still fit on the three boards, or will you have to go to a fourth?  Also, looking at the strut pieces, I did not see the two holes that should be there for assembly.  Did that get missed or do you have another plan for connection?  See the picture below with the two holes circled in blue.  Otherwise, awesome job.  I'm hoping by end of summer, after I've got a heating system and electrical finished in my ongoing house build, to get a cnc machine myself.  I'm looking at the 33x33 Shapeko.
-Robert

Jan Krummrey

May 25, 2019, 5:02:38 PM5/25/19
to Geodesic Help Group
I did it. I had to double up the pieces because a single layer didn't hold up. It isn't strong or can carry any significant loads, but it supports itself well. The signs were free after an election. My costs were the zip-ties and the laser.

Am Freitag, 17. Mai 2019 12:02:10 UTC+2 schrieb Robert Clark:
love the paper model!!! Very neatly done. My original 12 foot diameter backyard dome I built back in 2015 was made with 5mm (3/16") underlayment plywood and still felt a little bit flimsy.  It certainly couldn't be climbed on. If I were to build another of the same size, I would probably use 10mm (3/8") plywood.  Also, with the thicker plywood (remember it still has to flex), I would use 5/16" bolts rather than 1/4" bolts.

I don't know what size dome you will be building, but I fear the Coroplast will be too bendy.  Finding the right material that can be bent yet provide for a sturdy dome is tricky.  This is why I had moved on to my other more rigid designs like the Tortuga Dome.

Thank you for your interest and keep us up to date on your progress.

Robert

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 4:40:58 AM UTC-4, Jan Krummrey wrote:
2019-05-25-14.55.00-.jpg
2019-05-17-20.07.05-.jpg
2019-05-18-12.10.47-1-.jpg
2019-05-19-15.22.59-.jpg
2019-05-25-14.35.26-.jpg
2019-05-19-19.13.09-.jpg
2019-05-25 14.35.15.jpg

Olga M

May 26, 2019, 7:01:31 AM5/26/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

Cool. It looks wonderful.
<2019-05-25-14.55.00-.jpg>
<2019-05-17-20.07.05-.jpg>
<2019-05-18-12.10.47-1-.jpg>
<2019-05-19-15.22.59-.jpg>
<2019-05-25-14.35.26-.jpg>
<2019-05-19-19.13.09-.jpg>
<2019-05-25 14.35.15.jpg>

lemondealc

May 26, 2019, 1:20:22 PM5/26/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Very cool. What kind of laser did you use? What where the power settings?

Jan Krummrey

May 27, 2019, 8:36:38 AM5/27/19
to Geodesic Help Group
Am Sonntag, 26. Mai 2019 19:20:22 UTC+2 schrieb lemondealc:
Very cool. What kind of laser did you use? What where the power settings

The signs were in A0 (120x84) so having a large cut volume was essential. It took about 8-10 minutes to cut each one and I used 21. You don't need very much power if you do it in multiple passes. Your are essentially cutting two sheets 3mm apart. Either go slow, so that the beam can cute the second layer, org go twice.

Michelle DeFrance

Jun 1, 2019, 1:31:12 PM6/1/19
to Geodesic Help Group
It was a grueling torture session!

But worth it!

We shrunk it to about 10' diameter, built a little more than the dome, but not a whole ball, and attached it to the art project (it's Sisyphus's boulder).

You can just make out the ball here: https://www.burningflipside.com/featured_art/11051

Michelle

lemondealc

Jun 1, 2019, 3:42:53 PM6/1/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Michelle,

Do you have any closer pictures?

Michelle DeFrance

Jun 1, 2019, 4:01:46 PM6/1/19
to Geodesic Help Group
Sorry posting from my phone and I couldn't attach anything.

This is our first build of it.  We has some fun getting it on that ladder.

Backyard Ball.jpg

Our event discourages photos with people in them, so there aren't a lot of photos of it I can share.  This is one without people....

effigy.jpg

Of course it is just after we set the thing on fire.

Michelle

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019, 12:31 PM Michelle DeFrance <olia...@gmail.com> wrote:
It was a grueling torture session!

But worth it!

We shrunk it to about 10' diameter, built a little more than the dome, but not a whole ball, and attached it to the art project (it's Sisyphus's boulder).

You can just make out the ball here: https://www.burningflipside.com/featured_art/11051

Michelle

lemondealc

Jun 1, 2019, 7:03:07 PM6/1/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Very cool.

Jasper Kill

Sep 17, 2019, 6:27:45 AM9/17/19
to Geodesic Help Group

Hi Robert, I have a large laser cutter and would love to test it out to make one of these domes!
Thanks,
Jasper
Message has been deleted

Adam

Dec 4, 2019, 6:52:34 PM12/4/19
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi Robert, hope you're well.

I love this latest version of your design. Has anyone actually built a full sized version of it yet? I'd like to have a go if possible, my kids are very excited by the prospect! I have access to a cnc if you would be kind enough to send the dxf files for this.

Many thanks,

Adam

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 6:52:09 PM UTC+1, Robert Clark wrote:
lemondealc,
Your cnc layout on the three boards looks very tight and efficient.  Frustrating about the slots being slightly too tight.  If you scale it up a tiny bit, will the layout still fit on the three boards, or will you have to go to a fourth?  Also, looking at the strut pieces, I did not see the two holes that should be there for assembly.  Did that get missed or do you have another plan for connection?  See the picture below with the two holes circled in blue.  Otherwise, awesome job.  I'm hoping by end of summer, after I've got a heating system and electrical finished in my ongoing house build, to get a cnc machine myself.  I'm looking at the 33x33 Shapeko.
-Robert

Adam

Dec 4, 2019, 6:56:26 PM12/4/19
to Geodesic Help Group
Sorry, this was referring to the 20ft dome!
Message has been deleted

Adam

Dec 5, 2019, 6:15:43 AM12/5/19
to Geodesic Help Group
That looks superb. I like the idea of a light sandwich compression joint to make it stiffer. I'm sure they'd love it! Is it simply scalable in your software? I really like the idea of using small components on a small Cnc from offcuts of ply.
I use sketchup for modelling...is yours done in solidworks?

Any and all dxf's of both designs would be great so I can have a play with tolerances etc...the guys at the workshop think I'm a bit nuts for doing this haha!

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 2:58:17 AM UTC, Robert Clark wrote:
Hi Adam,

I wonder if you and your kids would like to build this dome, instead.  It would require 8 sheets of plywood to build.

regards,
Robert
Message has been deleted

David Hayes

Jan 20, 2020, 12:43:41 PM1/20/20
to Geodesic Help Group
Hello Robert,

DXF files for the the 20' plywood dome including struts would be much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Dave Hayes

El sábado, 24 de junio de 2017, 21:57:03 (UTC-5), Robert Clark escribió:
I wanted to share a picture of the first CNC plywood test parts that Wade has cut out.  They really look good!  I created a pdf assembly instruction which I'm attaching below.  I'm anxious to see the completed dome.

Robert

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 6:21:02 PM UTC-4, Robert Clark wrote:
Just for those who might be following, Wade has received the dxf files and hopefully he'll have some test parts cut soon!   -Robert

Wilda Casado

Feb 26, 2020, 9:15:32 PM2/26/20
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi Robert!

My name is Wilda Casado and I am a design student in the Chavón, The School of Design in the Dominican Republic. We were recently assigned a project to build an art installation and we wanted to build one of your HEX domes, we want to build a 20 foot diameter HEX dome and wanted to know if you could send us the .dxf file? My father has a cnc cutting machine and he is going to help us with the process!

I'd be glad to hear back from you,

Thank you

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 12:49:44 PM UTC-4, Robert Clark wrote:
Thanks to hard woork by Dan Sutton of the Octa-Tetra Museum, the HEX dome has found a new life at The DoSeum Museum for Kids.

- Rob Clark
Message has been deleted

Wilda Casado

Feb 27, 2020, 5:05:45 PM2/27/20
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Robert!

We’ll be in touch

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 4:17 PM Robert Clark <clark.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wilda,

I'd be glad to help out with the project.  I'll post the CNC .dxf files this weekend.

Robert

Arturo G. Espindola

Nov 17, 2020, 6:40:58 PM11/17/20
to Geodesic Help Group
HELLO GUYS, FANTASTIC DESIGN YOU ACHIEVED. CAN YOU SHARE THE 3D MODEL IN STEP OR IGES?

THANKS FOR SHARING!

LOVE & LIGHT

ARTURO

Arturo G. Espindola

Nov 17, 2020, 6:42:49 PM11/17/20
to Geodesic Help Group
FANTASTIC WORK, CONGRATULATIONS.

CAN SOMEONE SHARE THE 3D MODEL IN IGES OR STEP?

THANKS,

ARTURO

El domingo, 25 de marzo de 2018 a las 0:10:34 UTC-6, Manuel C. escribió:
Hello Robert, good job, I liked the design of the attached images, I would like to be able to manufacture a 5 meter diameter plywood 15mm thick, could you send me the files to make it ?. I have a cnc router and could document the construction process.
If you had it for a model of small size it would be great to be able to move forward with it, my material for model is mdf 9mm thick.
Thanks

Arturo G. Espindola

Nov 17, 2020, 6:45:47 PM11/17/20
to Geodesic Help Group
HELLO CLARK, GREAT DESIGN, CAN YOU SHARE WITH ME THE 3D & DXF PLEASE, I LOVE TO BUILD ONE MYSELF.

THANKS

ARTURO

El jueves, 27 de febrero de 2020 a las 14:17:07 UTC-6, clark.rob...@gmail.com escribió:
Wilda,

I'd be glad to help out with the project.  I'll post the CNC .dxf files this weekend.

Robert

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 9:15:32 PM UTC-5, Wilda Casado wrote:
It is loading more messages.