Domes of the World Map

Paul Kranz

Sep 23, 2011, 8:41:17 PM9/23/11
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
All:

We have so many locations now (thank you, Taff!) that you may want to search for your dome before you ask Taff or me to put them in there: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=212647990607384677670.0004ad181506bbe39b599

1. Find the magnifying glass under the white-X-on-red close box at the upper right of your screen.

2. Drop down the menu by pressing the down arrow.

3. Select "Find on this Page..."

4. Enter part of the dome name in the find box..

If the dome is on the map, the cursor will jump to the name. If it is not there, let Taff or me know.

High regards,

Paul sends...

Hector Alfredo Hernández Hdez.

Sep 24, 2011, 10:14:17 PM9/24/11
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
19.40521,-99.099837

Palacio de los deportes, Cd. de México DF.

Paul Kranz

Sep 26, 2011, 9:59:02 AM9/26/11
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hector:

Got it.

Paul sends...

TaffGoch

Oct 20, 2011, 11:10:03 PM10/20/11
to Geodesic Help Group
Paul,

I think your search recommendation is likely a browser feature, rather
than Google Maps.

My browser, Google Chrome, doesn't have the x-box to which you
referred. I can still search, but I use Chrome's <ctrl>F search
feature.

-Taff

Dondalah Proust

Oct 21, 2011, 12:57:02 AM10/21/11
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
I second that, Taff, in Firefox I used Ctl-F to search for a name.  Is there an upper limit to how big the list can get?  So far so good.

Taff, can you create a short message with the map link as a permanent message at the top of the group page?  You currently have three permanent messages at the top.

Dondalah

Oct 21, 2011, 9:23:03 AM10/21/11
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
<Ctrl>-<F> works in Google Chrome for searching.

TaffGoch

Oct 21, 2011, 12:21:39 PM10/21/11
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Dondalah,

We think alike, again. I was waiting until the map was pretty-well populated.

If I make a post into a "sticky" at the top, I didn't want a bunch of other topics thrown into the discussion (which happens rather frequently, here.)

I'll make a new sticky this afternoon.

-Taff

Dick Fischbeck

Jan 21, 2012, 1:31:58 PM1/21/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
might be of interest.

One source says 1966, another 1978.

Belltown Dome

2915 Haughton Ave, Ottawa, ON K2B 6Z4, Canada

TaffGoch

Jan 21, 2012, 6:05:48 PM1/21/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dick,

I've added the dome to our map:

A good example of an elongated "lozenge" dome, with an arched-vault center section, between two half-domes:
BelltownDome,Ottawa.jpg
4188446673_80cf5731b1.jpg

Dick Fischbeck

Jan 21, 2012, 6:22:09 PM1/21/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Apparently, it was build by a company called Expo Dome. I can't find much on it. Built in 1967 OR 1976, depending.

Adrian Rossiter

Oct 1, 2012, 2:24:33 PM10/1/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, Hector Alfredo Hernï¿œndez Hdez. wrote:
> 19.40521,-99.099837
>
> Palacio de los deportes, Cd. de Mï¿œxico DF.

I saw this one in a music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY2unm39iP8&t=2m50s

When I was looking up the name from the name on the ticket I also came
across a "Palacio de los Deportes" dome in the Dominican Rebublic

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Palacio+de+los+Deportes,+Av+27+de+Febrero,+Naco,+Santo+Domingo,+Santo+Domingo+Province+10122,+Dominican+Republic&hl=en&ll=18.474755,-69.918859&spn=0.002844,0.003315&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs&geocode=FcjnGQEd6h_V-w&hnear=Palacio+de+los+Deportes,+Av+27+de+Febrero,+Naco,+Santo+Domingo+Province,+Dominican+Republic&t=h&z=18
https://www.google.com/search?q="Palacio+de+los+Deportes+Virgilio+Travieso+Soto"&tbm=isch

Unrelated, but I spotted a geodesic model briefly in another pop video
yesterday, it is only up for a fraction of a second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLy4cvRx7Vc&t=1m39s

Adrian.
--
Adrian Rossiter
adr...@antiprism.com

TaffGoch

Oct 1, 2012, 2:51:28 PM10/1/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Looked promising, from the YouTube video. On Google Maps, it is evident that it is not icosa/dodeca/triacon, but is a lamella dome. (Added to our map, today.)

Eclectic taste in music, Adrian....
Capture_10-1-2012-1.36.27 PM.png
Capture_10-1-2012-1.36.09 PM.png
Capture_10-1-2012-1.34.20 PM.png

TaffGoch

Oct 1, 2012, 3:00:58 PM10/1/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
FYI, the Santa Domingo "Palacio de los Deportes," and other athletic-complex surrounds, were built in 1974, for the XII Central American & Caribbean Games.

Katrina Fairley

Oct 2, 2012, 9:22:58 AM10/2/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

http://www3.surrey.ac.uk/eng/research/ems/ssrc/intro.htm

Hopefully this explains the different dome types.

mcerni

Oct 2, 2012, 3:33:46 PM10/2/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Geodesic cupolas on the TV tower in Brasil.

The tower, known as Flor do Cerrado, is a transmission site for television stations for the city of Brasilia and was designed by Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer.

Mike in Montreal

Flor do Cerrado 2.jpg
Flor do Cerrado 1.jpg
Flor do Cerrado 3.jpg

mcerni

Oct 2, 2012, 4:04:40 PM10/2/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

New candidate for the GD world map.

Here are two GDs at the Botanical Garden in the city Jibou, Romania.

The big dome called “THE VOLAR”,  shelters a rich collection of palm trees.
The small dome also called “AQUARIUM” accommodates species from the equatorial area.

They were built in the seventies. I visited them far far ago; btw Romania is my native country.

Mike in Montreal

Botanical Garden Jibou Romania 1.png
Botanical Garden Jibou Romania 2.jpg
Message has been deleted

TaffGoch

Oct 2, 2012, 5:11:57 PM10/2/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
I, finally, located the Brasilia TV tower, and added to the map:

____________________

Google Maps coverage of Romania isn't yet high-resolution. The aerial photo quality is inadequate, to locate the Jibou botanical domes.

40002377.jpg
Jibou, Romania.jpg
Jibou, Romania botanical.jpg

TaffGoch

Oct 5, 2012, 6:23:55 PM10/5/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
"The Pods" are not showing up on Google Maps, since it's new construction.

It's supposed to be part of a "Central Park" rejuvenation. We'll have to wait until Google updates the aerial photography for Scunthorpe. (BTW, it's not hard to find Central Park.)

-Taff

TaffGoch

Oct 5, 2012, 6:25:52 PM10/5/12
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Here's the Central Park, in Scunthorpe, UK:

Ian Cooke

Jul 19, 2013, 12:59:42 PM7/19/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dome spotting:

My grandfather was enamored with dome homes.  Hence they jump out at me.
I don't know if you are including non-famous domes, but there is a person with
a fine looking dome-barn at  42.909865N, 70.873568W that I saw daily from
I-95 in New Hampshire on my work commute (before changing jobs). It's visible
on Google maps satellite view for your verification.

Regards,
Ian Robert Cooke

Paul Kranz

Jul 21, 2013, 7:37:18 PM7/21/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Ian:

Do you know a name I can associate with the dome?

Paul sends...

Very high regards,

Paul sends...

Ian Cooke

Aug 8, 2013, 9:28:05 AM8/8/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Paul:

No name that I know of. Might be the the only dome in Hampton Falls,
NH. So, perhaps the "Hampton Falls Dome Barn"?

Best,
Ian

Dick Fischbeck

Aug 8, 2013, 12:45:53 PM8/8/13
to Geodesic Help
42.909857,-70.873547

Ian Cooke

Aug 8, 2013, 12:51:58 PM8/8/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Yup, that's the one we're talking about. Do you know anything else
about it, Dick?

++ Ian

Dick Fischbeck

Aug 8, 2013, 12:54:44 PM8/8/13
to Geodesic Help
No, but I'll be looking for it next time I drive that way.

Ian Cooke

Aug 8, 2013, 1:01:19 PM8/8/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Easiest to spot it in late fall, winter, or early spring -- and when
you're not the driver :)

++ Ian

hahajahah

Sep 16, 2022, 4:22:08 PM9/16/22
to Geodesic Help Group

hahajahah

Sep 16, 2022, 4:26:30 PM9/16/22
to Geodesic Help Group

Universal Sphere 20190522_102620.jpg

Ian Cooke

Sep 16, 2022, 8:46:30 PM9/16/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com, Important Records
If I money wasn't a constraint, this would be awesome:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/567380790170287568

Dx G

Sep 17, 2022, 11:42:08 AM9/17/22
to Geodesic Help Group
If one is aware of domes that are not already on the Domes of the World Map, how do you suggest we add them?
thx DxG

Paul Kranz

Sep 17, 2022, 4:12:37 PM9/17/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dx G: Domes of the World has been around for about 15 years.  Taff and I are the only ones with permissions to add to it. So, if you know of a dome not in the map, you can just let me or Taff know. We need the coordinates and what you want it called. Paul sends...

Gerry in Quebec

Oct 31, 2022, 11:53:08 AM10/31/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi Paul & Taff,
Here are two side-by-side domes for possibly inclusion in Domes of the World:
Gratitude Farms, Northfield, Vermont, USA. 50-foot & 20-ft geodesic domes, 4v icosahedrons. Latitude & longitude:  44.1250747, -72.7415023
- Gerry in Québec

Gerry in Quebec

Nov 16, 2022, 9:50:11 AM11/16/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi Paul & Taff,
Just wondering whether you will be adding the two domes I mentioned, in Northfield, Vermont, USA, to the Domes of the World Map?
Thanks,
- Gerry in Québec

Paul Kranz

Nov 16, 2022, 2:50:57 PM11/16/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Gerry: I will be getting to them this night. Paul sends...

Paul Kranz

Nov 16, 2022, 7:58:14 PM11/16/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

--
Very high regards,

Paul C. Kranz, LMFT
Kranz & Associates, LLC

Gerry Toomey

Nov 17, 2022, 2:50:22 PM11/17/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,
Thanks for adding the Vermont domes to the list.
- Gerry in Québec

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Geodesic Help Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geodesichelp/CAE1FiLWM5jQDL27p4b-2DD7XOCm%2BTqW2%2B-qv5B_WfGwWFws7mA%40mail.gmail.com.

Paul Kranz

Nov 17, 2022, 5:18:19 PM11/17/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com