Is GeoAlchemy compatible with PostGIS 2 +?

Tanner Semerad

Jun 6, 2014, 7:31:21 PM6/6/14
to geoal...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Papyrus in my Pyramid application, which relies on GeoAlchemy (no GeoAlchemy 2 version yet). We're considering upgrading to using PostGIS 2.1 on our server. Testing my app against PostgreSQL 9.3 and PostGIS 2.1 results in my GeoAlchemy geometry columns simply not being created (no error is produced - the table is just generated with all of the other columns).

Is GeoAlchemy known to work with PostGIS 2 +, and if so, are there any common issues to look out for?

Also, does anyone know why generating the GeometryColumn would silently fail?

Thanks

Eric Lemoine

Jun 8, 2014, 5:20:10 AM6/8/14
to geoal...@googlegroups.com
GeoAlchemy (the first series) doesn't work with PostGIS 2.

I want to update Papyrus to use GeoAlchemy 2 instead of GeoAlchemy (and release this as Papyrus 1.0 or something).

Would that work for you? Or do you have too much code relying on the first series of GeoAlchemy?

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac, Cedex

Tel : 00 33 4 79 44 44 94
Mail : eric.l...@camptocamp.com
http://www.camptocamp.com

Eric Lemoine

Jun 8, 2014, 10:56:33 AM6/8/14
to geoal...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Eric Lemoine
<eric.l...@camptocamp.com> wrote:

> Le samedi 7 juin 2014, Tanner Semerad <tanner...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> I'm using Papyrus in my Pyramid application, which relies on GeoAlchemy
>> (no GeoAlchemy 2 version yet). We're considering upgrading to using PostGIS
>> 2.1 on our server. Testing my app against PostgreSQL 9.3 and PostGIS 2.1
>> results in my GeoAlchemy geometry columns simply not being created (no error
>> is produced - the table is just generated with all of the other columns).
>>
>> Is GeoAlchemy known to work with PostGIS 2 +, and if so, are there any
>> common issues to look out for?
>>
>> Also, does anyone know why generating the GeometryColumn would silently
>> fail?
>

> GeoAlchemy (the first series) doesn't work with PostGIS 2.
>
> I want to update Papyrus to use GeoAlchemy 2 instead of GeoAlchemy (and
> release this as Papyrus 1.0 or something).
>
> Would that work for you? Or do you have too much code relying on the first
> series of GeoAlchemy?

I've started working in a Papyrus branch that replaces GeoAlchemy by
GeoAlchemy 2. See https://github.com/elemoine/papyrus/issues/23.

Tanner Semerad

Jun 8, 2014, 8:17:13 PM6/8/14
to geoal...@googlegroups.com
That would work great for me. I'll just need to update my table definitions and a few places where I use some geospatial queries. Thank you for this update. I'll post any issues I have with it (and hopefully bug fixes) on github.

Eric Lemoine

Jun 9, 2014, 3:50:41 AM6/9/14
to geoal...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Tanner Semerad <tanner...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That would work great for me. I'll just need to update my table definitions
> and a few places where I use some geospatial queries. Thank you for this
> update. I'll post any issues I have with it (and hopefully bug fixes) on
> github.

I've uploaded a papyrus 2.0dev1 package to pypi:
<https://pypi.python.org/pypi/papyrus/2.0dev1>. The tests pass but I
haven't tested it in an actual implementation.

Cheers,

Tanner Semerad

Jun 12, 2014, 9:29:22 PM6/12/14
to geoal...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. I'm using the 2.0dev1 version and it's working great. I upgraded my project with very little trouble at all. Thank you so much. I'll have to buy you a beer at FOSS4G or something.

Interestingly, I discovered that GeoAlchemy 1 sort of works with PostGIS 2.1. I didn't upgrade one of my instances to PostGIS 2.1 right away and noticed that my app seemed to be running fine - editing and creating new rows worked great. It looks like it runs fine against existing PostGIS tables, but when creating them it silently fails at creating the geometry column.