MVT: are we allowed to redistribute Frutiger fonts? (and glyphs)

Andrea Borghi

Apr 14, 2022, 3:38:45 AMApr 14
to geoadm...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would like to create a simple nginx-based static MVT server for swisstopo leichte-basiskarte to be able to run a vectortiles server in a confined environment (say: a server that runs in an internal infrastructure with no internet connection).

I will package the leichte-basiskarte MBTILE file, which is under OGD. But what about the Frutiger fonts (and the Glyphs of the style)?

Can I package that in a public docker image and publish the config in a public github repository?

Thanks in advance,

cheers,

Andrea

Sebastian Denier

Apr 19, 2022, 2:22:20 AMApr 19
to GeoAdminCh API
Hi Andrea

Yes you can package the Frutiger glyphs in public docker image and publish. swisstopo buys Frutiger fonts from Linotype and it is a licensed font but as soon it is converted to glyphs (signed distance fields) it does not represent the original font format and it may be distributed, reused and also redistributed by others.

best,
Sebastian

Andrea Borghi

Apr 20, 2022, 2:58:18 AMApr 20
to GeoAdminCh API
Hi Sebastian, great news!
Yes, indeed I am reditributing only the glyphs.
 Thanks a lot.
Bests, Andrea