Austin Healey 3000

John Hardy

Jun 17, 2024, 2:14:38 PMJun 17
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
As seen in front of our hotel in Orkanger, Norge

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride."  John F. Kennedy

Jon Hanson

Jun 17, 2024, 2:34:04 PMJun 17
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
My neighbor used to have one of these. I had to really watch myself so I wouldn't drool all over the new paint.

As seen in front of our hotel in Orkanger, Norge

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride."  John F. Kennedy

Kit Spackman

Jun 17, 2024, 2:59:59 PMJun 17
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Back in the 60s, a short while after I bought my first Moulton, I had to drive loads of Austin Healey 3000s back and forth between BMC Special Tuning's plant at Abingdon and my employers at Pressed Steel Fisher in Oxford. We were trying to get them to pass the 1965 US Vehicle Safety Regulations, but it was impossible, because of the shape and engineering of the car, without redesigning it entirely. Which is why BMC pulled the Healeys out of the US market at that time.

A Moulton WON'T fit in the trunk of a Healey 3000, believe me, I've tried it. 🙂

Regards
Kit

Sent: 17 June 2024 18:14

To: gentlema...@googlegroups.com <gentlema...@googlegroups.com>
As seen in front of our hotel in Orkanger, Norge

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride."  John F. Kennedy

John Crump

Jun 18, 2024, 10:56:04 AMJun 18
to Gentleman Cyclist
Beautiful car!!  We had a new 1006 2 seater in 1964 also a Lemans racer drop down windscreen45667843_1565443080222389_3394637229002326016_o (1).jpg hoovers etc for awhile

Kit Spackman

Jun 18, 2024, 11:15:56 AMJun 18
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Yours must have been one of the very last batch of Healeys ever imported to the US.

They built three Healy 4000s, which were literally sawn down the centre and widened by 6", and had a Rolls Royce 4 litre straight six as well as rack and pinion steering to try and get back into the US market, but we still couldn't get it through the seat belt positioning regulations.

Regards
Kit