The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour; But of Course

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Mar 14, 2024, 5:22:32 PMMar 14
Dear Riders of the Realm:

As we progress through this fantasy known as "warm weather" we become suspicious. Where are the dirty snow banks? Why am I wearing shorts while riding in February? Why is there a surplus in the snow removal budget? It's been said many times that we, as Nutters, are a hearty lot and shall persevere. My suspicion is that we shall overdo our training regimen while sunning on the patio. A tough lot, this, but I trust a hearty Bock Ale, served cool, will calm the nerves.

Other Bells and Brooks:
  • The Collector Prints are done with one colour adjustment to be made. Printing the lot will follow.
  • The Tourbooks are done with two text additions to be made. Printing should begin tomorrow unless I'm sunning on the patio.
  • Sarah and Dan from Humble Moon Folkstead and Saloon in Stockholm have invited us to stop for tea on our route through town. Please call for reservations 715-495-0743. Here is Sarah's message: "Sarah here from Humble Moon Saloon in Stockholm.  I have your 2024 3-speed tour on our calendar.  Now that we are better set up here and even have a roof over the deck I would love to set a little tea party for any of the participants who plan to stop here.  I was thinking that we could offer a pre-planned menu specifically for the cyclists to go along with the theme which also aids with quick service in case it turns out to be a high traffic day.  I still have the ‘Cyclist Teas’ sign.  I also have piles of vintage china and tea pots from my side-business, so we do stuff like this a lot.  Do you think this is something your folks would appreciate?  It would be great for photo shoots and such.  If you think this is a good idea I could make up a special menu and request that folks give me a headcount as a courtesy, although it’s okay if it changes, just so long as I have a basic idea of how to prepare.  Of course they can still order off the regular menu if they still just want a Spotted Cow & fries.  Let me know what you think! -Sarah"
  • Just before we enter [Lord] Nelson is Township 23 Distillery. Looks like a great place to stop for an "energy drink" before the final push into Wabasha.
  • Brenda at Hoppy Girl Brewing is not quite ready to receive dinner reservations as yet. She needs to receive a price confirmation from the food truck supplier and then you may call for Saturday dinner reservations.
Best along the Path,
Jon Sharratt, Shirt-Tail Organiser Emeritus

Theodore Schefelbein

Mar 15, 2024, 9:53:06 PMMar 15
to Gentleman Cyclist
Jon,
Each spring break, we make a little pilgrimage to the area, just to kill a day, and grab a bite. This year was no exception. We stopped on 35, where, apparently, a few years past, some young maiden precipitated herself. We noted the bike shop will be open 4-24, a good thing if we are to be there in 5-24. The usual spots were all closed for the season, Smiling Pelican, Slipperies, and we ate at the bowling alley in Wabasha, it was better than I would have guessed. Gotta love a bowling alley with Sam Adam’s on hand.
But, I noticed a few troubling things. There is a large Orange County sign in Maiden Rock ominously warning of construction on Wisconsin 35, beginning March 28. Hmm? Wonder how long?
On the other side of the Locke, at the entryway to Colville park is an illuminated sign warning of road closure of the road leading into Colville park,bon the same March 28 date.  Stacked on the side of the road are all the things that would be needed for sanitary sewer/storm sewer replacement, with maybe water line service thrown in the mix.
It will be a big project. I’ve noted that you are now retired, which, one would think would give you a bit of time to research these civic projects so we are not completely caught off guard come our hallowed days in May.
Photos, from the wrong time of year. The mountain bike team kid, who rides the version of the DL1 with 7” cranks up the Bay City hill, and the chick in the Ford.

Ted

IMG_4109.jpeg
IMG_0268.jpeg

Jeff Tallin

Mar 27, 2024, 5:38:32 PMMar 27
to Gentleman Cyclist
The Canadians have booked rooms and are looking forward to another memorable adventure along the majestic  Mississippi.

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Mar 28, 2024, 2:36:58 PMMar 28
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,
Glad you will be with us!
Jon

Mar 31, 2024, 4:57:56 PMMar 31
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Here is the info on Hwy 35 construction between Maiden Rock and Stockholm:
Skimming and overlayment. Please note it is not scheduled to begin until 2025.

At the south end of Red Wing, CP is replacing the Hwy 61 bridge over the CP tracks. No closure involved.
This is the bridge between the USG factory and the MN Correctional Facility. No impact with the entrance at Colvil Park.

STO-E

Apr 17, 2024, 9:17:33 AMApr 17
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Jon,

Please add me to the list. I just sent you the cash via paypal.  Looking forward to another above average ride.

Mark Brigham
--
Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. --Marie Curie

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Apr 17, 2024, 10:53:17 AMApr 17
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Got it, thanks Mark!