Do we make introductions? Handshakes all around.

Harvey Haines

Feb 18, 2022, 11:59:39 AM2/18/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Greetings!

My name is Harvey Milledge Haines, I'm a shiny new member from the Twin Cities area. At this very moment there is a 1970's Tyler bicycle sitting in my basement, somewhere in the middle of being converted from a crusty three-speed to a crusty fixed-gear. A couple more weeks and it'll be my daily commuter. This will be my first bicycle in years, my first fixed-gear, and the most exciting addition to my life since I planted apple trees over this past spring.

It was suggested that I join this group and I was all too happy to do so. You sound like my kind of people! I'm here in order to learn more about the old bikes I like, perhaps find a slightly nicer frame on which to build my next bike, and see if there are any other crazies like me who want to go everywhere without a derailleur.

Aside from playing around with two wheels, I enjoy organic gardening, reading, smoking cigars and (tobacco) pipes, baking, cooking in general, and collecting old nonsense. Welding, some woodwork, general tinkering... those are fun too!

See you around here,
HMH

TimH

Feb 19, 2022, 8:55:16 AM2/19/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Welcome Harvey.
I don’t own a derailleur either :)  having sold my only derailleur, a rare long cage Juy, to someone restoring o 50s French cycle.
My current project is a ‘38 or so Armstrong X-frame.
Lisa and I are planning to ride the lake Pepin tour again this year, perhaps we’ll meet then.
Tim from Colorado.

Harvey Haines

Feb 19, 2022, 10:18:03 AM2/19/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
I don't know if I'll make it to Lake Pepin, but it sure does sound nice. Fingers crossed that something will come together right and we'll meet then!