Passing of Sir Noel Robinson

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Aug 15, 2022, 7:14:51 PM8/15/22
Dear Riders of the Realm,

While in his tent at Dave Sievings family farm, Noel passed away quietly in his sleep last night. Today was to be day 1 of a 4 day tour in and around Lanesboro.
Arrangements and more news to follow.

Respectfully,
Jon Sharratt

John Hardy

Aug 15, 2022, 7:25:38 PM8/15/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Holly crappers,

Glad I got to BJ’s last week. Hope we are still in town when services are held.

Best around the horn,

John Hardy

Stephen T Brink

Aug 15, 2022, 7:29:55 PM8/15/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
This is heartbreaking news. Noel was simply the best of the best.

Sent from my iPhone

Jon Hanson

Aug 15, 2022, 7:35:26 PM8/15/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Oh no, devastating news. We've been very lucky to have him in our presence. We're all better people because of him. He's left a legacy to be honored.

Jon Hanson

Aug 15, 2022, 8:00:33 PM8/15/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. Noel was a gentleman and I enjoyed talking with him very much. Occasionally I would run into him at Seward Co-op, which actually seemed odd because it didn't involve old English bikes. I'm sure everyone will join me in sending condolences to his family, friends and of course all the Nutters who knew him.

Tim

Jack Rayburn

Aug 15, 2022, 8:58:07 PM8/15/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Jon,

Such sad new. Thanks to Noel’s brother Jim,  I’ve had the honor to cycle and ski with Noel and know Noel as one of a kind. My heart is heavy, but filled with wonderful memories.

Jack Rayburn
Mankato, MN

ru...@russellbourrienne.com

Aug 15, 2022, 9:48:11 PM8/15/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
I am deeply saddened by this. Noel was one of a kind. I will miss him greatly.   -Russell

Alan Lloyd

Aug 16, 2022, 3:28:40 AM8/16/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
We shall all miss his infectious smile, the booming voice and those bear hugs of affection - a sad loss of a great friend …

David Brierley

Aug 16, 2022, 1:29:13 PM8/16/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
As one of the original Lake Pepin Three Speed Tour nutters, I am saddened by the passing of Noel Robinson.  He and Jon Sharratt took on the leadership of the annual British Three Peed Tour during a discussion at Barley Johns.  That discussion led to many more and literally hundreds of rides of the realm.  Attached is a photograph of Noel that was included in the Vicar’s ride article in 2006.  Godspeed, Noel.

Dave Brierley
Former Keeper of the Cask

Alan Lloyd

Aug 16, 2022, 7:26:41 PM8/16/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Noel at the first ABCE we went to in '08 - when it poured almost all weekend - just after crashing with Jon!
It was all I could do (with wet steel rims) to stop before cycling over the top of the pair of them as they lay on the trail ...

Inline image

And at High Tea in Marlis' back yard with Jon in '11 ...

Inline image

 Great memories!

 - Alan     Emoji

Brady Robinson

Aug 19, 2022, 1:05:05 PM8/19/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends and riders,

I posted a tribute to my dear uncle Noel on Facebook. Given the nature of this group, I understand that a number of you may not be on that platform, so I'm posting it here.

I understand that the memorial will be held sometime next Spring, depending on Noel's daughter Amara's availability, as she lives out of the country. It would be incredible if it coincided with the Three Speed Tour, though I'm not sure that's in the cards. His other daughter Aislinn is currently working on this and many other tasks related to his passing.

Tribute to Noel

My uncle Noel passed away this week at 85 years of age. He was on a bicycle tour. He fell asleep in his pup tent and didn't wake up. It was pretty much the perfect way for him to go, not tragic. I loved him. I've loved him since I was a little boy. Growing up in rural Minnesota, with its Midwestern conventions and gently conservative ethos—even though everyone in my family to a person is a lifelong Democrat—he was the black sheep who gave me hope. He made different choices in his life. Maybe not all good ones, but they were his own. He split his time between a cabin he built from an old meat cooler on some undeveloped land in Wisconsin and my grandfather's 1940s deer hunting cabin in northern Minnesota. He loved old bicycles, picking blueberries, and cross-country skiing along the unmarked trails of the north country, in temperatures cold enough to freeze your nose hairs on the inhale at high noon. He was a great letter writer and never sent an email in his lifetime. Not one. He taught voice lessons for many years and sang sincerely without bravado, with a voice surprisingly delicate for his athletic frame. He was beautiful and caring, with movie star good looks in his youth and a Santa Claus beard and disposition in old age. He was deeply skeptical of government and prone to semi-informed ranting. He was always kind to me. He and my father took us kids skiing and let us run feral in the north woods. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of sleeping in the hunting cabin heated only by a leaky pot-bellied stove, listening to the eerie squeaking noise the snow makes as you walk to the outhouse when it's 40 below, and watching Noel dance and sing in the mornings in his torn and stained union suit long underwear as he made buckwheat pancakes. He co-founded the annual Lake Pepin Three Speed Bicycle Tour and perfectly embodied the quirky spirit of the event. Noel had a long love affair with Volkswagen Beetles; his property in Wisconsin was once littered with parts and project cars. Noel kept bees for many years. He drove the hives around his property in an old International Scout. Neither front door worked, so he had to crawl through the back window, past 1000s of unhappy bees, whenever he needed to get in or out. Did I mention that he lived in a meat cooler? These anecdotes left indelible marks on my young psyche. I didn't want to be exactly like him when I grew up, but his example showed me that other ways of being were possible, that you could have an unconventional life and find happiness in simpler things. The kindness and care of his two daughters were all that stood between him and homelessness at times in recent years. His path was not always easy, and it was sometimes hard on those around him. Yet he had friends everywhere who would do anything for him. He was a caring soul and touched a chord in most people he met. It was hard not to love Noel. I will miss him. And I feel so lucky that I grew up with him in my life. I wouldn't be the person I am today without Noel. Thank you, my dear uncle. Rest in peace. And may your example live on in all of us who were touched by you and loved you.

Brady Robinson

559866-R1-09-9A.jpg

received_465750585410076.jpeg

Gary Aslakson

Aug 19, 2022, 8:05:56 PM8/19/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
What sad news.  Noel was a true gentleman.  He will be missed.  Here is a picture of him with my daughter, the oldest and youngest persons on the Lake Pepin Tour that year.

image (1).png

David Brierley

Aug 19, 2022, 8:32:13 PM8/19/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Gary

May she go on to a happy and productive 85 or more years.  Thanks for sharing.

Dave Brierley