The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour; Like the Song Says

jon gentlemancyclist.com

May 13, 2024, 12:43:26 PMMay 13
Dear Nutters of the Realm:

By now, your ancient Raleigh should be almost on the work stand, your training regimen should be almost started and your decisions on what to wear should be mostly confused. This is, after all, the least known and least understood tour in all of the Commonwealth so, understandably, it attracts the most questions and confusion. Bob summed it up perfectly; "It took me 3 years to "Get it". The key to "Getting it" is to ride like a Gentleman Cyclist, in that, you should enjoy more of the route and less of the destination. Rest assured, a nice beverage and new friends will await you in Wabasha but does not mean you need to arrive first and, therefore, sit there alone on the kerb.

Other last minute notes:
  • Mark Hendricks from Iowa will be riding with us and he writes: "Lewis did this song and video at one of our first Tweed Rides. These are all friends of mine and Tim Nelson. We will be riding with you next week. We just lost one of these dear folks to cancer this week (Fiona). https://youtu.be/GLXfe6zv4U0?si=_X3_IaLKyQ8j5-Os ". At some point during the weekend, please raise a glass in honour of Fiona.
  • It seems all of Red Wing is under construction, in that, quiet 7th Street is torn up and unrideable from Colvill Park to downtown and the bridge. To get to the bridge crossing we will need to take 61/63 to the left turn to the bridge over the Mississippi and on to Wisconsin. Check a map and it will be obvious. Concern #2: Upon our return to Redwing, the bridge over the railroad tracks just after the USG plant is being replaced and that means we'll need to ride the lane shift to the other side. In summary, the very first and the very last bit of the tour has construction
  • Arrival time, as usual, is 7am. Yes, this is mighty early but we have hugs and handshakes, unloading and reloading to do plus the usual pre-tour festivities. Please don't skip this because it is a grand part of the 3ST.
  • Brenda from Turning Waters B&B sends the following note: "I wanted to let you know that I am open to having one night stay for your group for next week.  Please feel free to share with anyone that asks or to the group.  Hoppy Girl will have live music 4-7pm for anyone interested in hanging out."
  • This should be the last update before liftoff.
Jon Sharratt, Shirt-Tail Organiser Emeritus,

John Crump

May 16, 2024, 12:32:11 PMMay 16
to Gentleman Cyclist
To all you Anglophiles If you enjoy reading about Brits and Cycling may I suggest a book if you can find a copy, Salote to Cycling this was written by Frank J Urry he was one of the founders of the club, even though I now live in Parker, Colorado USA The Midland C&AC in Birmingham England. I rode and raced with some success with them from 1949 to 1953, then I left for America in 1957. One quote that I love, is on page 6, and this was written in the 1950s I QUOTE  "Why cycling for joy, is not the most popular pastime is still a mystery to me" John Crump "a real nutter" from Brum now in Parker, Colorado USASalute to Cycling 001.jpg