Surveilling L Pepin, the Smiling Pelican, my hubris up-ended, etc

Tim Long

Jun 8, 2021, 12:35:48 PM6/8/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Just when one thinks they've found heaven, and shifted one's 3 x 2 derailleur up to the 18T cog for cruising on in to Pepin, one's master link sheds itself on the jockey pulleys and dumps one's chain onto the roadside. The cheerful fellow with the mower and the Hawkeye cap (and flags) stopped to offer bicycle tools and cheerfulness; and,

Although I know there are No Coincidences, is the only other person I've ever met who also owns a custom-built Borthwick tandem from the Ames, Iowa region.  Who'd a thunk it?
Smiling Pelican 05 15 2021.jpg
Chain Repair and Hawkeye Borthwick Rider 05 15 2021.jpg
Tim in Reflection L Pepin 05 15 2021.jpg
Riders at Smiling Pelican 05 15 2021.jpg

Mark Stonich

Jun 8, 2021, 1:59:41 PM6/8/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Tim,
This sort of mishap does add to the lasting memories of a ride. But I find it best to discard the master link and rivet any chain that will be subjected to the indignity of being run through one of those Frenchie train wreck contraptions. Among 1/8” chains, the SRAM PC-1 plays best with derailleurs, being no wider than 5 or 6 speed chain of a few decades back.

From the iPad of Mark Stonich 612-824-2372 (home)
5349 Elliot Ave S.  Minneapolis Minnesota 55417

On Jun 8, 2021, at 11:35 AM, Tim Long <long...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just when one thinks they've found heaven, and shifted one's 3 x 2 derailleur up to the 18T cog for cruising on in to Pepin, one's master link sheds itself on the jockey pulleys and dumps one's chain onto the roadside. The cheerful fellow with the mower and the Hawkeye cap (and flags) stopped to offer bicycle tools and cheerfulness; and,

Although I know there are No Coincidences, is the only other person I've ever met who also owns a custom-built Borthwick tandem from the Ames, Iowa region.  Who'd a thunk it?

<Smiling Pelican 05 15 2021.jpg>
<Chain Repair and Hawkeye Borthwick Rider 05 15 2021.jpg>
<Tim in Reflection L Pepin 05 15 2021.jpg>
<Riders at Smiling Pelican 05 15 2021.jpg>

Paulos, Richard G

Jun 8, 2021, 2:03:20 PM6/8/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
"custom-built Borthwick tandem" Hum, I have a spare that needs a new home.

Gordon Borthwick lived in Marshaltown Iowa before he passed. His son was a neo-bike racer when we were in collage in Iowa City.

Rick

Tim Long

Jun 8, 2021, 3:26:02 PM6/8/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Probably purely coincidental, Mark, but the SRAM PC-1 is precisely the one I found for the job and it has run true and without fault since installing it.  And you're right, it mikes much narrower than the typical "fixie" chain.

I did use the "special link" that came with it, the kind in which you flex the thing until its outer plate can snap over the pins.   Being old enough now to listen to wiser folks than me,

Would you still suggest hard-riveting the thing together with my handy Park chain press?

Thanks!

Tim Long

Jun 8, 2021, 3:31:57 PM6/8/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Small world, Rick!  I obtained the tandem from the widow of the couple who'd bought it new, when I saw it gathering dust in their garage.  We agreed on an equitable price, and she bought 35 bicycles for nurses at a sister diocese in Africa with the money.  Everybody  won.  Karen is a competent co-rider, although she's not as fond of looking at my back as her own front wheel...

It's a lovely machine.

So, do you have spare bits looking for a home, or looking to send an entire tandem to new riders?

Thanks for the insight on Borthwick!

Paulos, Richard G

Jun 8, 2021, 4:37:32 PM6/8/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Entire Borthwick tandem. (minus the spd pedals and non-working sound system)
photos here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rickpaulos/albums/72157718113850691
It has some interesting bits. Magura Hydraulic rim brakes with Edco hydraulic road bike levers with built in paddles for the Sachs gears. Edco Competition hubs. The polished bronze gothic B on the head tube was a Borthwick signature. I believe the gear chart has an error. An 8 tooth cog? The serial number resembles an SSN which could be very ironic. The former owner served time for tax evasion on money taken in his quest to sue the USA for his claim that income taxes are unconstitutional.
An equitable price sure wouldn't cover 35 bikes, more like 3 to 5.

I do have a separate set of tandem wheels not related to the Borthwick. #114810547080

Rick
Iowa.
____
____________________________________

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 1:03:20 PM UTC-5 rick-...@uiowa.edu wrote:
"custom-built Borthwick tandem" Hum, I have a spare that needs a new home.

Gordon Borthwick lived in Marshalltown Iowa before he passed. His son was a neo-bike racer when we were in college in Iowa City.

Rick

This sort of mishap does add to the lasting memories of a ride. But I find it best to discard the master link and rivet any chain that will be subjected to the indignity of being run through one of those Frenchie train wreck contraptions. Among 1/8” chains, the SRAM PC-1 plays best with derailleurs, being no wider than 5 or 6 speed chain of a few decades back.

From the iPad of Mark Stonich 612-824-2372<tel:(612)%20824-2372> (home)
www.bikesmithdesign.com<http://www.bikesmithdesign.com> 612-710-9593<tel:(612)%20710-9593> (work & cell)

5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis Minnesota 55417

On Jun 8, 2021, at 11:35 AM, Tim Long <long...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just when one thinks they've found heaven, and shifted one's 3 x 2 derailleur up to the 18T cog for cruising on in to Pepin, one's master link sheds itself on the jockey pulleys and dumps one's chain onto the roadside. The cheerful fellow with the mower and the Hawkeye cap (and flags) stopped to offer bicycle tools and cheerfulness; and,

Although I know there are No Coincidences, is the only other person I've ever met who also owns a custom-built Borthwick tandem from the Ames, Iowa region. Who'd a thunk it?

<Smiling Pelican 05 15 2021.jpg>
<Chain Repair and Hawkeye Borthwick Rider 05 15 2021.jpg>
<Tim in Reflection L Pepin 05 15 2021.jpg>
<Riders at Smiling Pelican 05 15 2021.jpg>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gentlemancyclist/f108dc66-9f43-404e-82bf-39438202b335n%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gentlemancyclist/f108dc66-9f43-404e-82bf-39438202b335n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Tim Long

Jun 8, 2021, 5:08:21 PM6/8/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
I know, but apparently a sturdy bicycle, purchased in the Anglican diocese of S Sudan, Africa, can be had for like $35 USD.  Probably made in China, but still...  Nurses on wheels, somehow the notion makes me hopeful.

Thanks for the link to your bike, and the story of tax, ehm, "avoidance".  Any tax avoider worth their salt knows about the Caymans, or Jersey Island, and is likely still telling their story down at the Club, with a cool drink.  Still, a sad story for Mr. Borthwick.

Paulos, Richard G

Jun 8, 2021, 5:13:27 PM6/8/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Just to make it clear, Gordon Borthwick wasn't involved in any scams. The customer who owned the tandem was.

rick

Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 4:08 PM

Rick

From the iPad of Mark Stonich 612-824-2372<tel:(612)%20824-2372><tel:(612)%20824-2372> (home)
www.bikesmithdesign.com<http://www.bikesmithdesign.com><http://www.bikesmithdesign.com> 612-710-9593<tel:(612)%20710-9593><tel:(612)%20710-9593> (work & cell)

5349 Elliot Ave S. Minneapolis Minnesota 55417

On Jun 8, 2021, at 11:35 AM, Tim Long <long...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just when one thinks they've found heaven, and shifted one's 3 x 2 derailleur up to the 18T cog for cruising on in to Pepin, one's master link sheds itself on the jockey pulleys and dumps one's chain onto the roadside. The cheerful fellow with the mower and the Hawkeye cap (and flags) stopped to offer bicycle tools and cheerfulness; and,

Although I know there are No Coincidences, is the only other person I've ever met who also owns a custom-built Borthwick tandem from the Ames, Iowa region. Who'd a thunk it?

<Smiling Pelican 05 15 2021.jpg>
<Chain Repair and Hawkeye Borthwick Rider 05 15 2021.jpg>
<Tim in Reflection L Pepin 05 15 2021.jpg>
<Riders at Smiling Pelican 05 15 2021.jpg>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gentlemancyclist/887ce2d1-f112-4a76-83c4-dbd31ba05710n%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gentlemancyclist/887ce2d1-f112-4a76-83c4-dbd31ba05710n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Tim Long

Jun 9, 2021, 10:24:31 AM6/9/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Good morning, Rick,

I was humbled with a reading of Wendell Berry's prose this morning over coffee (it's a collection of his work for Karen's birthday next week, don't tell...), and then;

I saw your note re Mr. Borthwick not being a tax avoider, and realized that my too-quick Irish/Midwestern sarcasm had gotten in front of me, not for the first time.  Thanks for sorting me out on this, and I apologize to the sons, daughters and those who cared about him, both as a person and talented frame builder, for having maligned him.  It's good that today I have preparations for hard labor at splitting and stacking 2 1/2 tons of Ash wood for winter, to self-reflect.

By the way, the tandem you have is really quite something.  I've never seen the Sachs drivetrain, and the hydraulics brakes and soft-ride co-rider seating!  However, even though I do ascribe to the formula of N= the number of bicycles one already has + 1 being the rationale for not passing up a good thing, a second tandem isn't in the future.

Tim Long

Jun 9, 2021, 10:29:43 AM6/9/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
And, speaking of reading more carefully, Mark, your observation about the gift of the French to multi-gear arrangements is spot-on.  The Huret of common application simply does not work well.  Since my Phillips path racer is already a compilation of international equipment, I didn't think twice about hanging a steel-parallelogramed Shimano Skylark derailleur on the dropout. It works with remarkable reliability, and was just taking up space in an odds-and-ends box before brushing it off.

Kit Spackman

Jun 9, 2021, 11:28:46 AM6/9/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Huret Allvit 1900 derailleurs, the ones with the parallelogram the 'wrong way' round, since the late 60s. They've been allied with various SA hubs, from an FW, through an original 5 speed and currently with a 5-2, and they work brilliantly. OK, I'm on the second Allvit now, the pullies on the first one ended up looking a bit square, and as I had three more mechs I just swapped the whole thing.

Regards
Kit

Sent: 09 June 2021 14:29
To: Gentleman Cyclist <gentlema...@googlegroups.com>

Tim Long

Jun 9, 2021, 2:24:53 PM6/9/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Thanks, Kit, for the tip.

I'll watch for one of those Allvits for a future update of the Phillips.  It'll pair well with the Huret stem-mounted lever that I used.

On to the next thing!

Tim

Mark Stonich

Jun 9, 2021, 2:35:51 PM6/9/21
to gentleman Cyclist
Tim,
Definitely rivet your chain.

With a single cog and chainwheel there are no bending or compressive loads applied to the chain. Just tension on both plates, so the SRAM master link works masterfully.

I assume you have 2 random cogs at some random spacing, which is typical of all these setups. At some point in a shift I suspect having the chain on some teeth of one cog and some teeth on the other introduced significant bending load on the chain. Chains can resist these bending loads when both plates are securely attached to the pins. The bending load becomes tension in one plate and compression in the other. But with SRAM's type of master link, the outer plate is only capable of resisting tension loads. So bending in one direction, it’s loaded in tension and the other plate is loaded in compression. But bending in the other direction, the outer plate can’t resist compression loads. So the other plate is loaded in bending, which it’s too thin to do effectively. The ends of the 2 pins get closer together and the outer plate is free to stay or go.

The 3 piece type of master link wouldn’t have this problem, but being wider wouldn’t play well with derailleur cages

On Jun 9, 2021, at 9:29 AM, Tim Long <long...@gmail.com> wrote:

And, speaking of reading more carefully, Mark, your observation about the gift of the French to multi-gear arrangements is spot-on.

I used the term "Frenchie train wreck contraptions” to refer to derailleurs in general. While the British were striving for epicyclic perfection, The French went all in on a noisy, dirty device who’s very name is a type of train wreck.

The Huret of common application simply does not work well.

Are you referring to the Svelto? I’ve found them to work flawlessly in 2 cog applications, though I wouldn’t choose them for more than 2 cogs. My experience is that the cogs themselves are what determines how well these 2 cog hybrid setups work.

Mark Stonich
Bikesmith Design and Fabrication LLC
5349 Elliot Ave
Minneapolis MN USA
Ph. +1 (612) 710-9593

Tim Long

Jun 9, 2021, 4:15:35 PM6/9/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Thanks, Mark.  The little brass plated joining link will get pitched in the bin tomorrow.  I've been lucky for two weeks now, but, don't need to push it.

I'm running a Sturmey Archer 18T on the high side and a Shimano 28T from an HG7 cluster for low.  I used a steel spacer from McMaster Carr (1/8 x 1 3/8" I think), polished to get a tight fit.  It gets me 6 distinct ratios, and warnings about over-torquing the hub with big cogs aside (I'm not Lance Armstrong), it's slick for climbing the grades out of the river valley here.  And the Shimano is smooth and reliable. I've seen Campy gran sport derailleurs used on this 3 x 2 arrangement, but if I had a Campy gran sport, I'd probably start looking for a Carlton-built road bike frame of 25 1/2".

I think the Huret unit was an Eco...

I've since the picture was taken sorted out the derailleur cabling into a much tighter package.
Phillips 3 x 2 Conv 5 oclock TDL 5 05 2021.jpg