The All-British Cycling Event; Calm Before the Storm

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Sep 7, 2021, 8:28:47 PM9/7/21
Dear Hoppy Tourists,

The ABCE is fast approaching and we need to decide a few minor details; like a route for the Saturday Gentleman's Tour. Meeting at Merlin's Rest is etched in stone but our stop for elevenses at Freewheel Bike has vanished like the oil on your chain. So south it is; down 36th in search of pastry. If we turn left on 34th, we come across Turtle Bread Company. See how this works? 6 blocks and we have saved the tradition of elevenses. From there, we head south to Minnehaha Falls, cross the river, and head upstream to Summit. East on Summit will bring us to Cambridge St. and an assortment interesting restaurants. From here the route is variable depending on how quickly you need fish/chips/porter back at Merlins. For those with good brakes, we can head east on Grand Avenue and enjoy a cracking downhill for once. A quick rest at the City House then the long trail back to Merlin's.

Best along the path,
Jon Sharratt, Shirt-Tail Organiser
And Gentleman's Tour September 17, 18 & 19, 2021 in New Brighton Minnesota

Paulos, Richard G

Sep 8, 2021, 9:26:21 PM9/8/21
to 'Peter Naiman' via Gentleman Cyclist
In what is perhaps a bit of over training for the ABCE, we are headed to Grand Rapids to ride the Mesabi Trail to Ely. Leaving Monday September 13. A slow ride to Ely, just 155 miles in 4 or 5 days. Shuttle back to Grand Rapids and drive back to the Twin Cities for the ABCE. Should anyone be interested in the trail there is information here: https://mesabitrail.com/ The shuttle service assures us the air is tolerable. If not we can always just turn around.

Sites to be seen: Judy Garland museum, Bob Dylan house, worlds largest hockey stick, Greyhound bus museum, some really big holes in the ground, end of season canoes/kayak sales in Ely, the highest bridge in Minnesota, a floating bike path and more that hasn't stuck in the mental list yet.

Rick

Ian Lindridge

Sep 9, 2021, 10:40:20 AM9/9/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
What a great trip! It appears you will have plenty of time for sight seeing too. You mentioned overtraining for the ABCE, so are you riding English 3 speeds?

I plan on riding the Mesabi next year. Loose plans included the shuttle service. I rode it with the MS in '05 and '07 and am looking forward to the trail again. We are camping, and if your group is too could you list the campgrounds after your ride?

Thanks for the list of sites to see. One of the really big holes is an open pit mine with a small "museum" and a really big dump truck........any journal of the ride? crazyguyonabike? It may be helpful, and interesting, to hear about your ride.
Ian Lindridge
Woodbury, Minnesota

Paulos, Richard G

Sep 9, 2021, 12:01:56 PM9/9/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Ian, et al,

The Mesabi trail is not your typical rail-trail.  Plenty of hills so the 21 speed hybrids will be used for that. Equiped with fenders in case of wet, racks for the panniers for warm clothes and rain gear.  The English steel will be saved for the ABCE. Have mini van without seats so there is room for extra bikes.   Credit cards for the motels instead of tent and sleeping bags.  I'm sure to post photos at flickr when I return home.

Rick

John Hardy

Sep 9, 2021, 8:51:47 PM9/9/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
howdy gents,

On a completely different note....Is the monthly Barley John meeting the 13th this month due to Labor Day, or did i miss it??  thx

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gentlemancyclist/PH0PR04MB7191487F42A17A661789F3FFEFD59%40PH0PR04MB7191.namprd04.prod.outlook.com.

--
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride."  John F. Kennedy

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Sep 10, 2021, 8:45:02 AM9/10/21
to John Hardy, gentlema...@googlegroups.com
It's the 13th.