Fw: Upcoming 3 speed tour

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Mar 22, 2023, 9:03:02 PM3/22/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com, Kayla Stratton
Gents,
Kayla's friend Ann Derby needs to borrow a 3-speed for the upcoming Tour. Anyone have a Stately Steed with a hint of shine to the enamel?
STO

Mar 22, 2023, 9:52:22 PM3/22/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Being that we won't make it this year, we have a women's '65 Raleigh Sport with a good set of CR-18 rims and Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tires. A basket on front to boot. It available for the tour.

This steed made the tour last year without incident.

Warns Benita and Michael

Mar 23, 2023, 10:55:41 AM3/23/23
to 'David Brierley' via Gentleman Cyclist
These bicycles are not expensive, especially if you visit the Members of Parliament this coming Sunday afternoon from 1-3 PM behind Mr. Michael Recycles Bicycles. We have some English built 3-speeds available to buy for more than reasonable prices.

Benita Warns, Owner
Mr. Michael Recycles Bicycles, LLC
520 N. Prior Avenue
St. Paul, MN  55104
714ba0da-1bc1-43f8-ba1c-759c6fdedd82

Mark Stonich

Mar 23, 2023, 3:00:17 PM3/23/23
to Gentleman Cyclist
Jane is no longer capable of riding far enough to do the tour. So her lovely ‘73 Raleigh Sport with the “Ladies” frame is available.

If Ann is apprehensive about the ride, this bike will make it easier. It is about 6 pounds lighter than, stock due to most of the steel components being replaced by reliable alloy bits. As for the Bay City Hill, there are vintage 5 speed guts in the 3 speed Sturmey Archer shell and the extra gears are all lower than stock. Stops better too, especially in the rain.

Anyone thinking that a couple of extra gears is “cheating” should know that STO himself rode a 4 speed Moulton on the inaugural 3ST.

Mark Stonich
Bikesmith Design and Fabrication LLC
5349 Elliot Ave
Minneapolis MN USA
Ph. +1 (612) 710-9593

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Mar 23, 2023, 3:25:19 PM3/23/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Yes I did but, truth be told, the aforementioned Moulton was/is a FINO: Fourspeed In Name Only. That being said, riding a four speed hub gear will, at best, raise an eyebrow. A five speed may raise both eyebrows and anything else is simply over the top, frowned upon, and will require special approval.
There are exceptions; the Blind Lord of Kent, to be clear, has earned his respect and may ride anything he wishes.
STO

Mar 23, 2023, 3:52:01 PM3/23/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com

I’ve got aboot’ a dozen 3 speed tours in my past, every single one was done

on the S5 version of the Sturmey Archer internal gear hub.

The first two or three years was because that is what I had. Nobody ever said

a thing, it said on the website if it was English and internal gear, it was welcome.

Open carry might raise eyebrows. An S5, no, not in my experience.

Ted

Kit Spackman

Mar 23, 2023, 3:52:17 PM3/23/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
I'm still buidling my 63 speed Moulton Speedsix Jon, the one with that lovely SunTour S-1 mech that we exchanged. 🙂

When I can afford to have all the braze-ons it needs I'll finish it, I have all the required parts now.

Regards
Kit

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Mar 23, 2023, 4:05:29 PM3/23/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Kit,

Can't wait to see your Speedsix; it sounds spectacular!

I'm working on my S-Safari; wheels are done and polishing the frame is next.

Jon

Open carry might raise eyebrows. An S5, no, not in my experience.

I dunno, if you are walking around with a Sturmey S5 on your hip, people will notice.

Mark Stonich

Mar 23, 2023, 9:41:26 PM3/23/23
On Mar 23, 2023, at 2:52 PM, Kit Spackman <bossp...@hotmail.com> wrote:

When I can afford to have all the braze-ons it needs I'll finish it, I have all the required parts now.

What braze-ons does it need? Are you here in the Twin Cities? For such a mad project I might do a little pro-bono brazing.

Mark Stonich
Bikesmith Design and Fabrication LLC
5349 Elliot Ave
Minneapolis MN USA
Ph. +1 (612) 710-9593

Ian Lindridge

Mar 24, 2023, 7:36:28 AM3/24/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Jon, The Blind Lord of Kent will be riding a 2012 TerraTrike Rover with a Sturmey Archer internal 8 speed. Not English made but an English rear hub should be ok.  Courtesy of Mark Stonich the original cranks were replaced with 165mm cranks & 20 tooth chainring; the machine will ascend The Bay City Hill. Best to ride would be my 2018 TerraTrike Gran Tourismo with a Bosch e-assist but that would be pushing the STO's Benevolence a bit far! The bribe would be historic: my first born, a 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 speed.........
Ian Lindridge a.k.a. The Blind Lord of Kent (BLoK)

Kit Spackman

Mar 24, 2023, 9:00:05 AM3/24/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

I'm 4000 miles away to the East! 🙂 In England and not that far from Bradford-on-Avon where the bike was originally built.

It needs cable ends for the brake and umpteen gear cables as the original Speedsix frame didn't have any, or very few anyway. I'm having the work done by Argos Cycles in Bristol and they're going to re-spray it in the correct Speedsix blue.

It's a Speedsixtythree because it has a Sachs 3x7 hub at the back, with Jon's S-1 shifting the cogs, and a TA triple ring at the front, with Stonglight cranks and Lytoard Marcel Berthet platform pedals. The triple is shifted with a Huret front changer mouned on a special adjustble bracket which I designed and had built by a local machine shop. All very 60s......

30 yrs of MTS experience paying off there Jon, eh?

Regards
Kit

Mar 24, 2023, 11:21:57 AM3/24/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com, Kit Spackman
Hi Kit

We met years ago at Barley John’s when you were in Minneapolis on business and to visit with Jon.  I am intrigued with your Speed Six project.  Would you please post several photos of it as it is now?

Attached is a photo of what I loosely call a Speed 12.  It has 2 chainrings, 3 speed hub, and 2 external gears on the rear Sturmey hub.  Shifting is handled with the trigger shifter and Suntour barend shifters.  Works great.    Jon bought it as a project from a friend.  I bought it as a project from Jon and completed it with Jon’s guidance.  The photo shows the bicycle during a V-CC ride in Connecticut.

Cheers along the path,
Dave Brierley

David Brierley

Mar 25, 2023, 3:32:48 PM3/25/23
to Gentleman Cyclist
Greetings

Forwarding info and photos from Kit Spackman on his Moulton Speed Six.

Dave Brierley
CT ABCE Enthusiast

Begin forwarded message:

On Saturday, March 25, 2023, 1:23 PM, Kit Spackman <bossp...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the interest in my crazy scheme, here's some pics of the various bits of the project.
I found the bike, a complete Speedsix but with a Campag GranSport mech on the back, in a junk shop in Portsmouth UK. It cost me £100 back in the early 90s, so  I guess the seller hadn't a clue what he had, and I sure wasn't going to tell him at that price! It was in fair condition, but had been crudely 'custom painted' as you can see.

I've always wanted a bike with a triple front chainring, just because, and a shop in the North UK was selling off some old stock TA stuff at silly prices, specially Moulton sized rings, so I bought a set. I already had the Stronglight cranks and they all fitted nicely, but because of the Moulton F frame's geometry it's difficult to fit a front changer in the correct place, so I designed up a multi-position bracket to take a wide range Huret changer, and had it machined up at a local shop I know quite well. The bracket can take different thickness spacers to fine tune the position of the changer for and aft.

The SunTour S-1 mech, which Jon swapped with me for some vintage Lyotard pedals I found over here, is almost designed for the Speedsix rear mech bracket, the bracket just needs re-threading and it should be good to go. When it's in its final position the mech parallelogram will be almost horizontal, but at present the bracket, designed for a Benelux Super 60 mech, has an angle stop built in, but that'll need to be sawn and filed to the correct position for the S-1.

So far it's taken me 15-20 yrs to get where it is now, so another 15 should see it all sorted. 🙂 It's probably a good thing that the project has outlasted Alex Moulton himself as he'd have probably blown a fuse on seeing such a radical change to his original design! He wasn't too pleased seeing my 20 speed Safari, which had a Sturmey 5-2 hub gear with a Dave Conley 4 speed block mounted on it.

Regards
Kit

Speedsix-a-800.jpg
Speedsix with TA triple-a-800.jpg
Front changer bracket-b.jpg
Front changer bracket-c.jpg
S-1-a.jpg

charles hughes

Mar 26, 2023, 8:29:14 AM3/26/23
to 'David Brierley' via Gentleman Cyclist
Hi Dave
 Interesting!! Your friend really knows how to re-arange a Moulton. I love it.
Let me know when you want to sell yours.
Hope things are good with you.   Thanks Chuck

Mark Stonich

Mar 26, 2023, 12:13:46 PM3/26/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
4,000 miles? Perfect! I get to look like a true Gentleman by offering, but I don’t have to actually do the work.

From the iPad of Mark Stonich 612-824-2372 (home)
5349 Elliot Ave S.  Minneapolis Minnesota 55417

On Mar 24, 2023, at 8:00 AM, Kit Spackman <bossp...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Mark,

I'm 4000 miles away to the East! 🙂 In England and not that far from Bradford-on-Avon where the bike was originally built.

It needs cable ends for the brake and umpteen gear cables as the original Speedsix frame didn't have any, or very few anyway. I'm having the work done by Argos Cycles in Bristol and they're going to re-spray it in the correct Speedsix blue.

Jon Hanson

Mar 26, 2023, 12:51:27 PM3/26/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
On the subject of Moultons, if anyone is interested in a 1964 F frame, I have one that is a work in progress. I had high hopes of completing this one, but another project (OK, 12 other projects) have hampered my progress.

I had it shipped from England in "kit" form. It was a primed frame with most of the parts. I painted it a sexy orange with grey fenders and rack. I was thinking of Italian sports car colors, though it occurred to me that it's also "Minnesota snow plow".  I also purchased a front rack that is yet to be repainted.

I have purchased new alloy rims/tires and 28 hole hubs, still have the original steel wheels. I have fitted a Stronglight 49D crank, new stem and a replacement used fork, and have a reinforced brazed rear fork that is still unpainted. It has a new pivot. I have some of the original parts that are in various conditions.

As a yet to be finished project, the price would depend on what parts go along with it. There are many ways to slice it.

I'm a year from retirement, and this has been waiting to be finished, but since have added more to the backlog of projects. I wouldn't feel bad about letting go of this one. It has most everything required to be a complete bike, minus the time factor.

If there's interest, I can bring it to Red Wing in May, or I'm in Saint Paul any time, now that I can dig it out of the frozen garage.

Jon Hanson

Mar 26, 2023, 8:31:58 PM3/26/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Any idea what shifter he's going to use?

I have an S-1 on one bike. It's a funky machine, since it indexes at the derailleur. You can shift it with a friction shifter, but it takes a little getting used to. It shifts great, but then again most derailleurs shift great these days.

Rudi

Kit Spackman

Mar 27, 2023, 4:54:09 AM3/27/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
That's a good question. The Speedsixtythree will have Maes dropped bars so I've got some 60s era Campag bar end shifters which look and fit OK, but I've yet to test how they work on the S-1 mech. The mech came with a pair of twist grip shifters but they'd not be appropriate on Maes bars and my arms/hands don't have six degrees of freedom. 🙂

I've also got to figure a way of getting the '3' bit of the Sachs 3x7 shifting too. My Moulton APB Land-Rover, which has the same hub, uses indexed twist grips, but I've found the hub works well with a friction sifter too, and as you say, you just get used to it. Original Speedsixes have a friction shifter boss half way down the steerer tube, which was used to shift the Super 60 mech, and that should handle a fiction sifter for the 3x7 too. We'll see............

Regards
Kit

Tim's Bitstream

Mar 27, 2023, 8:56:42 AM3/27/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
My Sachs T3 works with an indexed Shimano shifter.  It's old enough that it is either 7 or 8 speed.  Setting the cable tension is a bit fiddly.

R H M

Mar 27, 2023, 9:16:18 AM3/27/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
My S-1 is a seven speed model. I tried a few different shifters before I found one that worked well. Simplex retrofriction downtube shifters did not work because they don't pull enough cable; I also tried a modern 11-speed bar end shifter, set on friction mode. The S-1 has more cable travel than most derailleurs. I ended up using Suntour power shifters made for stem mount. The advantage is they're big and clunky. I figured out how to mount the same levers on the downtube.

Rudi