The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour; Cookie Outreach With Princesses

jon gentlemancyclist.com

May 16, 2024, 4:58:36 PMMay 16
Dear Riders of the Realm,

In every 3-Speed Tour, there are bits that appear when you think there are no more bits to arrange, and here they are:
  • We can't forget about Bobbie the 3x2 Speed Lorry driver; she will transport your luggage and make everything appear where it should when you need it as if by magic. She also has a modest assortment of tools and parts. If you are staying in a motel, put your bags in the van, if you are camping, put your bag in the trailer. The trailer gets dropped at the campground. Bobbie's phone number is 612-231-3050. Keep in mind that we Nutters are ruining her weekend as usual so tip accordingly.
  • Ted's wife Maria circulates about the route in a blue Ford pickup; she also carries a few tools and parts.
  • Our friend Dave Wogen from River Rider Cycle will be available to help with repairs if you can make it to Wabasha.
  • Bob Allen has chatted with Anne Tabat of the Lake City Council. Anne is, well, an over-achiever and has agreed to provide milk and cookies for the Brew-Up at Ohuta Park in Lake City. Her note: "For me it remains a cookie outreach event and I plan to be in Ohuta Park Sunday morning around 9:30 with cookies for 100 cyclists and I’ll stay there until about noon. The dairy princesses are to bring milk and the woman’s club may have a few tablecloths and flowers.  And other people may drop by to say hello.  The new bathrooms should be open at the park and the Public Works agreed to leave the extra picnic tables from the Governors Fishing Open there another week for your use." Her timeframe is wildly optimistic and Bob could not talk her down from the ledge so 9:30 it is. If I'm not mistaken, 9:30 is about when we will be leaving Wabasha.
  • Head count is hovering around 72.
Jon Sharratt, Shirt-Tail Organiser Emeritus

Theodore Schefelbein

May 17, 2024, 8:08:31 AMMay 17
to Gentleman Cyclist
Marie’s phone number is 612-412-3135. She was a popular girl on day one of last year’s event.

She does indeed have tools in the back of that truck, and, far more important, a cooler full of beer. The only problem, is, in spite of me attempting to instruct her in the use of a few of those tools, she will be of no help getting a broken bike back on the road. I might as well have tried to teach astrophysics to the cats. But, she generally has a pretty good idea where I am, and, the truck has a bike rack on it, which, to be honest, gets used as much as the tools.

There was only one year in the last fifteen or so that she was not in attendance, visiting her family in Bogota. Every other year has featured me, sitting on my ass, next to the truck, at some point in the ride, pressing a cotter, and the sacrifice of one of my hoard of brother-in-law cotters.
If you had told me, a decade and a half ago, that that would be the case, I wouldn’t have believed you.

Yet, here we are.

The kid on the DL-1 Roadster is my son Chris, and is usually conscious of my whereabouts, as well. Usually. If you feel the need to communicate in a second language they can both happily chatter in Spanish.

Tally ho.

Ted

Jon Hanson

May 17, 2024, 3:12:44 PMMay 17
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Jon:

I'm going to shirk my responsibilty to ride around the Lake this year in lieu of other responsibilities. My Father in Law has been in bad shape, and when you're a month away from 100 years old, that could mean anything. I'm going to try to keep my wife from spending 32 hours a day with him, for her sake, (which is ultimately for my sake as well).

If there is a nutter in need, please apply any leftover registration in that direction or make the books $30 fancier for next year.

Jon Hanson

May 17, 2024, 3:18:28 PMMay 17
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
OK, best of luck and thanks for letting me know.
Jon

May 17, 2024, 10:04:22 PMMay 17
to Gentleman Cyclist

Jon,
Terribly sorry to hear that. We will miss you.

Ted