a few snapshots :)

Tim Long

Jun 7, 2021, 3:28:28 PM6/7/21
to Gentleman Cyclist

more to come, by category!

A Mixte is a Fine Frame, But the Humber Turning Waters 05 15 2021.jpg
Noel at the Stone Wall Old Frontenac 05 16 2021.jpg
Jim Lisa Ascend Rt 10 Fr Wabasha 05 16 2021.jpg
Riders at Smiling Pelican 05 15 2021.jpg

Jon Culver

Jun 7, 2021, 3:35:33 PM6/7/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Those are cool photos. What camera did you use?

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021, 14:28 Tim Long <long...@gmail.com> wrote:

more to come, by category!

Tim Long

Jun 8, 2021, 12:08:51 PM6/8/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Good Morning, IH!

Fittingly, it's my Minolta SRT 101, an SLR I bought new in 1972, with its original Rokkor 55mm normal lens.  I added a green filter, which brightens foliage in the images; next year, I'll have orange and red filters which do wonderful things for sky and horizon.

I've been using this German /  Czech b & w film from Lomography (one can find them on the Google), and these rolls were ASA 100 "Potsdam Kino".  There's a guy in Davenport who develops b & w film in his basement lab, and runs prints.  I understand it's the only service for this stuff between Chicago and Des Moines.  If he retires from his hobby, I suppose I'll have to go hunting for the development gear and add that to my kit of stuff maintaining connections and a life not linked to the "conveniences" of that guy about to shoot himself into outer space, or those other guys I wish would (thinking of you two, Mark and Cheryl Z).  Which seems right, by the way...

And, speaking of next year, I'm sorely tempted to carry the re-furbed Kodak 35 Rangefinder, the camera my dad carried throughout the Pacific theater of war, and captured all those snapshots of us at birthdays, camping, etc, too.  That means that either I: get a lot of practice with the knowing of light and f settings by memory, or carry a light meter around my neck, too.  Along with red, yellow, orange and green filters.  Oh, the joys of scavenging at estate and garage sales.

These photos demonstrated a good deal of contrast as printed (in part the nature of this film, and having to shoot at low-ish shutter speeds and low f settings, what with the low film speed and the green filter), and in the scanning of them, the  contrast was increased another nudge, which, I think, properly reflects the quiet drama, inherent, of really enjoying something so pleasurably simple, like the LP3ST.  I think both Wendell Berry and Aldo Leopold have words to this matter.  Essay to that effect to follow, sometime.

I'll post the remainder of the photos, categorized, right after I finish that warm croissant for elevensies.

Thanks for the note!

Tim
Just up the hill from Lock 15

Stephen T Brink

Jun 9, 2021, 3:46:29 AM6/9/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Tim, The photos are excellent and added a twist on recalling the event in a totally different way.  Thanks for the inspiration.  I may have to dig out my old 35mm.
Steve B

Sent from my iPad

Tim Long

Jun 9, 2021, 10:53:35 AM6/9/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Thank you, Steve,

I cannot recommend highly enough a transition from the handy, but omnipresent do-all comms device ubiquitously attached to the left hand of so many of us, to sending a roll of film to the lab, and looking through the prints in the parking lot.  I will admit to being several months behind with putting the better snaps in the album.

I think I have enough in the checking to order those additional yellow, orange and red filters for the b & w shots...

More postings of images to come in the heat of the afternoon.  Including my other favorite picture from the ride.

Matthew Cole

Jun 9, 2021, 3:31:19 PM6/9/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
As a handy rule of thumb for exposure, remember the Sunny f/16 rule: in sunlight, the exposure is f/16 at 1/Film ISO.  That would be 1/100th at f/16 although that SRT-101 is going to want 1/125th, close enough.  Then you can use any equivalent combination: f/11 (more light) at 1/250th (less time), f/8 (more light again) at 1/500th, (even less time) etc.  Filters will start altering this.  Also, being in shade, clouds, etc require more exposure.  A light meter can be handy.  At one time I had a Nikormat FS with no light meter, so incident-metered everything, and damned if I didn’t get just wonderful exposures.

As a side note, the exposure combination you use (1/125 at f/16, 1/250 f/11, etc) should have no effect on the contrast of the photo.  The film matters, the filters make things change, how it’s developed matters, the printing paper and even enlarger light source matter, but the original exposure, as long as it’s about correct, doesn’t really affect contrast.

If you want to read about f/stops (and really, who doesn’t?) on a page that about fifteen years ago was the top Google hit for both “f/stop” and “tedious”, have a look at http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm.

Have fun with you Minolta!

The Vicar

Tim Long

Jun 9, 2021, 3:51:15 PM6/9/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
I'm nothing if not both entirely enthused about "f/stop", and also tedious.  Just ask Karen :)

I vaguely recall my dad having provided me a similar explanation on the f/16 rule and exposure, Vicar, and now am feeling just a smidge reflective, and warmed by the memory.

And Thanks very much for the link to the well, explained subject of exposure -  I was wondering;
did the fellow who took apart a Rokkor 300mm lens get the little tiny bits all back into the lens barrel?

Tim

Mark Stonich

Jun 9, 2021, 4:55:42 PM6/9/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
My dad never learned to use a light meter or had a camera with any kind of range finder. He said all he knew about exposure he learned from the little sheet of paper in the Kodak film boxes. Yet he won several photo contests in the 40s and early 50s and his photo record of the last logging run down a river in MN was published in a national magazine. I still remember the smells of the chemicals in his cramped darkroom, a converted coal bin.

He never had much money. So he would take just one shot of a subject, to make a roll of film last for months. Always properly exposed and in focus. On his last roll of film, taken 43 years ago, was a photo of my sons, in deep shade, with a white house in bright sunlight in the background. Perfectly exposed.

Wonder what he’d think of me shooting 1,400 frames in 3 hours with my “computer with a lens” in burst mode? I got 4 “keepers” that day.

While I have no interest in going back to film, I have found a way to connect with the old ways. Digitally restoring old family photos.

Jane sent out these two on Memorial Day of her uncle Gene. He dropped out of school to join up at 17 and died at Guadalcanal at age 20.

Mark Stonich
Bikesmith Design and Fabrication LLC
5349 Elliot Ave
Minneapolis MN USA
Ph. +1 (612) 710-9593

Tim Long

Jun 14, 2021, 12:57:14 PM6/14/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Wonderful images, Mark.  All the more meaningful for the upheaval in which Jane's Uncle Gene found himself.  My old man showed up for the same conflagration in the Pacific Theater, without the tragic ending.  Changed man, though, for the experience.
Guam, at the Unofficial USN photo lab...
SF Shorty Long 1944.jpg
Message has been deleted

Tim Long

Jun 15, 2021, 4:45:59 PM6/15/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Cool.  I think those merit enlarging to hang in the shop, alongside my Baxter Triumph motorcycle calendar!  I'm interested!

Thanks,

Tim

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 2:47:40 PM UTC-5 crump...@gmail.com wrote:
Me and me mates playing TDF 1950 in the back yard of our semi-detached house, like we all lived in those days in Yardley Birmingham Endgland Kodak Brownie Black white film I have dozens of these if you are interestedMe 1950 001.jpg
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted