Body, Mind, Machine

Ian Lindridge

Jan 15, 2023, 5:55:56 PM1/15/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
The STO has given the go-ahead to prepare our machines (if they're not in the snowed in shed) for the 3 Speed Tour Around Lake Pepin. There is more to this event than merely having a machine that will survive the hills or Western Wisconsin (tho' a terminal machine failure is a nice excuse to see The Tour from the comfort of a motor vehicle), we need to prepare mentally and physically. Mentally is perspective but feeding our body for endurance is more possible. Here is a delicious Scottish recipe for "Square Sausage" to nourish and warm our souls. I copied and pasted some or the recipe & filled in & embellished some information for the non professional cooks. The All Seeing Not Blind Lady of Kent comments on how much youtube or cooking shows I watch but she seems to dig into my creations with enthusiasm.

Throw out your Spam, this recipe is delicious.
Ian Lindridge a.k.a. The Blind Lord of Kent

If the link below doesn't open here's the recipe for you to copy and paste.

Square Sausage

What I used - 3.5 Litre Crockpot (serves 5-6 people)

10 Lorne (Square sliced) Sausages - Fry them for a few minutes before adding to the slow cooker for colour.

1 Medium onion - Diced  - possibly mushrooms?

14 fluid ounces boiling water

3 OXO cubes crumbled - or similar beef stock cubes

*Optional baby potatoes, carrots or other diced root vegetables could be added*

Directions

Slice desired amt. of sausage (example was 4) & sear in a pan. No oil needed.

Remove sausage to a bowl, set aside. Don’t drain pan.

Add onions, cook til soft. Mushrooms too?

Cut sausage into bite size pieces.

Add sausage & onions (mushrooms) to slow cooker on low.

Pour beef bouillon into cooker, stir.

Cook on low 5 hours. Check gravy level occasionally, add if needed.

Serve with peas, mashed or French fried potatoes. Perhaps with baked beans.

If you can’t find Square sliced sausage where you are, I do have a video recipe on the channel where you can make your own :) Click here, and it will take you to it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oqg0...

Make Square Sausage

Today I’m making a traditional Scottish breakfast sausage :) Known simply as ’square sausage’ although in other parts of the country you may hear it being called ‘Lorne’ or even ‘slice’ Most commonly eaten in a bread roll, sandwich or a cooked Scottish breakfast. My mother used to stew these in gravy with onions and carrots for tea at night :) I’ve listed everything I used below…in case you want to give it a go for yourself. ___________________________________________________________________ I used a 2 pound loaf tin (this will give you 9 good slices)

1lb Minced pork shoulder (you’ll want quite a high fat content)

1lb Minced beef (again, you’ll want quite a high fat content)

1 cup Butchers rusk (your butcher should be happy to give you some!) or dried breadcrumbs

1 Teaspoon Ground coriander

1 Teaspoon Ground nutmeg

3 Teaspoons salt

1/2 Teaspoon white pepper

1 Egg

About a cup Chilled water (I only used half that but you may need it all)

Serving suggestion **serve inside a bread roll** :)

Directions

Break up ground beef in a bowl & add spices.

Add egg.

Add pork & combine everything. Hands work best.

Make a well in center of meat mix, add half the water, combine. Add water if needed to make a sticky mix.

Add bread crumbs, mix well.

Prepare loaf pan: line with cling wrap. This will help remove the loaf from the pan.

Press meat mix into loaf pan, press firmly & into corners. Be sure to press firmly so loaf will cut cleanly.

Put into fridge for minimum 3 hours, 8 hrs. best or overnight.

Remove from loaf pan, discard cling wrap.

Cut 1/2” or thicker slices.

Fry in a small amt. of oil or butter, or grill, for about 4 min. per side.

Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain.

Use sausage in a roll/sandwich or with fried egg, chips, salad or cut tomatoes. Maybe baked beans too. Could add fried onions to sandwich, ketchup.

Recipe Slow Cooker Square Sausage and Gravy.docx

John Hardy

Jan 15, 2023, 6:59:34 PM1/15/23
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Sounds yummy. Not sure I’m up for that much prep though. Making the sausage sounds easy, but…

Thx Blind Lord. Miss seeing you at BJ’s.