Perfect Weather on Sunday (6/26)... Anybody Want to Ride?

Gary Charpentier

Jun 25, 2022, 9:51:35 AM6/25/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
I'm thinking about a 20-mile loop with frequent refreshment stops in the Saint Paul to Inver Grove Heights areas, mostly down along the Mississippi River. We could meet for breakfast at the Mississippi Pub and go from there. Julio and Russel have done this ride with me in the past, and we had a great day out.

Please let me know if anyone is interested, and I will provide more information.

Cheers!

Mark Brigham

Jun 25, 2022, 10:02:16 AM6/25/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
I love doing these rides along various reaches of the Mississippi. I’d go but I’m out of town this weekend. Have a great ride, and I’ll join you another time.

Mark

Mark Brigham
--
Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. --Marie Curie

Gary Charpentier

Jun 25, 2022, 4:03:01 PM6/25/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Hello? Anyone? C'mon folks, I've just returned from scouting this route, and it is wide open trails all the way. The beer is cold, the food is excellent, and if we get a few of us together, the company will be wonderful! Did I mention that the weather is going to be perfect? Bring any bicycle you want, no restrictions with regards to your ride of choice.

Route and stops along the way:
  • Meet at Joseph's Grill 140 Wabasha Street South, Saint Paul for breakfast @ 9 a.m.
  • Follow Mississippi River Trail to Mississippi Pub for a hydration stop.
  • Climb 70th Street hill to Cahill, Right to 65th Street hill.
  • Left on Lion's Park Trail, across Hwy 52 and McGroarty Park Trail to Cenex Drive, Right onto Babcock Trail.
  • Right on Mendota Rd to BLVD Tavern for another hydration stop.
  • Back to Oakdale Ave, Right to Thompson Lake Trail, to Sperl Street.
  • Sperl to Bernard, and left across Robert Street to Stryker.
  • Right on Stryker to optional stop at Wabasha Brewing Co. taproom on Wabasha & Cesar Chavez.
  • Continue down the hill, back to Joseph's Grill.
And that's it. I hope to see some of you there tomorrow. If not, I'll post this again with a little more notice next time.

Cheers!
Gary Charpentier

Barry Hans

Jun 25, 2022, 4:43:20 PM6/25/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately Sunday will not work for me. I think ride postings are a wonderful idea! It sure would be nice to get together with others from this group outside of the 3 Speed Tour & ABCE.

Gary Charpentier

Jun 25, 2022, 7:36:23 PM6/25/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Well, I'll be at Joseph's in the morning, 9 a.m. - Hope to see some of you there.

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Jun 25, 2022, 10:32:28 PM6/25/22
to 'Gary Charpentier' via Gentleman Cyclist
Gary,
In your opinion, would this route work for a new ABCE Saturday Gentleman's Tour?
STO

Jun 26, 2022, 4:47:36 AM6/26/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning, Jon!

My answer to your question is Yes, with one caveat: that 70th street hill climb. Think half of Bay City Hill, and of course there is no shame in dismounting.

The entire route is very bike-friendly, in that it is mostly trails, and the street sections have nice, wide bike lanes.

Here are some other tidbits that came to me as the idea took shape:

Call it a "Perverse Or UNusual Climatic Event (POUNCE) Ride" - Everyone in this area knows that the coincidence of good weather and a weekend when you are free to ride is, at best, a happy accident. The POUNCE Ride is, by it's very nature, an opportunistic play. One which, for example, might justify the sacrifice of a day of yard work or a minor family obligation. Short notice and spontaneity are integral to its success, and we can do several throughout the course of the season. "Sorry I couldn't make it to (insert boring activity here)... Something came up at the last minute."

We could have a loose dress code of shorts and Hawaiian shirts for these rides, perhaps with bonus points for leis, sandals, or straw hats? Any GC member could suggest a route as long as it is reasonably well-planned and scouted in advance. If we have more than one suggestion for a given ride, we could vote on the GC forum.

Why don't you join me later this morning, and we can research it together?

Gary

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Jun 26, 2022, 8:57:40 AM6/26/22
to 'gary charpentier' via Gentleman Cyclist
Can't make it; I'm at the farm.
STO