Snaps, Lake City Brew Up, etc

Tim Long

Jun 10, 2021, 1:20:40 PM6/10/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
What quiet pleasure, reflecting in black and white, upon a near-perfect day of touring.  Not to mention the thoughtful reflections on old photos that came into the discussion, and photography itself.

More to follow, but must head for the post office with packages for the kids,  pdq.

Jim, Tim and Lisa in a Cloud Brew Up 05 16 2021.jpg
Brew Up a la Seurat 05 16 2021.jpg
Robinsons Various at Brew Up 05 16 2021.jpg
Brew Up Overall 05 16 2021.jpg

Paulos, Richard G

Jun 10, 2021, 1:48:36 PM6/10/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
A question on cameras. Were there any British film cameras from the era? Or was the industry dominated by Kodak, German or Japanese companies?

If you are being "more British than the British", ;) a camera from England would be the way to go.

Rick

What quiet pleasure, reflecting in black and white, upon a near-perfect day of touring. Not to mention the thoughtful reflections on old photos that came into the discussion, and photography itself.

More to follow, but must head for the post office with packages for the kids, pdq.

John Crump

Jun 10, 2021, 3:14:54 PM6/10/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
I know in the late 1940 early 1950s Kodak was the most popular in my home city of Birmingham, my Dad God bless him. had a Kodak Brownie all the time. Photo is one he took with the Kodak of me racing in a Mass Start at Sutton Park In Birmingham in 195, they always had crowds there and it was fun to hear the cheering, I have to laugh now at the Cellphone cameras, what an advance in Technoligy Dad would be very impressed Actually I think the photo is spot on!!  John Crump22228432_1164327127000655_1542386866021609239_n.jpg

adventurepdx

Jun 11, 2021, 12:43:02 AM6/11/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Regarding Rick's question:

The UK wasn't a photography powerhouse in the same way they were for bicycles. Germany was the key player in cameras up until the 1960s, when Japan took over. There were some British camera companies (including Kodak's UK wing, which made some of their own cameras), though some were simply rebadged (West) German cameras.

Possibly the most unique British camera was the Purma Special, sort of like a Brownie, and made in the millions:

Here's a basic page on British cameras: http://www.cjs-classic-cameras.co.uk/other/british.html

Finding actual UK-made cameras in the US would be hard, as they never really got imported in any numbers over here. If you really want one, going via UK eBay is probably the best bet (but be prepared for high shipping costs.)

In regards to film photography, England still makes film. Ilford/Harman is still one of the biggest film-making companies in the world, and their film is pretty easy to find State-side. They only make black and white, though. Perfect for the Three Speed Tour!

Best,
Shawn

Matthew Cole

Jun 11, 2021, 8:46:49 AM6/11/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Not that I’m aware of. I know that when Eric Newby took photos on his 1938/39 trip to Australia and back in a Finnish barque he took a German Zeiss folding camera. His books The Last Grain Race (account of the trip) and Learning The Ropes (photos from the trip) are superb. The ship, Moshulu, is now moored as a restaurant in Philadelphia.

The Vicar

Sent whilst mobile

> On Jun 10, 2021, at 12:48 PM, Paulos, Richard G <rick-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
>
> A question on cameras. Were there any British film cameras from the era? Or was the industry dominated by Kodak, German or Japanese companies?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gentlemancyclist/PH0PR04MB7191C98C104003B2A14F2F81EF359%40PH0PR04MB7191.namprd04.prod.outlook.com.

Mark Brigham

Jun 11, 2021, 11:35:06 AM6/11/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
British made cameras piqued my curiosity last night, so I googled it and found this collection.  http://www.cjs-classic-cameras.co.uk/other/british.html

Some real fine looking vintage cameras.

Kit Spackman

Jun 11, 2021, 12:40:11 PM6/11/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
There were a few British-made cameras around in the 30s, the Ensign being just one. IIRC Kodak actually made some of their models over here during that period.

There's a good site about Brit cameras here British vintage cameras (cjs-classic-cameras.co.uk), but many of them didn't get going till the 50s. I used to have a Corfield back then, which used Leica lenses, but I could never afford any of the non-standard ones. 🙁

In the opposite direction I had an Argus C3 as my day-to-day camera for many years, and I still have it somewhere, but its focusing gears have stripped sadly.

Regards
Kit
Best of British. The title is meant a little tongue in cheek, Britain was never really known for its great camera industry, unless perhaps in the very early days, but it nevertheless had some well-respected brands and included some great cameras.

Jun 11, 2021, 12:41:10 PM6/11/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Snap! We found the same site. 🙂

Regards
Kit

Jun 11, 2021, 2:52:13 PM6/11/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Well, I posted that site on this thread before both of you!
-Shawn

John Crump

Jun 11, 2021, 4:55:55 PM6/11/21
to Gentleman Cyclist
Great info. I had no idea that any cameras made in England, I know Dads camera was a Kodak because he got it from our family in the USA, that had moved there in the late1800s Dad was quite proud that he had an American Camera