The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour; Confusing the Commoners

jon gentlemancyclist.com

May 21, 2024, 5:51:44 PMMay 21

Our bicycling adventures through the countryside of the Lake Pepin area presents a confusing image for the “modern” neighbors. Here we have well-dressed adults riding bicycles that most have never seen nor heard of before; loop framed Raleigh, Bates Unorthodox, Humber Duplex, Mercian Mixte, and the list goes on and on. These are long-since discontinued bicycles that represents some of the finest Steeds ever made, regardless of the country of origin. We love these bicycles and every year we put them to the test with an adventure around the Loch.

Our test begins in Red Wing, Minnesota at Colvill Park with the Message from the King; a tale of Royal adventure as delivered by John Palmer. The Quicker Vicar is up next with The Blessing of the Bicycles, plus a responsive reading from the Hymnal and a sing-along about our best friend and worst enemy; the Brooks saddle. Eventually the call went out “Go forth and ride”, and ride we certainly did; through Red Wing, over the Mississippi bridge, into Wisconsin and downstream to Bay City.

At Bay City we always take a break. Not a necessary break, but a nervous break because of the Bay City Hill. So we we have some water, maybe a snack, and then up we go. The Bay City Hill is a brute; 2.5 miles of serious grade. Many people walked but some made it all the way then relaxed on the lawn of Tabor Church.

Some people were nervous about getting to the Smiling Pelican before they sold out so off we went. The Bay City Plummet is first, however, and many comet trails were seen coming off the brake pads. Yes we were in a hurry, but first, a photo or 2 must be done at the mysterious Loch Pepin marker sign overlooking the lake.

Rolling into Maiden Rock we gathered at the gardens of the Smiling Pelican. This is a magic spot with many tables and chairs for enjoying Elevenses with banana crème pie, cookies or other treats.

Pressing on, we enjoyed a strengthening tailwind into Stockholm; we normally have lunch here since there are some good choices. The Humble Moon Saloon had a special reception for us with cucumber sandwiches and tea.

Next up was the little town of Pepin with the Villa Bellezza winery plus other good restaurants including the Harbor View.
After Pepin come the dreaded stretch of road that runs all the way into [Lord] Nelson. This road is long, sometimes boring and the multiple bridges over the Chippewa river delta are very bumpy. Not today, however, since the tailwind pushed us along merrily so we could scan the scenery, listen to the birds and simply enjoy the ride.

After passing through [Lord] Nelson, the long stretch over the causeway into Wabasha was the final push for the day. Long, loud and boring, it is punctuated by the imposing bridge over the Mississippi River channel. The fast descent down the other side is tempered by the anticipation of a warm shower and dinner.

Sunday morning found us at the St. Felix fundraising breakfast. This was a big production for the local church community with sausage and all-you-can-eat waffles. Nobody left hungry.

We were soon on our way to Lake City over gentle hills and beautiful vistas. Arriving in Lake City, we were greeted by a new beachfront courtyard, tablecloths on every table, a professional photographer, Ann the Cookie Lady, the Lake City Mayor and 2 Dairy Princesses. Meanwhile, the Nutters were setting up their picnic table displays for the Brew Up and what a stunning show it was. The winning display was Jo and Tim, 2nd place was Patti and Taka.

Eventually, we rolled out of Lake City toward Old Frontenac and the Old Stone Wall. A treasured spot, this, and we lingered for a quite a while. Pipes were soon pulled out, lit up and enjoyed. This is a perfect place to relax in the company of a Civil War era dry-stacked wall. Many photos were taken, stories were told and eventually we realized we must face the reality that all cycle tourists must face: the final leg.

We pushed off and headed to Highway 61; all is not gloom since Ski Road provides a nice diversion off the highway. Ski Road drifts along at the base of the bluffs and is littered with wild flowers and views of the countryside but, alas, eventually put you back onto Highway 61.

Soon we were back where we started at Colvill Park and the Nutters all packed-up, distributed the final handshakes and hugs then met at Red Wing Brewing for Pizza.

Bicycling provides endless variety for those willing to enjoy a bit of adventure on the wheel. To some, it all seems confusing and inconvenient but to the Riders of the Realm, the 3-speed bicycle is the route to beauty, adventure and a life well-lived.

Best along the Path,
Jon Sharratt, Shirt Tail Organiser Emeritus
Use the tiny pull-down menu for past years

Theodore Schefelbein

May 29, 2024, 6:08:01 PMMay 29
to Gentleman Cyclist

Pressing a cotter. Again. The high tea lady’s bike in the queue. But, lunch was just around the corner at the brew up.
Ted
682bbb29-06fb-4971-95be-de51a79913fe.jpeg

Theodore Schefelbein

May 29, 2024, 6:11:09 PMMay 29
to Gentleman Cyclist
Chris babies the DL-1, the version with 8” crank arms, into Old Frontenac.

Ted

76650f2f-241b-46ce-91b8-53e353fb4b89.jpeg

John Crump

Jun 1, 2024, 11:11:29 AMJun 1
to Gentleman Cyclist
As my Dear Old Mother (God Bless her) In Brum 205178471_324793055755742_4707299075780453641_n.jpg  would say