The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour; Philatelic Dedication

jon gentlemancyclist.com

Mar 12, 2023, 5:15:16 PM3/12/23
Dear Riders of the Realm,

By now, Winter should be weakening, snow should be mostly gone, and our hopes rising with the temperatures. Not so fast Watson; we seem to be locked into some odd holding pattern that prevents access to the shed that contains our collection of obsolete bicycles. We need to drag one out, pump up the tyres and come to the realisation that all these rusty crocks need work. Ugh, back to the house. No need to worry, there is still brandy left in the bottle and furniture left to burn. For now, simply sidle up to the fire, enjoy a sip and hope for spring to arrive.

Other bits and bobs:
  • My pestering of the USPS has finally born fruit; their "Mighty Mississippi" stamp series features, in the upper right corner, a view of both our route (Wisconsin 35) and the Loch from the top of Rock Maiden. Not everyone has seen this view since it is after the Smiling Pelican Bakery and the load of pastry we are carrying is enough to discourage even the most dedicated. Thanks to the USPS, we may now enjoy the view without the climb. Many thanks to Grant Lubin as well.
  • Brenda at Turning Waters has come through again for Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast. Here is her note: "The menu will be the same as last year: pulled pork (and a little chicken) and for any vegetarians, I will have something for them, mushy peas, potatoes, bun, and I will have some fruit and apple crisp for dessert.  I will order the tent and chairs and have music if the weather permits. Breakfast will be the spread like I had before as well.  $30 dinner and $18 for breakfast.  I will accept Venmo @brendapearson 561-307-4978 and or cc which will involve a small fee."
  • Yes, Brenda has her own Brewery.
  • Bag tags have arrived; resplendent in black with silver lettering, they are in houour of our fallen hero, Noel. I have approximately 80 extras.
  • Tourbook illustrations have been chosen and this year will be a full Frank Patterson number.
  • Most will remember last year, the devious "Loch Pepin" sign that Andy planted at the rest stop to replace the one from the highway department that went missing. That sign will return with an added bonus; you can now have your picture taken with Noel. No alchemy, reincarnation, or other mystery; Andy is arranging a full-size cutout that will be posed next to the sign. You may also bring notes, photos, ribbons or any other remembrance you wish.
Best along the path,
Jon Sharratt, Shirt-Tail Organiser
"REVIVING THE HEART AND SOUL OF ENGLISH CYCLING -ONE PASTRY AT A TIME."

The Mississippi River is at the core of the nation’s heritage and is variously referred to as America’s backbone, its heart, and its soul