Application for admittance to the Gentleman Cyclist Key Holders Club

emman...@aol.com

Sep 19, 2021, 8:30:49 PM9/19/21
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
In order to purchase a working key over the internet you will need your key code, if you want to get a key locally your locksmith will pick the lock and hand file a key that works.

If you have a key code stamped on the face of your lock or elsewhere you can order cut keys from either David West (ebay DJW2547) in Nottingham or (ebay) Morrie59 in Australia. The keys from David West are original equipment, period correct Wilmot Breedon STEEL keys, the keys from Australia are modern day blanks.

If you have a Raleigh front fork and the key code is not stamped on the face or nearby you can remove the lock and most likely find the key code on the lock itself. If you have a Humber or Rudge, you need to remove the "chromium dome" in order to remove the lock and there are NO replacements available. A patient person could do it, others will ruin this irreplaceable part.

I took my Humber to the locksmith I have always used, A-Dave's at Broadway and Fremont Ave N in Minneapolis and the locksmith was able to pick the lock and hand file a modern key blank in about 5 minutes.  It cost $15 to pick and then $3.50 per modern key, so I got 4 keys for $30. It was mentioned that Kay Keys 249 E 7th St in St. Paul will do this for you, A-1 Lock Service by Kee Wee at 191 Snelling Ave N would most likely do the same. There is a locksmith in Maple Grove that I have used for other things. So many Locksmiths now are a person with a van, not a shop with hundreds of blanks for almost every purpose.

After I had my keys from the locksmith and knew the lock worked I sent a photo of the key to David but he could not find the correct key by matching the photo to his blanks as there were several different keys that looked like mine so I purchased the uncut blanks and had my locksmith copy the profile he made to the new steel blanks, I think $1 each.

When I wheeled the bike into the shop my locksmith asked if the lock even works, "don't know, never had a key". Does your lock even work?

I prefer the original equipment WIlmot Breedon key becuase it is period correct and an All Steel Bicycle should not have a pot metal key, it should have a steel one.

There is not much of a difference in price for the keys, the Wilmot Breedon in total will cost you $20, the modern blank from Australia will cost you $15 and the local locksmith might be $15 to pick and $3.50 per cut key.

Oh, yes, remember, DO NOT RIDE WITH KEY IN LOCK, I think the real danger is that the sloppy lock will release the key and it will be lost but it could also lock the fork on you.