Genshi PY3 status

Nicolas Évrard

Jun 12, 2012, 12:22:26 PM6/12/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

If I remember correctly, the only think blocking python 3 support in
genshi (through 2to3) was the release of 0.6. I might be wrong but I
think the release has never been done.

Are there bugs that need some work to accelerate the movement ?

--
(°> Nicolas Évrard
( ) Liège

signature.asc

Simon Cross

Jun 13, 2012, 6:36:12 PM6/13/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Nicolas Évrard <ni...@no-log.org> wrote:
> If I remember correctly, the only think blocking python 3 support in
> genshi (through 2to3) was the release of 0.6. I might be wrong but I
> think the release has never been done.

Yes, that's relatively accurate except that the release with Python 3
support will be 0.7 (0.6 was released some time ago).

> Are there bugs that need some work to accelerate the movement ?

There is one critical outstanding bug that would need to be fixed
before a 0.7 release:

http://genshi.edgewall.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&order=priority&priority=critical&col=id&col=summary&col=priority&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=milestone

There are also a few test breakages introduced by the latest Python
2.7 (a few Genshi tests needlessly rely on some corner case behaviour
of the HTMLParser -- Genshi itself isn't affect by this).

Nicklas Börjesson

Jun 23, 2012, 7:43:28 PM6/23/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have perhaps misused the bug reporting system, but this seems also to be a problem at py3.2: http://genshi.edgewall.org/ticket/428
It seems to be a difference in the parsing.

//Nicklas

Nicolas Évrard

Sep 13, 2012, 7:16:00 AM9/13/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
* Simon Cross [2012-06-14 00:36 +0200]:
>On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Nicolas Évrard <ni...@no-log.org> wrote:
>> If I remember correctly, the only think blocking python 3 support in
>> genshi (through 2to3) was the release of 0.6. I might be wrong but I
>> think the release has never been done.
>
>Yes, that's relatively accurate except that the release with Python 3
>support will be 0.7 (0.6 was released some time ago).
>
>> Are there bugs that need some work to accelerate the movement ?
>
>There is one critical outstanding bug that would need to be fixed
>before a 0.7 release:
>
>http://genshi.edgewall.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&order=priority&priority=critical&col=id&col=summary&col=priority&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=milestone

I added a patch on the ticket with the suggestion of MikeP. All tests
passes.

>There are also a few test breakages introduced by the latest Python
>2.7 (a few Genshi tests needlessly rely on some corner case behaviour
>of the HTMLParser -- Genshi itself isn't affect by this).

I made a ticket and a patch for those tests:

http://genshi.edgewall.org/ticket/529
signature.asc

Nicolas Évrard

Sep 13, 2012, 9:32:46 AM9/13/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
* Nicolas Évrard [2012-09-13 13:16 +0200]:
BTW applying both patches and running the tests works under python3!

--
Nicolas Évrard

B2CK SPRL
rue de Rotterdam, 4
4000 Liège
Belgium
Tel: +32 472 54 46 59
E-mail/Jabber: nicolas...@b2ck.com
Website: http://www.b2ck.com/
signature.asc

jerry

Sep 18, 2012, 8:19:46 AM9/18/12
to Genshi
Great, does this mean an official Genshi release supporting Python3 is
around the corner?

Cheers,
Jerry

On Sep 13, 9:32 pm, Nicolas Évrard <ni...@openhex.org> wrote:
> * Nicolas Évrard  [2012-09-13 13:16 +0200]:
>

> >* Simon Cross  [2012-06-14 00:36 +0200]:
>
> >>Yes, that's relatively accurate except that the release with Python 3
> >>support will be 0.7 (0.6 was released some time ago).

> >>There is one critical outstanding bug that would need to be fixed
> >>before a 0.7 release:
>
> >>http://genshi.edgewall.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=re...
>
> >I added a patch on the ticket with the suggestion of MikeP. All tests
> >passes.
>
> >>There are also a few test breakages introduced by the latest Python
> >>2.7 (a few Genshi tests needlessly rely on some corner case behaviour
> >>of the HTMLParser -- Genshi itself isn't affect by this).
>
> >I made a ticket and a patch for those tests:
>
> BTW applying both patches and running the tests works under python3!
>
> --
> Nicolas Évrard
>
> B2CK SPRL
> rue de Rotterdam, 4
> 4000 Liège
> Belgium
> Tel: +32 472 54 46 59
> E-mail/Jabber: nicolas.evr...@b2ck.com
> Website:http://www.b2ck.com/
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Nicolas Évrard

Sep 18, 2012, 9:20:26 AM9/18/12
to Genshi
* jerry [2012-09-18 14:19 +0200]:
>Great, does this mean an official Genshi release supporting Python3 is
>around the corner?

I certainly hope so, genshi being the last library blocking me from
publishing my patches for the support of python3 on Tryton.

I must say that for a short moment I investigated the idea of using
another templating engine. The work of porting templates from one
engine to another made me change my mind.
signature.asc

Nicolas Évrard

Sep 26, 2012, 6:05:41 AM9/26/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
* Nicolas Évrard [2012-09-13 15:32 +0200]:
>* Nicolas Évrard [2012-09-13 13:16 +0200]:
>>* Simon Cross [2012-06-14 00:36 +0200]:
>>>
>>>Yes, that's relatively accurate except that the release with Python 3
>>>support will be 0.7 (0.6 was released some time ago).

>>>There is one critical outstanding bug that would need to be fixed
>>>before a 0.7 release:
>>>
>>>http://genshi.edgewall.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&order=priority&priority=critical&col=id&col=summary&col=priority&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=milestone
>>
>>I added a patch on the ticket with the suggestion of MikeP. All tests
>>passes.
>>
>>>There are also a few test breakages introduced by the latest Python
>>>2.7 (a few Genshi tests needlessly rely on some corner case behaviour
>>>of the HTMLParser -- Genshi itself isn't affect by this).
>>
>>I made a ticket and a patch for those tests:
>
>BTW applying both patches and running the tests works under python3!

Hello,

It has been almost two weeks since I submitted those patches and I had
no information about them.

Are there any other stuff needed to be done before the release?
signature.asc

Nicolas Évrard

Oct 3, 2012, 12:13:25 PM10/3/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
* Nicolas Évrard [2012-09-26 12:05 +0200]:
>>>* Simon Cross [2012-06-14 00:36 +0200]:

>>>I added a patch on the ticket with the suggestion of MikeP. All tests
>>>passes.

>>>I made a ticket and a patch for those tests:
>>
>>BTW applying both patches and running the tests works under python3!
>
>Hello,
>
>It has been almost two weeks since I submitted those patches and I had
>no information about them.
>
>Are there any other stuff needed to be done before the release?

No answer in one week.

Since I really would like to see python3 support for genshi I would be
interested if there is a way to make it happen.

Any pointer would be really appreciated.
signature.asc

Alessandro Molina

Oct 4, 2012, 9:58:13 AM10/4/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicolas,
I'm quite interested too as we are working on Py3 support in
TurboGears2 and we have an already working branch using the currently
not released version of Genshi.

If there is away the TurboGears team can help let us know, we would be glad to.

Bests,
Alessandro

Nicolas Évrard

Oct 19, 2012, 12:19:25 PM10/19/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
* Alessandro Molina [2012-10-04 15:58 +0200]:
>Hi Nicolas,

Hello Alessandro,

>I'm quite interested too as we are working on Py3 support in
>TurboGears2 and we have an already working branch using the currently
>not released version of Genshi.
>
>If there is away the TurboGears team can help let us know, we would
>be glad to.

What do you think of working on a genshi3 module that we could
maintain somewhere on github/bitbucket and then release on pypi.

Our project would depend of genshi when using python2 and on genshi3
when using python3 to run the setup.py script.

We would sync the repositories with upstream which should not be that
difficult given that there was no commit since at least six months.
signature.asc

David Fraser

Oct 19, 2012, 1:16:30 PM10/19/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Having genshi in a distributed vcs, even if subversion remains as the main source for now, would help a lot.
So far there's https://bitbucket.org/edgewall/genshi (Mercurial) and https://github.com/edgewall/genshi (git, but empty), and I've got https://github.com/davidfraser/genshi as a git-svn mirror, but it's not showing all the tags.
Is there an official plan for edgewall projects in general?

Cheers
David

Alessandro Molina

Oct 19, 2012, 5:13:31 PM10/19/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
I would really prefer to have only one official package, especially
because a working version of genshi on python3 is probably not far
away considering that I have been fairly able to run most of my
TurboGears2 applications on Python3 using the genshi trunk.

Nicolas Évrard

Oct 22, 2012, 2:50:37 AM10/22/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
* Alessandro Molina [2012-10-19 23:13 +0200]:
>I would really prefer to have only one official package, especially
>because a working version of genshi on python3 is probably not far
>away considering that I have been fairly able to run most of my
>TurboGears2 applications on Python3 using the genshi trunk.

Well I agree with you but the lack of reactivity of the team is to say
the least worrying.

So either we choose to switch to another template engine (but with
some inconveniences, at least, for my users and probably also some
missing features) or we find a solution to make genshi usable under
python3.

After a few month, I decided to choose the last option, this solution
is to create another package but I am willing to accept any other
possibility.
signature.asc

David Fraser

Oct 22, 2012, 2:16:06 PM10/22/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Are your issues only the actual release, or do you have other problems running Python3 on genshi trunk?

Cheers
David

Nicolas Évrard

Oct 23, 2012, 5:55:00 AM10/23/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com
* David Fraser [2012-10-22 20:16 +0200]:
So far I don't have any problem running python3 on genshi trunk.

But making release is good for software : it makes them alive. pypi is
also a big part of the python infrastructure and without a genshi
release we're blocking every framework/library from switching to
python3.
signature.asc

Richard Mitchell

Nov 23, 2012, 11:02:07 AM11/23/12
to gen...@googlegroups.com, ni...@openhex.org

On Tuesday, 23 October 2012 10:55:22 UTC+1, Nicolas Évrard wrote:

So far I don't have any problem running python3 on genshi trunk.

But making release is good for software : it makes them alive. pypi is
also a big part of the python infrastructure and without a genshi
release we're blocking every framework/library from switching to
python3.

Same here, no problems with Python 3.2 on trunk.

What's the hold up? Better to have a Python 3 release out there and people using / testing against it than no release at all if you're waiting for it to be perfect. This is blocking many packages downstream from supporting Python 3.