GSoC project idea for a lightweight chat plugin

Hasanga Somaratne

Mar 10, 2016, 3:56:14 PM3/10/16
to Genome Informatics-Google Summer of Code Group
Hi,
 I'm a student from University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The idea of a lightweight chat plugin sparked my interest as I have been recently
working with WebSockets via Socket.io for NodeJS. I think it would be a simple and lightweight enough solution to implement the functionality.
Examples of Socket.io projects that I have contributed to can be found here and here.

Expecting a reply soon.

Regards.

Scott Cain

Mar 10, 2016, 4:15:29 PM3/10/16
to genome-in...@googlegroups.com, Ian Holmes, Eric Yao
Hi Hasanga,

Good luck,
Scott
> --

Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

Ian Holmes

Mar 21, 2016, 7:33:12 PM3/21/16
to Scott Cain, genome-in...@googlegroups.com, Eric Yao
Hi Hasanga,
Further to my last email, I also recommend reading this guide:
Best, Ian

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Ian Holmes <ihho...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Hasanga,
Great to hear you're interested in the project!
Socket.io could work. We do already have a faye server running as an (experimental) part of JBrowse, and that can use websockets as an optional transport. I was thinking it would be easier to latch onto that, though i guess you should write the proposal how you think it would work best.
Cheers,
Ian