Re: [Genome Informatics] [GSoC 2013] Reactome Search project

Robin Haw

Apr 16, 2013, 9:58:02 PM4/16/13
to genome-in...@googlegroups.com, David Croft
Dear Claudiu,
Thank you for your interest in the Reactome search project. If you have any specific questions, please direct them to David Croft, cc'd on this email.
Good luck with your proposal submission.
Regards,
Robin Haw

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Claudiu Olteanu <olteanu.vasi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there!

My name is Claudiu Olteanu, I'm from Bucharest, Romania and I study at the University 'Politehnica' of Bucharest, the Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers Science. I'm a third year student and I would like to participate to GSoC this summer. After I took a look at the projects list I decided that it would be interesting and motivating to work on Reactome Search project

I will appreciate it if you give me more details about them and some advice that can put me on track.

You can find my CV here[1] in case you want to know more about me.

Regards,
Claudiu

David Croft

Apr 23, 2013, 9:08:19 AM4/23/13
to olteanu.vasi...@gmail.com, genome-in...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claudiu,

> My name is Claudiu Olteanu, I'm from Bucharest, Romania and I study at
> the University 'Politehnica' of Bucharest, the Faculty of Automatic
> Control and Computers Science. I'm a third year student and I would
> like to participate to GSoC this summer. After I took a look at the
> projects list I decided that it would be interesting and motivating to
> work on Reactome Search project
>
> I will appreciate it if you give me more details about them and some
> advice that can put me on track.
>
> You can find my CV here[1] in case you want to know more about me.

Thanks for your interest in the Reactome search project!

We would like to use a Lucene-based search platform called EBeye to
search our database. It is currently being used for the databases at
the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), but it does a very bad job
with Reactome data, because it is not using any domain-specific
heuristics for sorting results.

You can try EBeye on this page:

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/s4/

There is more detail about EBeye here:

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ebisearch/documentation.ebi

A full research paper can be found here:

http://bib.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2010/02/11/bib.bbp065.full

You can download the Reactome source code bundle from:

http://www.reactome.org/download/current/GKB.tar.gz

You will find our current sorting heuristics under:

GKB/modules/GKB/SearchUtils/ResultsRanker.pm

I hope this gives you something to get started on, please let me know if
you have any questions.

Cheers,

David Croft.