[GSOC 2013] Questions regarding Reactome Smartphone application

Bhargav Golla

Apr 17, 2013, 12:29:55 PM4/17/13
to genome-in...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I am Bhargav Golla, a Computer Science undergraduate student from India. I am an avid mobile app developer. I worked on Phonegap apps during GSoC 2012 with Apache Software Foundation and have developed many Windows Phone apps. I am also well versed with native android app development. I have developed Android app[1] for Exotel Techcom Pvt. Ltd. and it is being used by its clientele of over 2000 firms. My github account[2] will provide much more details about my developer expertise.

In my search to find an organization that has challenging problem statements in Mobile application areas, I found Genome Informatics and was very much interested in the Reactome Smartphone application project. While I was trying to come up with a feasible solution and plan to write a good proposal, I got a few questions.
  • There seems to be a lot of functions Reactome REST API does. Should the student proceed with utilization of all functions? If there is any priority order by which one needs to finish these features, could that be shared?
  • Is there any existing web or desktop client which could be used to get an idea of all the features one needs to incorporate into this app?
  • Was the possibility of building native apps considered?
I would be very much obliged if I am provided with answers to these questions and whatever questions that may arise in future as they will help me in writing a good proposal and in turn get chosen to Genome Informatics.

Regards
Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

Bhargav Golla

Apr 22, 2013, 3:33:54 AM4/22/13
to Guanming Wu, rhaw, genome-in...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I have prepared a detailed proposal for Reactome Smartphone application listing out my ideas, plan of implementation etc. I have attached the same with this mail. I would be very much obliged if I could get some feedback on this proposal of mine.

Thanks in advance

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Bhargav Golla <bharga...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sir,

I understand. I will consider these requirements and will start developing a proposal for this application. If I get any other questions in the meantime, I will definitely ask on the mailing list.

Regards

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Guanming Wu <guanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Native app is an option. However, we hope that the final product may work at multiple platforms, at least Android and iOS.

Regards,

Guanming

On 4/18/13 2:10 PM, Bhargav Golla wrote:
Sir,

Thanks for all your answers. Owing to your answers, I now have a better idea of the project. I have one more question, was the option of building native apps considered? I do have expertise with both Phonegap and Android Native app development. I do know that with Phonegap apps, we have a benefit of building apps for most of the mobile platforms at once. But native apps are known to be faster than Phonegap apps. I was wondering if there was any thought put towards this issue.

Regards

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Guanming Wu <guanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bhargav,

Thanks for your interest in our project!

The imagined mobile app for Reactome should be a stripped down version of this pathway browser:

http://www.reactome.org/entitylevelview/PathwayBrowser.html#DB=gk_current

It should provide a simple search feature for pathways, which may need some new features in our RESTful API. We will take care of the RESTful API part.

I imagine the starting activity, page or window should list the top level pathways as described in our pathway browser (http://www.reactome.org/entitylevelview/PathwayBrowser.html#DB=gk_current) for the user to start with. When the user selects a pathway, the detailed information should be displayed somehow, containing mainly text description about the pathway. Also the user should be able to navigate to the selected pathway's descendent pathways.

It is not required to display pathway images considering the smaller screen size. Also no analysis should be considered.

Please let us know if you have other question.

Thanks,

Guanming

On 4/18/13 7:33 AM, rhaw wrote:
Dear Bhargav,
Thank you for your email and interest in the Smartphone app. I don't
think we'd want to use all the functions of the Reactome RESTful API.
I've cc'd Guanming Wu, the mentor of the project, who'd be in a
postion to tell you which functions might be more important.
Regards,
Robin

On Apr 17, 12:29 pm, Bhargav Golla <bhargav.go...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

List of links:
[1]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.exotel.mobile
[2]https://github.com/bhargavgolla

Regards
Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani
ReactomeSmartphoneApplication_GenomeInformatics.pdf

Bhargav Golla

Apr 28, 2013, 5:12:23 AM4/28/13
to Guangming Wu, rhaw, Marc Gillespie, genome-in...@googlegroups.com
Sir

It is great to know that the present proposal appears good enough to you. I will definitely continue my interaction on Google group and on Melange.

Regards

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Guangming Wu <guanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bhargav,

I think the mock-ups are pretty good.

Actually it will be nicer if we keep our communications with melange, so that other mentors can see these exchanges too.

Best,

Guanming

On Apr 27, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Bhargav Golla <bharga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sir

I have updated my proposal on Melange. You can find it here. (http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/bhargavgolla/20001) I would be very much obliged if you could provide me with some feedback regarding this. The new mockups I made are also attached with this mail. One more change I made to the proposal is inclusion of usage of Twitter Bootstrap to design UI since it will let the app look good on tablets also.

Regards

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Bhargav Golla <bharga...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sir,

I should be thanking you for your feedback. It helped me in making my proposal stronger. I will edit the proposal with new mockups as discussed with you. I will make it a point to include my plans on navigating to Descendant pathways and ancestor pathways.

Regards

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Guanming Wu <guanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Indeed. Thanks a lot for explanation!

Guanming

On Apr 26, 2013, at 4:30 PM, Bhargav Golla wrote:

I think the photoswipe example has made you mistake my intentions. I would not be listing all images at one place. In the description page of pathway, there will be text description and above that, there will be the image specific to that pathway (if that pathway has any image). If the user wants to find the bigger version of the image, he can click on the image and it opens a bigger version. Then he can go back to the pathway description again. I guess I have made my intentions clear.

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 4:24 AM, Guanming Wu <guanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Say, the user navigates to a sub-pathway, and takes a look at this sub-pathway. Then she wants to navigate back to the previous pathway.

Guanming

On Apr 26, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Bhargav Golla wrote:

Also, I didn't understand what you meant by "Also it will be nicer if you can provide someway for the user to navigation back and forth in different platforms." in your comment on the proposal in Melange. Could you please explain the same?

Thanks

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 4:19 AM, Bhargav Golla <bharga...@gmail.com> wrote:
Say, we put a thumbnail in the page with text. If the user wants to view a bigger version of image, he can just click on the image and it opens up in its original size. Does this approach seem better?

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Guanming Wu <guanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, most likely, it seems to me this is not very useful. For each pathway, at most, there is only one image available.

Thanks,

Guanming

On Apr 25, 2013, at 11:44 PM, Bhargav Golla wrote:

I am suggesting that there will be a thumbnail kind of image with text. But user can click on it and view it as a big one where he can zoom in and out on the image.

Bhargav Golla

On Apr 26, 2013 4:40 AM, "Guanming Wu" <guanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't think photoswipe is a good idea, actually. It will be nice to have image and text together somehow. But I know it is challenge with such a small screen.

Thanks,

Guanming

On Apr 25, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Bhargav Golla <bharga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello

I was wondering if my mail has missed your attention. I was asking if my new suggestions about Photoswipe seems good enough.

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Bhargav Golla <bharga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bhargav Golla
Developer. Freelancer.
B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
BITS-Pilani

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Guanming Wu <guanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bhargav,

Thanks a lot for your proposal. I think it looks pretty good.

One suggestion: you may need to think a little more about what should be displayed for pathway information (http://s22.postimg.org/fw8mw93yp/4_Information.jpg). My suggestion is that you should choose text description for a pathway, which is the most interesting part.
I will definitely include the text description in the app.
Also some pathways have some images or illustrations, how do you plan to handle them?
A very simple option could be, providing link to it. A user can open it using his browser. But, I don't find it encouraging enough. So, I plan to implement a gallery page inside app by using mobile gallery library, PhotoSwipe[1].

A pathway can be contained by another pathway or contains other pathways. So a two-way navigation buttons may be needed.
I was considering only Descendant Pathways. I will add two buttons in place of one button in the bottom. One on the right will be for Descendant Pathways and the another on the left is for Ancestral Pathways.
If you like these ideas, I will go ahead and develop some mockups on these lines.

Thanks,

Guanming

<6.PathwayChoice.jpg><4.PathwayInfo.jpg><5.Image.jpg>