ExoGENI decommissioning

Baldin, Ilya

Aug 25, 2021, 5:31:25 PM8/25/21
to geni-...@googlegroups.com

Folks,

I wanted to update you on the status of ExoGENI and our plans going forward. The project is at this point almost 10 years old and the hardware has aged beyond what we are able to maintain with reasonable effort without a wholesale replacement. For this reason we started a gradual decommissioning of ExoGENI sites. Below you can find the expected schedule of the decommissioning process. Note that this does not affect the InstaGENI sites – those will be maintained for a while longer (expected until spring or summer of 2022). In the meantime we are working hard on FABRIC to get it ready for experimenters.

By Dec of this year we expect the last ExoGENI sites at RENCI and UvA (University of Amsterdam) to be turned off and any of the central infrastructure for control and measurements to be turned off as well.

Note, the list below is not chronological. Those sites scheduled on or before Aug have already been or are in the process of being decommissioned.

Site Name

Site type (XO or contributed)

Expected Winddown

BBN

XO

7/2021

CIENA-Ottawa

Contributed

08/2021

CIENA-Hanover

Contributed

08/2021

FIU

XO

11/2021

LAT

Contributed

09/2021

NCSU

Contributed

08/2021

PSC

XO

8/2021

RCI

XO

12/2021

StarLight

XO

11/2021

TAMU

XO

10/2021

UAF

XO

8/2021

UFL

XO

05/2021

UH

XO

10/2021

UMASS

XO

10/2021

UNF

Contributed

07/08/2021

UVA

Contributed

12/01/2021

WSU

XO

8/2021

-ilya

Ilya Baldin, PhD

Director, Network Research and Infrastructure

RENCI/UNC Chapel Hill