Drupal 10

Alex Faundez

Nov 8, 2022, 8:05:24 AM11/8/22
to Geneva Web Group
Hello GWGers,

Question for anyone using Drupal 9 and considering an upgrade to Drupal 10, which is to be released next month (https://www.drupal.org/about/10 ).

Have you been looking into 10 and researched the pros and cons of upgrading from D9?

More specifically, since we are building a new website based on D9, we wanted to know whether it was best to go straight for D10, or wait for a while.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Best,

Alex Faundez
Web Manager @ WMO.

gbau

Nov 9, 2022, 3:05:02 AM11/9/22
to Geneva Web Group
Hello !

I can't wait for Drupal 10! This upgrade is an easy path with a tool like the rector module, it will check for any deprecations you might still have in  your custom modules and themes.

Most of the contrib projects already have a D10 version or aren't that far, see https://dev.acquia.com/drupal10/deprecation_status

Drupal 9.5 is the stepping stone for Drupal 10 and already has a stable CKEditor 5, this one being in my view the most impacting change (think of the CKEditor plugins). Make sure you can run PHP8.1+.

A pretty risk-free approach is to build your new website on D9.5 and test the upgrade to the latest D10 as part of your CI/CD chain.

Shall we organize a Drupal 10 release party in Geneva on the 14th of December?

Cheers,
Guillaume